Does this car seem like a good deal pending PPI? | FerrariChat

Does this car seem like a good deal pending PPI?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Michael Everson, Jun 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Michael Everson

Michael Everson Karting

Nov 5, 2005
    Norton, MA USA Earth
    Full Name:
    Michael Everson
  2. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Yes, it is a fantastic deal. You would be kicking yourself if you passed it up. If the PPI is good, you should buy the car.

3. RBV24961

RBV24961 Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Rye, New York
    The speedometer on that car is from a 1980 model (85MPH), and must have been replaced at some point in the cars history as the car is definitly an early 1978 model year based on the chassis number. Also, beware of no service records, and there are no engine bay pictures?

I would proceed with extreme caution! Get a pre purchase inspection performed. You are so much better off buying a car in the best possible condition at a higher price. Trust me, it will be worth it as soon as you have the car serviced.

4. Orange1

Orange1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2008
    Flatland USA
    Wow, that's weird I have sn28589. My only concern is that I think the speedo is wrong for a 78 308. I thought that the 80mph speedos came later.
    Good Luck!

5. Friar93

Friar93 Rookie

Apr 7, 2007
    I saw this car too.....really interesting if you want o get into an early 308 and in classic colors. let us know how your PPI goes if you pass on it or after you buy it.

I'm looking at 355s but I was really tempted to jump on this just because it 'could' be a good find if all checks out.

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #6 Steve Magnusson, Jun 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
    Maybe it's an optical illusion, but it looks like the front wheels are 8" wide (or the same as the rears)? In any case, they sure don't look like stock 14" wheels so it's strange the seller doesn't mention what they are -- but maybe I'm just not seeing that correctly.

7. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    get a ppi and a compression and leak down test you'll be crazy if you don't,a bad engine could cost you k's of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to fix

8. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Love that "T-Top" description. Just like a 1982 Pontiac Firebird. You know the one - actually has the bird on the hood, slightly rusted chrome Crager wheels, metallic beige paint, venetian blind rear window treatment, wife beater T with rearward facing ball cap optional......

9. Helmut

Helmut Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2004
    It doesn't seem that the seller knows a lot about 308's. If the car really is as great as it looks he would A. show the engine and details regarding service, B. He would mention if the suspension and all hoses have ever been replaced C. He would mention wether or not the car is rustfree. In my opinion if those three things check out you can't really go wrong.

It looks like a good deal but I would be worried about the things he doesn't say.

Helmut

10. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Like the 1980s 80-MPH speedo... not a small detail, IMO, as others have posted. How in the world
    can one believe that mileage? That gauge did NOT come with that car!!

11. rimoore

rimoore Formula 3

Nov 18, 2004
    Island in Maine
    Full Name:
    Richard Moore
    Don't even consider without a PPI.

12. Michael Everson

Michael Everson Karting

Nov 5, 2005
    Norton, MA USA Earth
    Full Name:
    Michael Everson
    Cliffbeer do you think that maybe the "T" was short for Targa??

13. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    +1 Definitely 8" wide wheels in the front, should be 7". Also no engine compartment photos on a car that is priced agressively is deliberate. Who knows what lurks under the decklid. PPI for SURE!!!!

14. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Hi Michael, anything is possible. I've certainly never seen "T-Top" used as an abbreviation to describe a targa top before as far as I know. However, I certainly have seen "T-Top" used many times to describe the t-top configuration present on a firebird of that vintage.

Do you think that maybe the "T" was short for "Totally awesome removable roof?"

15. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Before you decide to have a PPI done I would call the seller and ask a few questions. Prepare yourself by making a list of questions first. No need to go through all the trouble and expenses of a PPI if you're not satisfied with his answers.

16. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Did a '78 come with a centre-console in a different colour than the seats?

Were these the original rearview mirrors, or did a '78 have Vitaloni California's?

I had never seen a pic of the 80mph speedo, just heard of it. Definitely looks very funny:)

17. buckminster

buckminster Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2005
    On the water, SWFL
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Raftis
    My 79 came with a 85 MPH speedo, why do you say it is a 1980?

18. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I think the dashboard, console and arm rests were black as standard. Colour choices were an option for seats and carpets. I think because this car has tan seats AND carpets the black console stands out a bit more. Maybe that's why you noticed it.

19. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    If the car is local to you go look at it yourself.

why does everyone say get a PPI yet you hear all about PPIs that were worth nothing and they still end up with a turd.
    Do the dirty work yourself.

A compression test isnt something that only ferrai people know how to do and its not hard to find rust its the brown stuff and rubber thats bad its the stuff thats cracking, oh and the fuel/coolant hoses I would change them no matter what so I know that they have been changed.

20. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    I think that car is a late 79 going by the sn. The late 79 models came with the 85mph speedo I believe.

21. RBV24961

RBV24961 Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Rye, New York
    Perhaps you have a late 1979 model? The 85 MPH speedometer was installed as a result of U.S. DOT regulations in 1980, and was later recalled. This is documented in both the Keith Blumel Original 308 book, as well as The Complete Guide to the 308 series by a British author I cannot recall.

22. RMDC

RMDC Formula 3

May 15, 2005
    Boston, North Shore

I saw the car - They are 14" wheels with Goodyear Eagles - 215 70 VR 14 front, 235 VR 14 rear

23. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    My car is chassis #25XXX, and it's a 1978 model. The price is interesting. ~ 8k more seems to be the market for these cars that are known items. This could be the cheapest or most expensive 8k depending on how you look at it. Get a good PPI.

24. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    +1. Well said. Couldn't agree more.