Transmission problem on 308? | FerrariChat

Transmission problem on 308?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by losang, Jul 11, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. losang

losang Karting

Feb 11, 2005
    I am afraid to ask because I think it could be ugly but yesterday I was heading down the highway at 80 MPH and I literally lost all of the gears. I almost came to a stop when I finally found second and got it going again. From that point on it was fine as I headed straight home. What do you think it is?

2. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    You will need to be more specific than "lost all of the gears".

3. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven

i suggest you go back to the place you last used them, they might be laying around somewere....

but to follow the previous answer, what EXACTALLY went wrong

4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Could be just linkage adjustments.

5. garybobileff

garybobileff Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 5, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I would check the silentbloc ( bushing) in the shift shaft just in front of the gearbox ( exterior). If this bushing is ok, and not fallen apart, I would then drop the trans pan, and check for a loose piece of hardware in the selector mechanism. To lose all the gears is a linkage /actuator problem, and not a gearbox problem requiring overhaul. Rest easy, seems like a minor problem, easy fix.
    Gary Bobileff

6. rdearing

rdearing Rookie

Feb 7, 2006
    What you will most likely find is one of the numerous adjustment points in the shift linkage (internal and external) has moved,allowing the primary shift fork to jump out of alignment. should be a quick fix.

7. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Nice post!

8. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    This, one or both of the silent block bushings are bad or the fork came loose on the shift shaft inside the transmission case.

Those are my bets.

He COULD get lucky and this be an easy fix, but I WOULD BE PREPARD to drop the transmission pan to get the adjustments correct again and all grears working properly. AND I believe this will most likely be the case.

Oh, and while you are in there, change seals, but in new silent blocks ............. etc.

Don't bother asking how I know ................

9. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I had something similiar happen. As above, the linkage bushing went. after replacing it, 2K miles, the other disintegrated. Do both if one.