Is a 328 with over 50,000 miles sale proof? | FerrariChat

Is a 328 with over 50,000 miles sale proof?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Fairview, Jul 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    In continuing with my Ferrari education and search, I see a couple decent looking 328s on the market, but they have over 50,000 miles. The service histories seem excellent (and up to date), nice original paint, decent interiors, but they keep getting re-listed for lower and lower prices (now sub $40K).

It looks like the marketplace for 328s is brutal on higher mileage examples.

Does it make sense to buy such a 328? What happens in a few years when I go to resell with a 65,000 mile 328?

As always, thanks for the input.

2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    If all the service is all up to date ..then yes its a great deal! Doubtfull if 328's will ever go up in value.. but I hope so!

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    50,000 is low for a GOOD car

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The market place is brutal because there are always low mile cars out there. Most would rather have a low mile car with less wear.

If you don't mind the wear and tear buy a higher mileage car. If you put a lot of miles on it you paid for them, does that not make some sense?

Don't try to make the purchase of a Ferrari make economic sense. It doesn't, it never will.

If you can afford it, do it you will enjoy it.

If you can't afford it you will never enjoy it so don't do it.

5. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I'm with Rifledriver,

I bought my 348 with 47k and have enjoyed the 4k miles I put on it in 3 months. When I'm ready to change then I get what i get then move on with regrets.

And that is the Ferrari rental tax with a SMILE!

6. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
  7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What he said.

8. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Make him an offer... looks like a darn fine car to me - better than my 328 that I bought at the
    peak of the market for $44.5k (plus $27k to fix all the stuff the seller lied about and didn't get
    picked up on 2 PPIs) with 64k on the odometer. I'm now about to click 70k and it's now a pretty
    darn perfect car.

But as Rifle said - you cannot look at this financially. It's a toy. Buy it and play with it.

GET A PPI FROM A TRUSTED SOURCE - even if you have to FLY HIM IN. Tell him to be brutal in his
    evaluation and you'll be THOUSANDS ahead. Trust me on that one.

Jedi

9. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #9 JoeZaff, Jul 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
    This thread illustrates what I believe to be the biggest hypocrisy on this board...the mantra "just drive it."

The bottom line is that if you drive your Ferrari, you better really like the looks of her, because she will be sitting in your garage FOREVER. People just don't buy high mileage f-cars, regardless of condition, for anything approaching a reasonable price. I have been watching a few excellent condition higher mileage Ferraris, listed and relisted and no bites whatsoever.

I have chosen to drive my car, but know full well that should I continue doing so, at some point, she will be sale proof. This scares me because, if my family was in real financial straights, I would love to think I have significant equity in the car. Instead, ever mile is like flushing money down the toilet. My only solace is that if I could only have one f-car, it would be a Mondial, and I think mine is perfect.

That being said, I continue to think it is irresponsible to tell people to just drive the car, without warning them that if they chose to get out of it someday, all that mileage is going to come back to bite them in the butt.

It is probably easier to sell smallpox then a with 80K miles, a 308/328 is probably more like the mumps.

As a further aside, I wish these potential owners knew (1) just how durable these cars are and (2) the level of fraud existing with these lower mileage cars.

Just my .02

I am off my soapbox now.

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #10 Rifledriver, Jul 20, 2009

And just how is this thread hypocritical? Most agreed with the idea that a high mileage car would take a big hit. Most warned in one way or the other that the mileage was going to cost them so what is your beef?

You define the person I described who is so worried about the financial ramifications that you cannot enjoy the car. Why did you ever buy it?

As far as a high level of fraud with low mileage cars you are full of crap. It is not any different than the rest of the car industry. It is called "Carfax" and not "Ferrarifax" for a reason.

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #11 Rifledriver, Jul 20, 2009
    In 1988 that car suffered severe front end damage. I believe it was totaled. It may have either a rebuilt or a salvage title. In any case it was badly enough damaged it was sold off for parts changed hands a couple of times and someone put it back on the road.

Ad says no accidents. It was listed as for sale in California in 1988 "with severe front end damage"

Stay away.....Far away. Owner is either lying or is not aware of cars true history.

12. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    109,000 + miles on mine. Yup, it's staying around FOREVER. I like it that way, and have enjoyed the hell out of the car.

Resale? Almost nil. So be it.

13. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    #13 bill brooks, Jul 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Fairview

Fairview Formula 3

Mar 16, 2009
    Waynesboro, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jeff Ward
    Thanks very much, Rifledriver. How the heck did you know about all that?

15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I bought mine with 57,000 12 years ago. It rolled 105,000 yesterday. Two track events a year minimum since 1998.

I have never even replaced the clutch in it. These things are strong if you treat them right. Fresh fluids, belt changes and lots of driving. That's all you need to do.

How much fun is that?

16. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe

For clarification, by, "this thread illustrates" what I am saying is that the observations of the OP, illustrate what I believe is the biggest hypocrisy on this board. I am not talking about the contents of this thread at all or any of the advice offered herein. I am talking about the mantra you see on this board repeatedly in different contexts..."just drive the car." But then, as the OP implicitly implied, those that do find themselves unable to sell when they decide to move on to another car, or finances require a sale. Believe it or not, there is a financial piece to buying a Ferrari. Some people intend to sell their F-car one day to use the remaining equity in one car to purchase another F-car, a boat, or a maybe even a pair of gold underwear, who the hell knows. You would think with all the f-chatters subscribing to the importance of a well driven F-car, that when someone presents one for sale, other f-chatters would grab it up. You don't, instead those cars languish while lower mileage cars sell 5 to 1. Basically, IMHO, if you intend on just driving the car and racking up the miles, you might as well pretend the car was a total loss when you bought her (that's what I have done).

As for this comment:
    You define the person I described who is so worried about the financial ramifications that you cannot enjoy the car. Why did you ever buy it?

When it comes to F-mechanics, your the guy...but the people skills, the people skills need some work. I think it is just plain silly for you to question my or anyone's motives for buying a Ferrari or anything else for that matter. However, since you must know, I bought my Ferrari to bother you. That, and the local dealer was out of Pink Caddies with green velour interiors, oh ya, there was also that the other stuff about dreaming about one since I was a kid, finding my perfect car, yada yada yada.

as for your comment: "As far as a high level of fraud with low mileage cars you are full of crap. It is not any different than the rest of the car industry"

You can ride that one all the way in if you want to. First rule of economics: Where there is incentive their is fraud (actually its the second rule, the first rule is Real estate, real estate, real estate ;) ). There is far more incentive to make an f-car marketable or protect your investment by disconnecting the speedo--especially on an older F-car, then there is on a Honda, Mercedes or otherwise. This was particularly acute in the 80's when these cars were bought on speculation. I guess I must be the only one who finds the sheer amount of 80's F-cars out there with ratty worn out interiors, filthy engines, no records, and 15K miles unnerving...maybe its the search strings I have been using.

17. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

When mine hits 40k I'm going to sell it and get another one with less than 20k miles on it. But that probably won't happen in this lifetime.

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    ONLY in a Ferrari would someone consider 50K miles "high" for a car 20 years old. If I told you I found a 1988 Honda with 50K miles, you'd think some kind of time warp or miracle happened. In a Ferrari, that's considered "high". Sometimes, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Here's one thing for sure. Higher mileage cars are great for entry level people to come on board and afford to buy one. As long as the car is properly maintained and cared for, the mileage really means little to the overall condition or risk. I would argue that very low mileage cars probably have less care, less maintanence and are at higher risk than the opposite.

And, what's the point in owning one if you don't drive it?

My last word: you can buy a piece of junk with 5,000 miles on it or 50,000 miles on it or 150,000 miles on it. Junk is still junk if it's been mistreated.

That being said, Rifledriver's research would indicate that this may be junk. So, now you know what to do.

19. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    give me some time...I bet I catch up to you ;)

Your post points out the read rub. My car is 22 years old and it is reliable as all hell. I have gone over my car from end to end, and mechanically I am very impressed with how well it is made. Hence, it really chaps my butt that people think, and the market therefore reflects, that these cars fall apart once then hit the magic 50K number, meanwhile you can drive a 993 to the moon and back and it will barely take a hit.

I plan on driving my car into the ground. However, I have no illusions that I will ever be able to sell her...which is why I made sure I got the EXACT car I wanted before I made the investment.

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Low friends in high places.

21. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Two points I want to make:

#1 - There are a LOT more cars out there that have way more that 50,000 miles than you would think. Many of those same cars show only 20-30k on the odometer. Never believe what you see. That is the safe bet.

#2 - If the market thinks a 50,000 miler is a piece, that's just good news for those of use who know better. We get to pay less for a better car...

Bottom line is there is nothing, and I mean NOTHING, wrong with a 3X8 with 50, 60 even 70K+ miles on it. Not a damn thing. Me and a bunch of others around here are walking talking proof of that fact. Period.

22. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #22 JoeZaff, Jul 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Unless it was driven by this guy...never buy a car driven by this guy...I don't care what anybody says.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. jb74

jb74 Rookie

Mar 18, 2008
    #23 jb74, Jul 20, 2009
    I would be curious how you know that as well. Especially since the car seemd to have lived on the east coast for all its life. I have the records, etc. It is my car. In addition, I have had it up on my lift and inspected it pretty well while doing a whole slew of maintenance and do not see any signs of what you describe. Car drives fine, etc. Handles fine, looks fine.

Serviced in NY by Kessler Motor Cars. Purchased by another owner in Silver Spring, MD where it was serviced, etc, and stayed in MD until it was traded in on another car in 2008. I bought the car from Sports Cars Company (La Jolla, CA) in 2008.

Please share your information and source so I can clear this up.

24. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ooooo.... the plot doth thicken!!!

IMO, based on what your car shows on eBay and notwithstanding Rifle's commentary (whom I do
    respect greatly on this board), I'd buy it in a second if I didn't already have one that I'm into
    almost 70k with almost 70k. One number is miles - the other dollars.

Jedi

25. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If you have two, nice, identical cars except one has 30K and the other has 50K and the 30K car is priced at 45K and the 50K car at 40K, which one would most buyers go for?

Every mile we drive our cars reduces the value. If you can't face this fact, don't drive one.

I do know some very nice cars with miles, but those cars don't seem to ever be offered for sale. It seems like the higher mileage cars that are for sale are nearly always kind of tatty or have stories.

Dave