308 vs. 328 | FerrariChat

308 vs. 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by Steven, Jun 12, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steven

Steven Karting

Feb 6, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Just curius as to the advantages/disadvantages of a 308qv versus a 328, Euro edition versus US edition. Still in search of the right car and I respect the opinions of this group. Thanks

2. vittorio

vittorio Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    Italy
    Full Name:
    vittorio
    All pros for 328 in every aspect, look, power, handling.
    Euro has more HP than US version because is not catalitic so ....... not sure for passing emission tests un USA

3. barcheta

barcheta F1 Rookie

Nov 15, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The looks part is subjective. The rest is all true. Euro 328s make 270 hp. US 260. I've heard a Euro 308QV runs about as fast as a US 328. The looks and feel are similar but the 328 has a polish with regards to switchgear and ergonomics that the 308 lacks. It also has better cooling, AC, electricals... I like the 308 because it is less polished and is in my mind a more pure sports car, shortcomings and all.

4. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Depends what you want. I like the clean lines of the 328 but I hate the orange guages and interior. I really dont think there is much of a performance difference. The hp rating is at redline, so you dont really notice the academic difference.

Any time I race my QV vs my buddies 328 they are nearly identical. (running each to redline to 3rd gear) Shift points are similar, with no winner. I think the euro sheds a few hundred pounds which is a nice advantage.

I like the cooling difference with the radiator setup of the 328, but they are extremely similar cars.

I also hate the little horn logo on the center steering wheel on the 328. I like the stitching on the dash of the 328 vs the plain 308 dash.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The 328 has a better interior and better AC if that matters.

6. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George
    I like the front nose of a euro 308 better than the 328. Euro anything is more fun to drive than the US versions. 328, otherwise, are "better" in practically all aspects from a 308.

Ace

7. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have owned 3 308's and 3 328's (yes, I am sick). None are fast or great handling by today's standards, so I would not worry about small performance differences. All are fun. I like some aspects of both models better than the other but the big thing in my mind is that the 328's have been much less needy. The electrical, cooling and ignition systems were all signifcantly upgraded. All 3 of the 328's I have had have been extremely reliable over the combined 10 years (and counting) I have owned them. The only common issue it has which is also shared with 3.2 Mondials is the tachs go bad. You take it out, ship it, and for about 150 bucks it's all fixed for good.

Dave

8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If you have the budget, go for the 328. More power, lighter, better built, better brakes/steering/wheels/tires, seemingly better rust protection, improved electricals, etc. A Euro QV is a fine car, but hard to register in some states that have smog tests. A U.S. QV will be significantly slower than a 328, due to a few hundred pounds of battering-ram bumper weight, if that matters to you.

But, they're all pretty much cruising cars now -- 0-60 in 6 seconds (U.S.-spec 328) doesn't win much these days. ;)

The only 308 I would take over a 328 would be a Euro fibreglass car, which is light and made decent power.

9. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    FWIW, I went from a US 328 to a Euro 308QV. I originally bought the 328 because folks said to get the 328 as it is better than the 308. However, I really preferred (and still do) the exterior look of the Euro 308 versus the bottom-weighted look of the 328. I also actually dislike the 328 front end (a bit too "kit car-ish" to me - no offense intended to 328 owners). Interior-wise, I also prefer the 308 more "classic" center console. Again, as somebody mentioned, looks are subjective.

Although I can detect some dynamic handling differences, they have very similar characteristics. Engine-wise, my 308 feels a bit more rev-happy and seems better in the top end. Again, please keep in mind that I'm comparing my Euro 308 to my ex-US 328. Quality-wise, my old 328 had the slight advantage, although my 308 AC is better (this may easily be car-specific).

I've now owned the 308 longer than the 328...

Euro 308 > 328 > US 308.

10. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I've been on the track with my 308 next to a 328, and there's no power or handling difference to speak of. I hear all these claims of performance - I don't get it. It takes an F-40 or TR etc to notice a difference. The newer car has nicer amenities. Buttons / switches / HVAC etc. IMHO, the older cars have more character and the newer cars are more refined.

11. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Maybe not, but OMG.... you know what I mean Mr. Fighter of Bulls :)

Jedi

12. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    When I was a teenager in the 60's, a stocker that pulled 6-to-7 second 0-60 times and could run a low-15's quarter mile at 90 mph+ was very respectably quick.

Few roadgoing European sports cars could come anyhere close to that level of performance...you had to spend Ferrari money to get it, and fifteen grand for a car in '66 was big, big bucks...near 3 Cadillacs.

5-second 0-60 times were the province of 289 Cobras, big-block Vettes and special setups.

Anything quicker than that damn near qualified as a fuel dragster.

Does the 308 straightline perform respectably well by those mid-late 1960's standards? Yes, definitely.

I wish my '83 GTS QV had 60 more C.I.D., but it doesnt. I cant help but think that with four liters instead of three, there would be nothing closer to the perfect sports car.

13. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    #14 Nurburgringer, Jun 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Bullsh!tter:

Since I lifted them both a few weeks ago, I'd estimate the bumpers on my US QV to weigh about 40 lbs. each (would bet a nice bottle of scotch that they're no more than 50lbs each). By no means svelte, but unless euro bumpers weigh -60lbs each you're a bit off with 'few hundred pounds'.

Sure it wouldn't hurt to to shave off a few lbs front/rear with (only slightly oxymoronic) fiberglass 'bumpers' - but if you're really going for weight savings and arguably clean looks why not leave them off altogether then like the 308 below?
    The deep 'Euro-boy' spoiler doesn't fit with the rest of the car's lines IMO, and it'd get shaved off in no time on any one of the speed bumps/driveway entrances/parking lot turn-ins that litter the roads in my area.
    Anyway I haven't read or heard any hard evidence that the Euro spolier adds any meaningful downforce/handling improvement either (which it very well may at 140mph+, but probably not as much as adjustable front ride height/stiffer sprung suspension would do), and from the side the lower front air dam doesn't match the rocker panels visually on non-black cars.

ymmv
    Kurt
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Kinda fightin' words, dontcha think? Is it going to make THAT MUCH difference
    either way? I mean, come on...

BTW, nice color but those wheels....

Jedi

15. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Beautifully said. I grew up with 70's and 80's "sports" cars (first set of wheels was an X1/9, then a thankfully short sentence in a glacial Volvo 242, then a nippy 1st Gen CRX Si etc etc), and my father always had Alfas and old Jags, so I managed to avoid the mega-horsepower craze that took hold of my Mustang and Vette coveting classmates.

Ever think about supercharging your QV? There's a kit that keeps appearing on Ebay from a place in Wisconsin. It looks suspiciously legit. Might be the answer to your prayers?
    salud
    Kurt

16. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    And I agree enough to say so rather than just do +1 To me, it's kinda like
    computers - a Commodore 64 still to this day does EVERYTHING it was DESIGNED
    to do - it's only our expectations that have changed.

Jedi

17. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    you're right of course, but it's time for to put the brakes on the runaway "Euro 308s are vastly superior" crowd before all of us US 308 drivers send our red-headed stepchildren to the crusher ;)

BTW - I hate the 70's/80's US bumper laws, especially since nowadays SUV bumpers would impact the 308 somewhere around the windshield base :)

18. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

#19 ferraripete, Jun 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2009
    a better interior? you are dreamin!!! there are few ferraris with a nicer interior than a 308. the dash pod, the guages, the rocker switches...need i go on?

pcb

19. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

great post...puts it all in perspective!!!

pcb

20. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The reality of course is personal preference - a WRX can smoke all of our
    3x8 Ferrari asses in utter embarrassment - it's a stylistic thing IMO - if you were
    to ask 100 people to 'draw a Ferrari' (assuming of course that they can
    draw) and they would draw a 3x8... but that's the care I WANT to drive,
    and let all the other folks THINK it's still a supercar like it is in my own
    deluded mind :)

Jedi

21. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Lots of differing opinions on the interior differences - it just boils down to personal taste really. Me personally, I really like the vintage looking and vintage feeling switch gear of an early 308 v. the obviously more modern switch gear of the 328. No doubt the 328 interior is more up to date and looks more put together v. the 308 interior which admittedly looks a little cobbled together from various Italian componentry and suppliers but that's just part of the character and charm in my book. There's no one right/conclusive answer - go buy the car that lights your fire the most based upon what you like, not what others tell you is better!

22. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    First of all guys its not a contest about the better car as its more subjective like has already been said.I had a 308GT4 with a freshly rebuilt engne and it sounded sweet and pulled hardbut the 328 is a much quicker car.The webers had a bit better punch down low but when the revs came up I founf the 2v ran out of air compared to the 4v,but of course this is not a comparison between these two cars,I liked the interior of the GT4 the best though.I test drove a aust spec 328 which has the cats and the euro 328 which is catless back to back and definately felt the euro car was quicker so I ended up getting it.

23. Steven

Steven Karting

Feb 6, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Thank you for all your observations and opinions. I like to gather as much information before purchasing an automobile, both objective and subjective. I will continue to look and drive until I find the right vehicle within my budget.

24. fly308

fly308 Karting

Jun 23, 2007
    Bend, OR
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Me 328, wife 308 QV we have both. Problem solved.