360 shifter bushing repair | FerrariChat

360 shifter bushing repair

Discussion in '360/430' started by chrmer3, Jul 11, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #1 chrmer3, Jul 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi all,
    Decided to make a quick post to aid all of you out there suffering from the same problem I just resolved. Just got the car a few weeks ago & prior to that a new kevlar clutch was installed. Everything about the shifting and clutch was great... except one very annoying problem. When shifting above 5k from 1-2 my second gear would not engage, felt like a block was there.. no grinding nothing, was not aligned to drop in. So from reading I gathered was my shift cables... well since there was not much info on ferrari chat I dove in & started to adjust the cables slightly to see what was gained or lost..

To do this you really need a lift, reason why is that with constant tweaking & test rides you will be forever jacking up to adjust unless you have some sort of ramp... OK lets assume you have that handled.
    1. Take the panel off under car. (sixteen thousand screws).
    2. Where cables exit out & end up at gearbox you will see a upper & a lower cable (upper controls distance forward/backward) (lower controls side to side) the lower is what seems to be the one you most likely will need. OK, I am stressing SMALL increments as in couple mm's yields results... so with that in mind - if you turn in will move shifter to the left, unscrewing out will move it to the right. What does this mean? It means if you gain second perfect check 5/6 because now they may have issue.. adjustments will get you right in the middle where everything is perfect... unless...

Here is where my frustration & I am sure others end up... You get second right but now 6th is screwed up doing what second did.. you play more now 2nd & 6th both iffy at times under rpm's.. Finally you realize you are in perfect spot since both 2nd & 6th have issues but you cant get it resolved..

I slept on this & kept looking for the reason WHY I could not get my adjustment (and others here) perfect... Surely a car would not be designed to be "somewhat OK" on shifts... so I got to thinking.. If cables are good, no slack it has to be at the shifter.

Now, my shifter had some "side to side" play & my reasoning was that if there was slight play there it could be lousing me up coming in the gate but not fully pulling over cable. What did I have to lose... So I looked at Ricambis parts sheet & called Daniel. We started discussing it & he had no real ideas of what was common & than he said wait! Hill Engineering makes a bushing out of aluminum vs the original plastic.. They are marketed as basically reverse gear bushing (evidently the plastic original part breaks & you lose reverse). I got excited just knowing (hoping) that this is wear my side to side play was & that Hills part would resolve it.. So I went about removing the center console, shift box, inner assembly & guess what... it was worn enough to make my side to side play & it had a slight crack in it. YEAH! So I got the part in today- put her back together TIGHT & NO SIDE TO SIDE play in shifter.. Took her out for a spin & SUCCESS!! ALL SHIFTING PERFECT!! I did not even have to tweak the cable adjustment under car.. Since I was already in the correct spot. SO, if you have what I expierenced & you have side to side play in your shifter... YOU NEED THIS BUSHING! Pretty easy diy job... About 1 hour to take out & 1 hour to put back in... that is not rushing taking time & constantly washing hands...

So Here is how to replace the bushing...
    1. Remove shift ball & nut below it (17mm)
    2. Remove 4 screws on shift gate (#2 Phillips)
    3. Remove ashtray, remove 1 phillips holding ashtray assembly, remove 2 electrical connectors on ashtray.
    4. Remove the allen screw under the assembly you just removed.
    5. Remove the leather flat piece at back of console behind e-brake, its just double sided taped in. (dont chow your leather)
    6. Remove the 13mm bolt.
    7. Undo the big electrical harness located in there, push a button on side pulls apart.
    8. CAREFULLY lift console up & out (you will notice a black plate below e-brake) thats on a spring it will push down so you can glide out easily.. remember this on reassembly to hold that spring plate down to get e-brake back in console).
    9. have a sip of beer & stare at how easily the console came out- call the wife- look honey - I can work on these..
    10. Under shifter you need to POP the right side cable out of its socket. (hint- carefully wrap shifter with something so you can position vise grips on handle - resting on box so when you push down on socket the shifter does not push down with you- you will see what I mean..)
    11. I used 2 screwdrivers side by side & prised on box to pop the socket out. It does take force- have no fear (something will give :) )
    12. On left side cable, held in with a plastic push pin, use a thin blade & just pry out (will come right out) cable will fall off.
    13. disconnect electrical coupling to reverse switch.
    14. Take a screwdriver & pop up the 2 retaining clips holding cables in shift box.
    15. Remove 4- 13mm bolts holding shift box.
    16. Using 2 10mm wrenches remove the socket from the right hand cable (remember position the socket was on threads). Left cable end can stay on.
    17. Lift shift box out of car & on your bench.
    18. More beer & self praise for your accomplishment so far.
    19. On shift box remove the c- clip on side - remove round plate, spring, sleeve, & the pin that slides through shift rod.
    20. You will need to pop the black square off the end of the pin that slides through.
    21. Handle is now in your hand & drive the pin out of shift handle - slide off reverse lockout & spring.
    22. Replace your damaged bushing.

Installation is reverse of removal :)
    Congrats- you just solved what many have given up on. You will be rewarded with perfect shifting (as long as no other issues).

Hope this helps someone. Frustrating not being able to shift under speed!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

cavlino, TuttoBene and f355spider like this.
  2. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Great write up Chris
    Glad your enjoying the 360......

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Jackpot!!! Glad I could be of some small assistance on this one! Can I use that excellent picture of the 'bent' crappy Ferrari one on the Ricambi website?

(and score another one for our collective coercion of the FedEx shipping schedules in the Southeast :) )

4. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Absolutely!

Change name from Reverse bushing - sloppy shifting bushing!

5. DMaury

DMaury Formula 3

Mar 27, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    VERY nice write up. Had the same problem with my manual 360 and it was the same problem as your's; the bushings.

6. flipdowt

flipdowt Karting

Dec 13, 2008
    Mahopac,New York
    Full Name:
    John Flip
    great write up and pics...how many miles did the problem start at?

7. toussi1

toussi1 Karting

Jun 10, 2007
    USA
    I assume you can do this bushing repair without even going under the car?

8. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I know others have had that part failing early - enough that Hill Engineering felt enough of a demand to reproduce part out of aluminum vs the oem plastic. This part is also common in the 430 6-speed as well.

I think many break before they "friction wear out" (making the second gear shifting issues)- causing an obvious problem when you cannot get reverse engaged...

Its a relatively easy fix & would also be a great preventative move before the original one does (& will) fail.

9. scoobyc

scoobyc Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    scotland
    can anyone tell me a rough estimate how much play they have in their lever when it is in neutral? Not meaning from 6th to 2nd just the small ish amount of play from left to right that takes up the slack before moving across the gate. Thanks.

10. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    There is basically none-extemely little. If you getting mm's of play- that bushing is the culprit (when you wiggle side to side- not enough to affect cable). If you have issues as described like 2nd being blocked out at upper rpm's that is most likely the cause...

Mine had wiggle prior of a few mm's each side, now after replacement she is tight.

11. flipdowt

flipdowt Karting

Dec 13, 2008
    Mahopac,New York
    Full Name:
    John Flip
    hey chris, i looked at the parts from hill engineering and they list 2 bushings, 1 for shifting ,the other for reverse. did you change both of them or only the one with the part number in the pic?

12. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I have one of those bushings sitting around that I never got around to installing on my 360 - now that the car is sold, if anyone is interested, I'll make you a good deal on it. Also have some spark plugs, plug and washers for an oil change and a Sonic belt tension meter for sale if anyone is in the market for a few parts :)

Ray

13. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

This is the Hill Engineering version:

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?products_id=262563

14. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just the one in picture that Ricambi referenced. Really looks like the only part that will wear in that shift box - unless the little square (part number 172934 - reference #14 for $36) gets broke popping it off (snaps on a ball socket, the pin that passes through the shifter)...

When you open up the shifter box you probably will be amazed how tight the parts are in there... other than the one you replacing. I was surprised that everything fit perfectly in it. Not really designed to have any slop at all in it...

Chris

15. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    bushing sold, thanks!

Ray

16. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That bushing is a small price to pay for perfect shifting!

If Ferrari used a better bushing from day 1- this would never occur... The entire gear shift box seems well constructed with really tight tolerances... until this cheap plastic part wears/fails...

17. trialman1

trialman1 Karting

Oct 18, 2008
    new york
    Full Name:
    steven
    Great write up. I had the same problem. The dealer adjusted the cable and the car was great FOR 1 DAY and now its back. I am bringing the car back with your write up so that they can hopefully get it right this time. !!!

18. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thats most likely the problem....

For your reference it takes a novice 2 hours to do & a $90 ricambi part. I would suggest going with the Hill bushing if they allow you so...

If you take your stick shift & wiggle left to right & have a couple mm's play that is the problem. Amazing garages do not pick up on this as common as it seems...

19. flipdowt

flipdowt Karting

Dec 13, 2008
    Mahopac,New York
    Full Name:
    John Flip
    bushing bought,thanks ray

20. flipdowt

flipdowt Karting

Dec 13, 2008
    Mahopac,New York
    Full Name:
    John Flip
    bushing installed...thanks chris for a great write up and thanks ray for the part. just as a quick note, i did not remove shift box from vehicle, i did the install carefully in car with lots of rags for a neat job. also when reinstalling you will have to tap new bushing onto shaft and tap the rod with the black plastic piece on the end of it through the bushing. very tight machined fit but it is worth the money and time to do it.

21. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Glad to hear the part arrived okay :) That was some quick shipping on the part of the USPS :)

Ray

22. chrmer3

chrmer3 Formula 3

May 19, 2006
    USSA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Glad you were able to replace the bushing while in car. I took it out and did on the bench because I had no idea what it was going to entail finding the worn part.

Shifting like new again? Amazing how it tightens up the shifter left/right play..

Chris

23. dkinghorn666

dkinghorn666 Rookie

Jul 7, 2005
    Chelmsford, England
    Full Name:
    Dave Kinghorn
    Chris, I've had exactly the same problem with my car, and two dealers failed to fix it. Probably started at 20k miles, now with 28k miles it was becoming a real pain. Took about 2 hours to swap out to the Hill Engineering part. You were right about getting the cable off the bottom of the lever- keep pushing and be brave! Just been for a quick drive and the cars shift perfectly. Thanks again!
    (and after 2 years of lurking this was my first post!)

tonyc likes this.