FOTA Press Conference June 25, 2009 | FerrariChat

FOTA Press Conference June 25, 2009

Discussion in 'F1' started by RP, Jun 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    (wires, SpeedTV, Autosport)

Formula 1 teams believe that their breakthrough deal with the FIA that heads off the threat of a breakaway series is, above all, a victory for fans.

Speaking at a press conference in Bologna on Thursday, the eight members of the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) made it clear that they believed the true victory of the deal that commits them to the sport were the supporters.

Renault boss Flavio Briatore said: "We achieved what we want - an F1 with the best drivers, with the best teams and we want to work to have a better show, entertaining better the people.

"We want to make sure the fans are with us, and make sure the fans are enjoying the fight between drivers. In the last six or seven months there was a lot of talk about politics and costs, and I don't believe this is the subject the fans like.

"The fans like a show, they like a race, and we need to talk about sport again. We are happy to achieve this situation, we are happy to work for that."

Toyota F1 president John Howett added: "This has ultimately resulted in a victory for Formula 1. There should be no victor from either side, and now I think we have the possibility of a very stable, sustainable platform that will enable us to continue F1 with the best drivers, the best cars and the best circuits in the world."

BMW motorsport director Mario Theissen was equally encouraged about what the deal meant for the future of the sport.

"I think it has been a very, very strong year for all the teams, for the co-operation," he said. "It was really exceptional to be part of this process and yesterday in my view we have reached a breakthrough situation in the way that we have now a clear view of the future of the sport.

"It is a fantastic day for the sport, for the fans and definitely for us as teams as well. We have a clear view for the format of the series for the future and I think this is a very strong foundation now to come to an agreement and a conclusion on the commercial side as well. Which we will follow in the coming months."

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner added: "I sit here with a duty of care not just to the fans but to our employees as well and I think that with what has taken place over the last 24 hours with the solutions that have been reached I think it is very, very positive for Formula 1.

"We now focus on the fans, on creating a better show, on creating an even better sport and I think that F1 this year the championship on-track has been a strong championship. Hopefully now focus can be turned back to the circuit and the important factor of going racing. It was great day for Formula 1."

2. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Nice words.

3. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    Way to go FOTA!! Thank you!

4. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Hopefully, it's more than just words and they really have listened and intend to "improve the show". We'll see soon enough.

Any bets on a US and/or Montreal GP next year?

5. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Montreal 70% chance. US 15%.

6. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    So Bernie's next?

7. JoeGuitar

JoeGuitar Formula Junior

May 27, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Maybe...but with the new structure, it seems Bernie would be outnumbered in terms of political sway...so maybe that statement is in reference to him being marginalized.

8. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Money still talks;)

9. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    We can only pray that's what happens, but......

Unfortunately I doubt it.. As with many companies that are in trouble, they get rid of part of the problem (unresponsive, insular and dumb upper management) but leave the kingpin in place. What they really need to do is clean house at the top, and I don't see that happening. My guess is, expect no real changes, simply the SOS, or SSDD.....