Any advantage to re-titling a car in Cali? | FerrariChat

Any advantage to re-titling a car in Cali?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by tuonoR, Jun 3, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tuonoR

tuonoR Formula Junior

Apr 22, 2006
    Recently purchased an out of state car, wondering if it matters if I re-title it in California. Car was purchased from a dealer in Florida and they endorsed the title to the lender.

I had the car registered yesterday and DMV said I can register the car but can't get a California title issued without having the Florida title in hand. Clearly will be a pain in the ass to get a dup issued from FL and do the legwork here to get it re-titled to California.

Any risk / disadvantage to leaving the car with a Florida title? The only thing I can think of is it might be more palatable to a local buyer when I sell it a few years down the road (but clearly I could take care of that when I pay off the financing to sell it).

Thanks.

2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

#2 SrfCity, Jun 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
    These guys will issue a duplicate title if yours is lost. ;) Broadwaytitle.com That way you can take it to CA DMV and have them reissue a CA without having to go to FLA. Check it out. Good luck.

P.S. - if you're talking about an F-car I wouldn't bother. Doesn't really matter as it'll be no secret later that you purchased the car from FLA. Just a matter of personal desire for the most part.

3. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    I have had almost the same issue with a car from Colorado, but i have been told I HAVE to title the car here...and its still on going since March..

Went to DMV , everything was fine. Three weeks later I get the paperwork back in the mail, saying I need the old registration or some proof of registration from CO.
    I got that, sent it back without it I still have a INCOMPLETE registration.

Two weeks go by again, and the paperwork comes back. Still incomplete and now they want the previous title. Without the title, they cannot finish my registration, and its a MUST from what Ive been told at DMV HQ. Long story short I didnt think it was a good idea to have an incomplete reg. so I got the title and sent it back.

who knows what happens now. Do you have a full registration with the out of state title? Were kinda in the same boat..

4. tuonoR

tuonoR Formula Junior

Apr 22, 2006
    Interesting. I had the dealer get FL temp tags (ie 30-day registration so the car could be legally driven) in my name, and the title was sent directly to the lender. In retrospect, I should have gotten the title sent to me then forwarded it on to my bank once I had ordered the CA title, but too late for that.

Did you request a dup title from CO (I'm assuming like you the original title was sent to your bank)?

The person at the DMV said I can leave the car titled in FL, but wouldn't be the first time there was misinformation from a DMV rep.

5. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    You can fill out the Defective Title form and post a bond with the DMV. They will issue you a CA title.

6. happyboy

happyboy Rookie

Apr 30, 2009
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    FARHAN MIRZA
    I have a 2004 Gallardo which I Titled in MI and also have current registration in MI. I have homes in MI and Santa Barbara, CA. I am totally cofused as to whether I can get the registration in CA and still keep the Title in MI. Would that be legal. I am trying to figure out if I need to pay State Tax on the vehicle if I itel it in CA as I paid 6% tax in MI just 3 months back on my Lambo.
    Any advice would be appreciated.