LOTUS: Litespeed Can Not Be Lotus | FerrariChat

LOTUS: Litespeed Can Not Be Lotus

Discussion in 'F1' started by RP, Jun 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Group Lotus plc and its subsidiary Lotus Cars Limited have moved to distance themselves from the recently-announced "Team Lotus" that has submitted an entry for the 2010 Formula 1 world championship, and signaled that they are prepared to take action to protect the Lotus brand name.

British Formula 3 squad Litespeed, which was founded by former Lotus employees Nino Judge and Steve Kenchington, announced last week that it wished to enter F1 next year under the Lotus banner.

Permission to use the Lotus name had apparently been granted by rights-holder David Hunt, however the Lotus company challenged that in a statement released today.

"Group Lotus plc and its subsidiary Lotus Cars Limited, the manufacturer of the legendary Lotus Elise and global high technology engineering consultancy, are not connected or affiliated to, nor in any other way associated with the newly-announced 'Team Lotus' that has submitted an entry 2010 Formula 1 championship," the statement said.

"Group Lotus plc will take all necessary steps to protect its name, reputation and brand image."

The news follows a similar statement issued by the Brabham family last week indicating that it intended to challenge Formtech's plans to enter F1 using its name.

2. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Another failure for FOM and the FIA.

Their attempt to lend credence to an F1 championship with a bunch of no-name teams is crumbling.

Max is in a tight spot... he has already accepted applications from teams to race under a 40mm cap. The big names have said they will not do that.

Pressure builds, and something has to give. IMO Max has painted himself into a corner on this one. He'll hopefully lose his job over it.

3. kirill

kirill Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Kirill
    They weren't able to kick that freak out after the nazzi spanking scandal, he will wash off this one as well.

4. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Every dictator gets complacent and thinks they can do whatever they want. Max is no exception. There have been a few times when his future was on the line, and Max was able to manipulate the rules to keep himself in place. The Nazi hooker thing is just one of those situations - he ensured that podunk places had equal votes to important places, and when the USA's vote is cancelled out by Senegal's, all he has to do is convert a few nothings to his side and he wins.

Don't think it didn't go without a fight and without a lot of backroom dealing.

However, if he succeeds in killing F1 by driving away the core, then it's unlikely he could conjure up an argument for running for re-election. Furthermore, since the big teams make lots of $$$ from racing (in terms of exposure and promotion), they can go race elsewhere, either in their own series or other existing series'. If that happens, Max just got neutered becuase he would instantly become irrelevant to F1.

His only shot is to negotiate a truce... except he's an arrogant bastard who doesn't have an honest bone in his body. It's going to be difficult for a person like him to pull off a win-win-win in this situation. That's the only way he could continue to be relevant, however. I personally hope he fails.

5. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    As for the Lotus name ... its really Lotus's fault... they split the name when Chapman died... they should have bought the F-1 name and team as well. I think if Hunt wants to license out the name ... he has every right to. I would love to see the Lotus name back in F-1... even if its not the "real thing"

6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    If they cant do Lotus... there is always BRM... that is a good name that needs to come back.

7. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    If I'm not mistaken, I believe Pacific wanted to add the Lotus name to their cars shortly before their demise. Just as well.

BRM is a good name for Litespeed, I was thinking Tyrrell. Regarding 'Team Lotus' , I couldn't see Proton ignoring the issue.