FOTA's reason for breakaway/Max tried to pull a fast one | FerrariChat

FOTA's reason for breakaway/Max tried to pull a fast one

Discussion in 'F1' started by Wolfgang5150, Jun 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    No wonder Max has agreed to drop the lawsuits. This is unbelievable...
    Did Mosley duplicity lead to FOTA breakaway announcement?
    Mon 22 Jun, 12:30 PM

The reasons that prompted the Formula One Teams’ Association’s sudden announcement that it was to press ahead with its ‘breakaway’ threat are starting to become clearer, with rumours in the F1 paddock that an eleventh-hour switch from FIA President Max Mosley was the catalyst for the move.
    Shortly after midnight on Thursday night, FOTA sent out a statement that following a breakdown in communication with the governing body, it intended to follow through with its menace of organising its own separate championship, well away from Mosley’s controversial jurisdiction.
    According to the BBC, a compromise deal had been struck in principle 24 hours earlier that would have seen all eight of the rebel teams agree to sign up to compete in the top flight in 2010, but when the paperwork was received the following morning, it is understood that Mosley had changed the date until which they had to pledge their commitment from 2012 to 2014 – what is believed to have been the final straw that broke the camel’s back and lit the blue touch paper for the decision to withdraw en masse.
    Following further discussions at Renault’s F1 headquarters at Enstone in Oxfordshire during the course of Thursday, the resolution to split was made – with increasing unease at the autocratic and almost arbitrary manner in which Mosley is ruling the sport, and the feeling that the only way the dissenters can be tempted back into the fray would be if the Englishman were to resign from the most powerful and influential post in international motor racing. However, that is something with which the latter seems far from willing to comply, hinting that in the midst of a crisis, the last thing he would do is step down [see separate story – click here].
    Moreover, there is anger at the tone of the string of press releases issued by the FIA late last week, which tended to depict the governing body as the goodies, and FOTA as the baddies – something the teams argue is at best a flagrant misrepresentation, at worst a blatant lie.
    It is believed that FOTA and Ferrari President Luca di Montezemolo – a man who has become a sworn enemy of Mosley’s in recent weeks – will endeavour to undermine the 69-year-old’s authority at Wednesday’s reunion of the FIA World Motor Sport Council (WMSC), but in the meantime discussions continue, despite the outward finality of FOTA’s announcement.
    Chief FIA steward Alan Donnelly – Mosley’s right-hand man, and one unpopular amongst many of the teams – met with team principals Stefano Domenicali (Ferrari), John Howett (Toyota), Ross Brawn (Brawn GP) and Christian Horner (Red Bull Racing) in the Silverstone paddock on Sunday morning in an effort to try to find some common ground. Mosley has suggested that those four teams are the most receptive to his proposals, contentiously dismissing the other four members – Renault, McLaren-Mercedes, BMW-Sauber and Scuderia Toro Rosso – as ‘loonies’. The problem for the teams is that they have no guarantee that the FIA President will do as he promises.

2. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    There is only so much BS one can endure from this cretin.

3. FerrariF1v12

FerrariF1v12 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 14, 2007
    Liberty City
    Full Name:
    Christian
    max will burn.

4. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    IF this is as reported I'll have to agree with those who say Max has gone off the deep end. His previous statements to the press could, conceiveably, be seen as bargaining manouvers but changing an agreed upon document and not expecting a melt down is delusional.
    While we are all our own worst enemies, Max is in a league of his own.
    This will at least hasten his exit.
    If it is as reported.

5. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1000 LOL..:D :D
    You still needed convincing ... ;)

Will the spineless swine members of the FIA vote him out though..?

6. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Convincing of what exactly?
    Max continues to make it easier and easier for them to vote him gone.

7. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    #7 barbazza, Jun 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Members of the FIA begin arriving for Wednesday's vote on Max's future...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    +1

Last year, after the truth was revealed about him showing what a complete embarrassment he was for the sport, I didn't think it could get any easier to vote him out......this year however, he's proved me wrong. ;)

9. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
  10. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    LOL.. thats about right..:)

+1 so true, Clint..:)

11. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Steve, you know my disdain for him is as big as yours - However, the assumption that the same clowns/bribeable idiots that supported him last year will turn on him now worries me a little - We're talking 120 (?) delegates from podunk nowhere who can overrule (and did) the delegates from the USA, UK, Germany et al.

I sincerely hope you're correct and he gets voted out, but I've still got a bad feeling about it.....

Cheers,
    Ian

12. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Max Mosley President For Life of the International Federation of Sporting Banana Republics?

13. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    +1

I don't really think they'll vote him out. In the eyes of all the delegates he bribed, the current issue with his person is probably less problematic than the sex scandal, and we all know how they voted then.

14. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Yes Ian, I do share your concern with that, although last time you could argue it was his personal life, it doesn't wash with me tho ,I hasten to add, he his a lying twisting scum bag in all areas of his life, work and play.

Politicians and bishops would resign being caught out like that, and do the right thing¬ but oh no not Mosley.

FOTA as I understand will carry on making steps to carry on with a breakaway series regardless, hence the ball is now in the FIA members hands.

I posted this in another thread there is a lot of clout now coming to bear down on the side of the FOTA it will just depend I suppose on what side the key figures back.

Michel Boeri, a lawyer from Monaco, who has headed the Automobile Club there since 1972. His only real aim is to ensure that Monaco retains the prestige of having the Monte Carlo Rally and the Monaco GP but he is too old for the job himself. What he knows is that the Prince will not be happy if he messes up as much of Monaco’s income depends on tourism. So… which side will he be on? Will he want to see the Monaco GP being disputed between a Manor and a Campos, or would he perhaps prefer Ferrari versus McLaren? His crowd is made up largely of Italians…..ermm.

15. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    In the world we're talking about sex is more easily overlooked than money is.
    FOTA has done everything they can to show they're serious and if the FIA chooses to ignore them wishing and hoping that somehow things will come right Max and his princelings will find themselves presiding over a nonexistent empire.

16. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I love "princelings"... that must be a euphimism for a lickspittle :)

I think you are right. I also think FOTA members were probably very surprised some time ago when Max survived hookergate. They probably knew he was a weasel and a briber and a blackmailer but they probably didn't realize the extent of his back-room dealing. I am not sure they will make the same mistake twice and are probably lobbying many of the voters not to vote in favor of Mosley.

But Steve got it right - a wealthy Arab arranged for many of the voters to vote in favor of Mosley, and in return became a VP of the FIA. This time, there isn't much that anyone could offer the voters that would reasonably counter what FOTA would be taking away from them if they departed.

The FIA is probably one of the most corrupt organizations around, but the one thing any organization puts before anything else, is survival. If FOTA leaves, the FIA will be drastically reduced in power. So they can't allow it.

17. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I don't even care anymore at this point. I'm sick of all the politics involved in F1. Shut up and race. Otherwise whatever happens, happens. I really hope they do ditch Max and Bernie for that matter, but I'm not following this crap anymore. If we end up with two series' next year (doubt it very highly), I will watch the FOTA series. End of rant.

18. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    I truly believe your comments are shared by many!

Carol

19. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I *really* want to agree with you Mike - I genuinely believe you are correct.

However, the FIA is never going to set up a Grand Prix in Bum-**** Africa, Senegal, or any of these (*majority* of) voting countries - MM can (as he's demonstrated before) bribe their votes, and they just don't care - As long as these clowns get a hooker/champagne/hotel room/little boy/etc they've got the vote - Not to mention the "dirt" he could fling at you if you vote against him! - It's that power over votes I'm concerned about......

Hopefully, they'll see the light, I'm just not as confident as I would like to be.

Cheers.
    Ian

20. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    When has the FIA ever acted irrationally? :)
    BTW did everyone catch Flav's comments from earlier today? Warning Max and making nice with Bernie.

21. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Well, there was an interesting article I read about Nazir Hoosein who is an FIA Vice President. Nazir is a former Indian driver who ended up helping in forming the Indian motor racing club, the FMSCI. He was elected president of the FMSCI in '84 and went off to be a big wig at the FIA. Apparently the FMSCI thought he wasn't representing Indian motor racing and had done nothing to foster or promote racing in India, so in 1999 they voted him out of the presidency of the FMSCI.

So what did Max do? Well, after being booted from office, Nazir Hoosein formed a competitor to the FMSCI, called the MAI with him as president. Another guy we've heard of before by the name of Vijay Mallya became the president of FMSCI. The FIA decided to 'investigate' claims by Hoosein that the FMSCI was being run badly, and so they sent an observer (along with Hoosein) to check on them. The observer reported back, and the FIA demanded that the FMSCI put 5 people, appointed b Hoosein, on it's board of directors. The FMSCI is a democratically elected group, so there was no provision for this, and Vijay Mallya refused. The FIA immediately claimed the FMSCI was acting contrary to FIA interests and they recognized the MAI as the official motor club of India, granting Hoosein his job back - temporarily. The Indian government realized this was bogus, and refused to recognize the MAI which threw a wrench into Mosley's plan to get his lackey back on the FIA. So, they managed to get Hoosein appointed as a WSMC member representing the Peoples Republic of China. Ironic, considering he lives in India, quite a few thousand miles away.

Nazir Hoosein is a name many recognize... because after getting back into the FIA, he was appointed Chief Steward of WRC, and he has 'served' as a steward at various F1 races.

Now, this is where being a Mosley lickspittle is important... because I have no doubt that being a "steward" for these various races means you get an all-expenses-paid trip to the location, VIP treatment at the track, 5* hotel, car and driver, first class airfare, the whole nine yards. I'll bet you also get to bring along the family for free, paid for by the FIA. I have no doubt Mosley hands out these perks to keep his princelings loyal.

However, it is reported that Nazir Hoosein has fallen out of favor with Max, and in the meantime Vijay Mallya had become chairman of FMSCI as well as MAI, and the goal was to reunite these two groups. Mallya went on to buy Spyker and call it Force India, and many have suggested he replaced Hoosein as Max's darling boy from that part of the world.

Interesting that Mallya was one of the two that rejoined the FIA for next year, under the guise of "commercial commitments".

The other guy to keep in mind is Mohammed Ben Sulayem, the rep to the FIA from UAE. He's the dumbass that crashed that Renault F1 car trying to drag race it a few months back. Apparently he was responsible for getting 41 out of 105 votes to keep Mosley on - with 55 votes against him. It was rumored that he just bribed many people to vote the way he wanted.

I think it's anything but certain that Mosley will be voted out, but, if they keep him in, FOTA won't come back. And they are smart in suggesting that ditching Mosley isn't the main thing - but governance is. I think this is because they know all these backroom deals and blackmailing is going on, so the new king may be worse than the old one. But I imagine all these goobs in the FIA are probably thinking that if they vote in favor of Max, and this leads to FOTA saying goodbye, then they can forget all their cushy trips around the world, and they also may all be in jeopardy in their home countries when their votes come up. All the club reps are sort of like senators - they have to be accountable to their member base. I'll wager many of them are going to have a hard time being re-elected if they vote for Max this time around. And finally, there are clearly a few power brokers within the FIA - sort of like this Ben Sulayem dweeb. If someone like him uses his clearly corrupt ethics to convince people to vote against Max, then it's bye-bye Mosley. I am sure it is no secret to Luca and others that things happened the way they did, and I am sure Ferrari have quite a lot of things they wield that would carry some serious political clout. Ferrari are pretty good friends with a lot of powerful men, and Ben Sulayem may find people more powerful than he will be paying him a visit or call to let him know what's expected of him.

Not only that, but if there is blood in the water, it's likely a lot of these FIA people will be thinking of themselves.

Either way, it will all work out for us, at least... if Max gets a further vote of confidence, then FOTA will be gone for good and Max will become irrelevant, and Bernie will likely go bankrupt. But there will still be F1 racing with the big names next year, under a different name, and for less $$ to attend.

22. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Mike - great post. Your sum is exactly what I've been saying along. Either outcome is good for us............