Flashback...... RIP | FerrariChat

Flashback...... RIP

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by jeffdavison, Jun 13, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    #1 jeffdavison, Jun 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2009
    gone with the wind...................
    FYI...

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Sat, Jun 13, 2009 1:15 pm
    Subject: FW: news flash

This just in...
    I found out last night - just passing along the news. Below is the message from my "un-named source."

>
    > Finally, what we all expected several years ago....
    >
    > Flashback Motorworks is out of business - the entire building's
    > contents and cars have been cleared out. Vanished.
    > I got word of it on Monday evening and then called a friend to have
    > him notify a co-worker that she should check on her three year & $40K
    > Bugeye project that was still there; her husband arrived the next day
    > to find JUST four cars, their's being one of them.
    > The sole employee there said that when he left work on Friday evening
    > then returned on Monday morning, everything had been cleared out. Oh
    > sure, I'd believe that!
    > I wondered if they had planned to notify the owners of the four cars?
    > Or who they told, or vwhere everything went?
    > If I do hear of what the final days at Flashback were like I'll let
    > you know.
    >

and from Bud Mcyntre:

I talked to the manager who is responsible for closing down everything at Flashback and he confirmed that, indeed, they are dead and gone. One of the former managers(Steve/don't know his last name) has set up a new shop in Marietta somewhere and several of the unfinished cars went with him.

Flashback's rent, utilities, insurance and salaries ran $60-70K/month, so they had to do a LOT of work each month just to cover their overhead.

Bud

2. Old World Motorcars

Jun 15, 2009
    Greetings all,

It is quite unfortunate to hear what has happenned recently at Flashback. If you know of anyone who has a planned or in-process restoration project which needs attention, please pass on our contact information. We are located in Tucker, in the old FAF building and are ready to take on new projects. We can handle anything from an oil change to a full restoration and specialize in British, Italian and German vehicles from the 1940's through the 1990's.

Once again, we are sorry to hear about this sutuation and encourage anyone who may have been affected adversely to let us know and we will give whatever consideration possible to help out.

You can reach us at:
    Old World Motorcars, Ltd.
    3862 Stephens Court
    Tucker, GA 30084

770-938-0908

or visit us on the web at www.owmga.com

Michael

3. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane

Well timed 1st post.

4. minimn

minimn Karting

Jun 25, 2007
    Old World Motorcars,

I would refer my friends to your company as I did so often in the past but since you just released of the best mechanics, I cannot do so. Update your web page to reflect the recent changes!

5. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    Business is slow all over. There is a bright side to any misfortune I guess.

6. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    #6 jeffdavison, Jun 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2009
    Since I can't edit the original post, I'd like to say that the text was not originally from George F, but just passed through to him. I just cut and pasted the email that was passed to me. I wish I could edit the post to remove reference to him, but alas I can't...

Maybe the moderators can help me out? George is getting people emailing him and it is not right. I should have done this myself in the original post, so I sincerly appologize to George.

Jeff Davison

7. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Yes I've known about Flashback's demise for several months. It used to be sooo cool to hang out there. It was fun while it lasted! RIP Flashback.

I use Old World Motorcars, they are great over there. Highly recommended.

8. CharlesE

CharlesE Formula 3

Nov 19, 2007
    Johns Creek GA
    Full Name:
    Charles E
    Yes sorry to hear about Flashback. It was always neat seeing the restoration projects and "stuff" covered up under the tarps. They were also very gracious with various car clubs. The Porsche and BMW clubs would have concour events there.

9. Back Marker

Back Marker Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2006
    South
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Michael - Welcome and thanks for becoming a forum sponsor! Best of everything to ya :)

10. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    We visited OWM about a week ago. Terry gave a nice tour of the facility. Everything looked great. I especially enjoyed seeing a very nice 246. My wife enjoyed the 1940 something Willey Jeep [I don't keep up much with anyting older than 1964, so I may have gotten it wrong). Anyway, thanks Terry if you've got your ears on..10-4.

Ciao,
    George

11. Old World Motorcars

Jun 15, 2009
    #11 Old World Motorcars, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks for the welcome Thomas. We are very excited to support such a great site, which brings together such a wonderful group of people.
    George, I am sorry I didn't get to meet you when you were here, but glad to know that you enjoyed your time here. I passed on your remarks to Terry, he said to come by anytime. I would like to open up an invitation to everyone else to come by and see what we do here. You are sure to see something interesting being worked on. In fact, George, you may want to come back over and see the 300SL that Terry is working on now, its a beauty.

All the best,
    Michael
    Old World Motorcars
    770-938-0908
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Old World Motorcars

Jun 15, 2009
    We appreciate the warm welcome to Ferrari Chat and the positive feedback, in keeping things on a positive note, we offer the following response to the member with the concerns listed above:

"The statement that we have "released one of our best mechanics" is unequivocally wrong. It is the responsibility of any good company to ensure their team is continuously meeting and exceeding quality goals and objectives. Old World Motorcars does not take this responsibility lightly. Although it is always difficult to lose a member of our team, it is imperative that each and every member of our team is as strong as the other. We are always seeking new talent that compliments our already strong technical team. Thank you for your concern."

Management

13. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    mike -

i'm friends with ray story and he suggested i check you guys out for some minor service stuff. i guess you guys did some service work on that f40 he and B bought. i have a 03 575. i don't think you guys have a SD2 but assume you can do brake fluid changes, brake work and other such items. steve still work there ?

henry

14. Old World Motorcars

Jun 15, 2009
    Henry, Yes Steve is here and he would be the one to handle the items mentioned on your 575. Give me a call when you are ready and we would be more than happy to service it for you.

Thanks for the inquiry,
    Michael
    770 938 0908

15. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Michael,

I'll be knocking on your door to see about a 30K service for my '97 355, hopefully you'll have acsess to diagnostic tools. (SD2)

Jeff Davison

16. Old World Motorcars

Jun 15, 2009
    Looking forward to it Jeff, give me a call when you are ready.

Michael
    Old World Motorcars
    770-938-0908

17. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Guys, I've known Terry Girone since he was the lead technician at FAF Motorcars back in the 80s. He is THAT good. WOW a 300SL Roadster? That is impressive machinery right there!

18. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I too have known Terry since he was a FAF. He is a great tech and has worked on many of F-cars over the years.

19. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    I was at Old World Motorcars recently and my jaw hit the floor when I saw a Delahaye! Wow that car is magnificent, great job guys. Shop looks great.

20. CharlesE

CharlesE Formula 3

Nov 19, 2007
    Johns Creek GA
    Full Name:
    Charles E
    300 sl reminds me of 1 thing.....gumball rally

21. Old World Motorcars

Jun 15, 2009
    You can actually see the Delahaye in the second picture of the 300 above.

Michael Veraart
    770-938-0908
    www.owmga.com

22. karmavore

karmavore Formula 3

Dec 29, 2002
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Karmavore
    Good riddance.

23. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    ??????

24. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    #24 jeffdavison, Jul 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
    he lives in MD, doesn't own an exotic, not suscribed to Fchat....
    Probably doesn't even know anyone that was at Flashback, let alone ever took a step in their facility nor had any dealings there

methinks he's a troll.

Jeff

25. minimn

minimn Karting

Jun 25, 2007
    I DO live nearby and had heard numerous complaints over the years. One restoration of a small British car tripled in price over the THREE years it was in the shop and it had to be completed by someone else when Flashback closed and rolled it out the door; many of us knew about this and thought it should have been litigated two years ago! Think $40K was enough to charge for a restoration of a decent but tired Bugeye Sprite?

Good riddance indeed!