Lotus Elise need some education | FerrariChat

Lotus Elise need some education

Discussion in 'British' started by fish78, Jul 15, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    I am easily confused...is the Elise a convertible a coupe or a hard top convertibele? Also, is there a roadster...no top at all...version? What are the differences in the new models vs the early models...are they reliable? Can a fat guy find any level of comfort inside? Tell me what you think I need to know...What amount can decent used models be had for?

2. bcc

bcc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 31, 2006
    DFW Texas
    Full Name:
    Brent
    The ELISE is a convertible (a targa really with the fixed rollbar and flying buttresses behind the driver) that comes standard with a cloth removable top. A removable hard top is available as an option.

The EXIGE has the same basic body style, however it's roof is fixed in place and not removable.

There was a limited (just a few in US) production roadster, the 340R, available several years back. No top, very bare bones, even more so than the standard Elise.

Check out www.elisetalk.com. Lots of great info there as well.

Good Luck!

3. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My favourite car :)

As bcc says Elisetalk is a great resource (now renamed www.lotustalk.com - the other link still works though).

Some specific answers:
    They are all targa's (rather than convertibles) in road registerable form (US) but there is a roadster, the 2-eleven, which is for track only (they can be registered in UK/Europe).
    Elise
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2-Eleven

There are only two models of the Elise available in the US - the standard car which was released in 2005 (190hp NA) and more recently the Elise SC (218hp supercharged). There have been minor changes over the years such as a change to DBW throttle and better seats (probax) from 2006 and updated instruments in 2008, but nothing fundamental.

They are a very simple car with a toyota drivetrain and as such very reliable (but obviously condition and treatment by former owners is significant) with no particular difference between the model years.

As for fitting in one... well - you will need to try one on for size :) The biggest issue isn't fitting in it - it is getting in and out (high sill and low roof if you have the top on). There are owners who weigh in at 250+ lb and there are owners who are 6'6 who use the car daily. This issue is really a personal one.

Cost - you should be able to get an Elise in great condition and low miles for <$30k (but I'm not in the US and not overly familiar with pricing so take that with a grain of salt)

Beyond the Elise range is the Exige which uses the same chassis with slightly different bodywork (fastback) and do not come with a soft top option as standard (but that can be retrofitted as the roof is not structural). The Exige came out in 2006 with the same engine as the Elise but in 2007 that was replaced with the Exige S which introduced the supercharged engine (220hp). There is now an Exige S 240 with 240hp and a limited edition 260 hp version (with lots of carbon :)).
    Exige S

4. fish78

fish78 F1 Rookie

Sep 10, 2004
    Georgia
    I really wish there was a US street legal version of the 2 eleven...it seems just what I have in mind...

5. Aedo

Aedo F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #5 Aedo, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. ND Flack

ND Flack Formula 3

Sep 18, 2007
    DC
    Incorrect -- the roof can be removed -- there is some debate as to whether or not that interferes with the airflow to the roof scoop.

(I should note that I havent paid much attention to the newest Lotus developments, but the Exige of two years ago had a removable top)

Absolutely correct!

7. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    The Exige roof comes off just like the Elise roof. If you want to affix a soft top to the Exige it is easy and replacement soft tops are easy to come by.

There is a kit available that sources air for the intercooler from the side scoops and it is a much higher flow rate than the small mail slot on the roof.

It is a true sports car. Don't drive one unless you plan to buy it.

8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #8 Bullfighter, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
    No.

I love the Lotuses, but as a lean, shorter guy who does a bit of weightlifting I can tell you the seat is snug and you need to be a gymnast to exit the car without falling face-first on the pavement.

Not sure anyone can find any level of comfort inside, but you really do feel tucked in. It makes my Ferrari 328 feel like touring car.

9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Exactly. Two seats, open top, manual gearbox, mid-engined.

Lotus deserves a standing ovation for the Elise/Exige. It weighs a little more than half of what a Ferrari 599/612/California does. An absolutely brilliant car in age of obese computerized disposable "sports cars".

10. JM4re

JM4re Formula 3

Aug 21, 2006
    Nothingcouldbefiner
    Full Name:
    JPM
    I know a guy that goes to my cigar bar that just last week picked up an '06 Elise in orange. 33k 1-owner miles, sold from Lotus dealer here in town for 32.5k I believe with a 3-year ext. warranty. He's about 6' and 200-215lbs and he is rather snug but then again it's his weekend car only. And if it's out then it's likely topless so headroom isn't an issue.

I'm sorry but this is just an asinine thing to do to a street-version of the car. He's putting a fine design under his homemade meat-cleaver. Fewer body panels, lighter, more powerful, less resistance. Why not just strap an engine to a wheelchair while he's at it?

11. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P

I think it looks great for a home job, or even a pro conversion! Not what I would do but then that isnt really the point is it. ;)

After all, most things in life anyone truly loves someone else truly hates.

YMMV

12. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    +305
    I think the conversion he did is awesome. If I had the skills I would love to do something like that.
    :)
    BT

13. vteqe

vteqe Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2005
    long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    The Elise has about the same interior room as my 1970 Lotus 7.

14. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    Just finished reading the thread on that car...

The owner deserves a medal.

Incredible.

Would pay every bit of the asking price for it.

15. ...m...

...m... Karting

Aug 31, 2008
    ...he just dropped his asking price to $32k - that is a righteous steal...

16. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    That sounds like fun :D

17. JM4re

JM4re Formula 3

Aug 21, 2006
    Nothingcouldbefiner
    Full Name:
    JPM
    #17 JM4re, Aug 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Holy crap! What's the speed rating on those tires?