cold start injector workin forever, not stop! | FerrariChat

cold start injector workin forever, not stop!

Discussion in '308/328' started by BlackMondial32, Jun 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BlackMondial32

BlackMondial32 Karting

Aug 27, 2007
    my new problem, my mondial 8 very really fuel consumption, 2,5 km 1 lit of gasoline !!

I change all old 8 injector with new and restored complete CIS , but i believe that my new problems is a "9" cold star injector.
    Mondi start with cold or hot temperature, start no problem. But ..... really fuel smell and high consumption
    I believe that when i start the car the start injector running, and after not stop! forever get fuel in my engine !!
    it's possibile ?

some can save me ?

J
    italia

2. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    For right now if you are going to drive it unplug the blue harness on the Cold Start injector.

The problem is most likely in your thermo-time switch located underneath the plenum chamber. You can test it to verify. You can also put 12V to the cold start injector and see if it engages and disengages. Sometimes they can stick open.
    I am not sure but also check if there is a cold start relay on the mondial.

3. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    The 9th injector can fail "on" in two ways, electrical or mechanical. If it is an electrical fault then unplugging the connector works. If it is stuck open mechanically then it is harder to "unplug." Remove it from the plenum, stick the end in a bottle and turn the car switch to run (no need to start it). If it is spraying unplug the connector. If it is still spraying then it is mechanical in nature, time for a new one. If it is not then it is an electrical issue, but is is more than just the thermo-time switch because the injector is only supposed to get power when the thermo-time switch says it is cold AND when the engine is cranking. Check your wiring diagram for verification.

4. BlackMondial32

BlackMondial32 Karting

Aug 27, 2007
    ok......... i try these two ways.... and after i write my response!

5. Paul308GTSi

Paul308GTSi Formula 3

Oct 26, 2008
    Queensland Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul D
    So where do I get a cold start injector to suit an 81 GTSi ...... ??

I have looked at the parts cross reference and there doesn't appear to be mention of a cold start injector.

I assume it is totally different from the other 8 injectors .

6. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Yes, it is an electrically operated injector, should be a normal Bosch of the shelf item.

7. Paul308GTSi

Paul308GTSi Formula 3

Oct 26, 2008
    Queensland Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul D
    Does anyone know a Bosch part number for this part ? ...........................pleeeeeeeze !

8. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Ferrari #115739 available from Eurospares for under $200.

The Bosch number is probably on it somewhere, you would likely have to remove it to read it.

9. Paul308GTSi

Paul308GTSi Formula 3

Oct 26, 2008
    Queensland Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul D
    Thanks man ,,, I'll do some searching and see what I can find ........... my cold start injector is helping out at random times, usually unwanted , , electrical connection removed months ago.

:)

10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #10 Steve Magnusson, Jul 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Use this as one piece of information (not the absolute definitive answer -- if you can get the PN off the actual part, as Tim suggeted, that would be best), but this Bosch "euro"-based documentation indicates:

K-Jet without Lambda F V8 cold start valve (injector) = Bosch 0 280 170 400

K-Jet with Lambda F V8 cold star valve (injector) = Bosch 0 280 170 401
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Paul308GTSi

Paul308GTSi Formula 3

Oct 26, 2008
    Queensland Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul D
    Hey Steve ... great information thanks mate .

My car is a English / Euro car (36629) with a F106B engine so I figure I need the " K-Jet without Lambda F V8 cold start valve (injector) = Bosch 0 280 170 400 " part. ( if anyone see's me intend to use the wrong part never hesitate to tell me I have screwed up !!! ).
    I am having trouble with hot starts and it seems to be a stuck (mechanically) cold start injector. If I leave it for more than filling up with fuel it can be very hard to crank .... I have pulled to big air intake hose from the intake and opened the throttle butterfly to find a lot of fuel inside the plenum . .. . there is very little to no sign of fuel inside the big flexy rubber hose so I am assuming there is no problem inside the fuel distributor .....................................yet.
    I'm going to replace the other injectors because they look to be very very old and replacements are soooooooo cheap ....... I'm more concerned with the rubber seals which must be ancient and may be better off being replaced too.

Thanks for the help guys .............. any more info greatfully accepted.