How do you keep your floor mats in place? | FerrariChat

How do you keep your floor mats in place?

Discussion in '348/355' started by tcannon, Jun 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    The floor mats in my 348 continually creep forward and up the throttle pedal. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep them in place? I wish they had pegs in the floor to hook them on. Thanks, Todd

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I have heard of guys sticking velcro to the floor carpet and the back of the mat. Double sided tape should be used and that should stop the mate moving. ;);)

3. James-NZ

James-NZ F1 Veteran

Jun 26, 2007
    Hamilton, NewZealand
    Full Name:
    James
    The 355 has pegs for the mats.....:D

Just saying....;)

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Yup, 355 has pegs, but does not help the OP. I have used adhesive Velcro with one side attached to the mat, and the other side attached to the rubber in front of the pedal cluster....worked great on my 308 and my 328.

5. rivee

rivee F1 Rookie

Jan 20, 2002
    Nowhere important, USA
    Full Name:
    John
    I used Tenex fasteners and posts on both sides of the front.

6. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Someone here used the plastic mat that one would use on your carpet for your office chair, the kind with the long needles that dig in the carpet, he then cut out the shape of the mats and silicone them together. Looks like it worked awesome, I tried to find the thread through the search but the search function on f-chat sucks lol.

7. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #7 No Doubt, Jun 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So does the 348 Spider. There are 4 of the #24 floor mat retaining pegs which appear to me to be riveted into the floor to the outside of the underside of the floor panel. The top half of each #24 swivels 90 degrees. So you turn it horizontally so that it fits through a thin slit in your floor mat (use a razor to make said thin slit right at the edge of the piping if you have aftermarket mats), then swivel the top half 90 degrees to make a cross.

Then the floor mat won't move forward.

The #24's are cheap. Less than $6 at Ricambi. Get a factroy look for that solution.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    Thanks No Doubt! That looks like the best solution to my problem. Thanks, Todd

9. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You are awesome No Doubt!

10. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Just helping out the Brotherhood, guys!

11. 50hdmc

50hdmc Formula 3

Oct 10, 2006
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    mark s
    thanks NoDoubt....same problem

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Problem with sliting a floormat is that you end up ripping it as you slide in and do things like push your 150lbs back into your seat by pushing your feet against the floor. The best solution I have seen is the rubber thingamagigs on the GM cars that will release the carpet by bending before it rips the carpet. Then the bent thing springs back because it is rubber. I don't know how to retro fit one of those things into our cars but it would be the best solution.

13. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #13 No Doubt, Jun 30, 2009
    Now as usual, our good Stooge FatBillyBob is correct.

But...

Ferrari thought of his problem, too!

So there is a happy ending to this story. More than that, this is perhaps an example of the very *best* value that you can buy in Ferrari OEM parts.

You see, that part #24 mentioned above comes with the two halves of a floor mat ring fastener. So not only do you get the moveable cross latch, but you also get a fastener that works equally well on OEM or aftermarket floor mats, all for less than $6!

Tres coolio, hipsters...

So in picture #1 below you can see my aftermarket cavillino floor mat with the two halves of a floor mat ring fastener laying upside down.

One half of the fastener has little metal tabs. That's the half that goes onto the top, visible side of your aftermarket floor mat in the slit that you already cut with your razor so that you mat would fit snugly over the #24 locking tab in your Ferrari 348 spider (mmmm, Buehler, class, anyone?!).

You put the other half of the fastener underneath your floor mat and press the two halves closer together. Then you tap down each of the little metal tabs. This is shown in picture #2 below.

Now your aftermarket floor mat won't exhibit the near-instantaneous destruction from daily use because you've protected that razor slit with a new metal fastener!

Cool...

Then you install your floor mat into your 348 on top of the #24. Once there, you rotate the top half of #24 to make a cross. This is shown in picture #3 below, and that's what locks your floor mat down to keep it from creeping up onto your throttle pedal!

Life is good.

14. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Most excellent NoDoubt! You got it nailed. I stand corrected your solution is factory and workable...in fact I have to order some from daniel as we speak. The little rings seal the deal!

15. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #15 No Doubt, Jun 30, 2009
  16. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
  17. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2007
    Mooresville,Nc (Race
    Full Name:
    Bill Long
    Check out www.birdmanferrari.com for the floormat retainer,works great and cheap!I have no affillation with the company,just a source of parts i use.

18. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
  19. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Yes... they went completely unavailable for a very long time. And to be honest, the new ones are not as complete as the picture shown. Now, they simply include the paddle bit. When they suddenly became available again, the price had jumped significantly.

Honestly, I think its too much money (even at $9) for a pretty weak piece of aluminum.

In my 348, I have the Lloyd mats which have a very "sticky" rubber backing and they don't slide at all. If my floor mats were grommeted, and my floor had drill posts, I'd use the 360 solution which is more robust:

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?products_id=261299

In the end, all these things break. It's the nature of the beast I'm afraid. Perhaps Birdman's infamous "rug muncher" would work in the 348 ?

20. Centurion

Centurion Rookie

Sep 24, 2010
  21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Birdman's clips attach back to the seat base mounting bolts, he sent me prototypes...

22. Centurion

Centurion Rookie

Sep 24, 2010
    And they work fine? I have another idea, a bit unorthodox, but since the insulation under the carpet is torn to shreds and won't hold the Carpet Stay when it screws into the carpet what do you think of this idea. Shoot some hardening insulation spray foam under the carpet so it will harden into a "plug" and then screw the Carpet Stay into the foam.

Another idea would be to that a flat piece of metal with a hole in it that will receive the screw from the Carpet stay. Make the piece of metal about 1/4" wide x 2" long; slide it into the hole in the carpet, then screw the Carpet Stay into the hole. I would sort of work like a drywall bolt.

23. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    At the Texas Mile the Corvette drivers just TEK screw the fire extinguisher bracket to the passenger floor, to get thru Technical Inspection....

Sounds like you need new carpet!!!

Call GAHH for a quote.....it's no laughing matter since the Toyota recall, they found LOTS of slipping mats.

Toyota Factory set up has a hook tho......

24. brianrcollins

brianrcollins Rookie

Jan 14, 2014
    I know this may sound conceited, but has anyone thought of using ferrari cufflinks to fix the mat to the carpet. A simple punch with a small bush made in the recipient part of the carpet and the mat would enable the cufflink to be pushed through both pieces of material and remain in a permanent position. Equally each time you enter the car, your eyes would be drawn down into further opulence.

25. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    You sit in the seat, attach seat belt, and snug it up.

If you need some force to push you back in the seat you put your clutch foot on the side of the foot well where it can rest and push from there. Presto, no forward forces on the carpet, no carpet movement.