Caravan to CI from the East Bay? | FerrariChat

Caravan to CI from the East Bay?

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by BLACK HORSE, Jul 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Anyone going to CI this year and would like to caravan from the East Bay (Dublin, Pleasanton, Livermore) area on Friday Aug 14th? We can meet at the Starbucks in Dunlin were we hold the Saturday coffee meets 7am.

2. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    I need to be at the CI very early.since I have to place the car by 9am.I'm leaving from Sac.

3. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Okay... no problem.. Anyone interested caravan, we can meet in Dublin at 6am, it takes about two hours to get there. I too placing my car on the green. Any other takers?

4. SillyPuppy

SillyPuppy Formula 3

Aug 2, 2005
    I'm planning on heading down with irondogmike - Mike, gimme a call soon (I'll send you a PM with my phone number), and we'll figure out who's coming and whom we can pick up along the way from Sac. :)

Orrie

5. flyinlo

flyinlo Karting

Apr 30, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Lo
    I may be able to join up with you guys if I can figure out where to join up as you pass the south bay. I'm in San Jose.

6. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hey Jeff... Can you pick a local coffee place like (Starbucks, Petes) that is easily to get to from HWY 101 and we can swing by to get you and any other people who want to caravan down to CI? Can you PM your cell to me?

Rob

7. flyinlo

flyinlo Karting

Apr 30, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Lo
    Hi Rob,

Let me go figure out a good spot off of 101 in south San Jose. PM sent.

Jeff

8. SillyPuppy

SillyPuppy Formula 3

Aug 2, 2005
    #8 SillyPuppy, Jul 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
    Good work, gents - so I'd like to propose the following (PLEASE correct me if my times/locations/etc. are wrong, or if this just doesn't work for you guys...):

Sacramento people to meet at Starbucks off of I-5 and Laguna Blvd. in Elk Grove with a 4:30AM departure from there in mind.
    We'll head down I-5 and 580 to Dublin (101 miles, approx. 90 minutes with empty roads), be there at 6 and snag the Easy Bay folks.
    From there, it's about 40 miles (an hour, give or take, most likely a little less) to San Jose (I estimated to Blossom Hill and 101). Pick up those folks at 7, and head down to Monterey from there.

I'm not headed to CI itself, just to the Automotive Epicenter of the Western Hemisphere for the weekend (anyone else going to the Baja Cantina F-Chat meet?), so at some point, I'll break off, but I'm looking forward to having lots of company going down to Monterey!

Also, does anyone know of any group drives that are planned?

Orrie

9. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    this works for me.
    count me in Orrie. and I'll call you soon
    Mike

10. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    Rob, this may work out and your placing your car on the green @ CI? If so I'll be with you most the whole way then when we meet up.

11. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    That would be great since we have the same car.... ;) Can't wait to meet you!

PS.. Yep I'm also placing my car on the green at CI

Rob

12. Terculees

Terculees Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrei C.
    Orrie, do you have any concrete plans for Friday? I would love to go / cruise on Friday, but I'm not going to CI. If you can come up with stuff to do in the area (besides the Aquarium, which is always awesome!) I would love to join you for Monterey / Carmel fun away from the big events, and I'll even take the day off work for this.

Andrei

13. toddjw73

toddjw73 F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2004
    Nor-Cal
    Full Name:
    Todd Westbrook
    #13 toddjw73, Jul 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
    For those driving down from Sac, remember the traffic @ I-5 to 205 interchange. Even though it is now 3 lanes in both directions, it still get congested a little. As long as you can get to Dublin by Robs 6:00 head out time from Dublin you should do okay. I will be down there most of the week as I will be helping out at Laguna, but I will be down the hill for CI to meet up (no car) with the group. Rob has my #, so I will meet up once you are in and parked on the green. Looking forward to seeing everyone & meeting some that I have not met yet.

If anyone goes to the Aquarium, expect to be there for at least 4 hours. I went the Tuesday before Moto GP and that is how long it took to go through it all. I had not been there for about 4 years.

14. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    my vin #52969,whats yours

15. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    My vin #54049

Rob

16. SillyPuppy

SillyPuppy Formula 3

Aug 2, 2005
    #16 SillyPuppy, Jul 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
    Andrei,

Sorry - didn't see your post there! We don't have anything solid planned for Friday. My wife, my best buddy and I are heading down just to be a part of it, and take a nice long weekend away from the Sacramento heat. Given that we'll be in Monterey while it's still morning, we have all day to do anything interesting. I'd like to check out the impending auctions for that weekend (not that I'm going to get anything, but I like to see what's on the block), and we've got a bunch of restaurants lined up for the weekend, but other than that, it's pretty unstructured for us.

Was thinking of heading by the Khaki's event this year, and maybe even heading down the PCH a little just because we can. I'm sure those more local to Monterey can suggest nice twisty backroads for us...

Anyone else from Sac planning on meeting us for that early drive to pick up the others and to get to Monterey/CI early on that Friday? Speak up, or we won't know to wait for you there!

Orrie

Edit / Side note: This is post #355 for me. W00t!

17. Terculees

Terculees Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrei C.
    Ok, plans finalized - I am coming on Friday after all! Orrie and Mike, I'll see you guys at the Laguna Starbucks and follow all the way to Monterey. I'm not attending CI, but I will split off in Monterey and just enjoy the day in the city with my friend, then join fellow FChatters at Baja.

I will have plenty of photo/video gear in tow and a passenger with a trigger-happy photo finger, so I will try to get photos and video of the convoy at different stages ;-)

Time to order a new set of tires for the Lotus so I can be all set for that weekend.

18. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    GREAT glad your going and bringing the photo/video gear

19. SillyPuppy

SillyPuppy Formula 3

Aug 2, 2005
    Awesome! Will be great to have you along - remind me to ask you about Gumball stuff when I see ya!

Can we be expecting any other early birds that morning?

Orrie

20. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Just keeping the thread alive.... who else would like to meet us to caravan down to CI next Friday? Remember the group is leaving around 6amish on Friday 14th... give a minute or so... It should be fun!

21. SillyPuppy

SillyPuppy Formula 3

Aug 2, 2005
    Can't believe it's Car Week already!

I've just been informed that I have to go to Portland for business on Wednesday, returning Thursday evening. Which doesn't leave any time between then and the well-before-dawn drive to Elk Grove, Dublin, San Jose, and Monterey (is that all?! :D ).

I should still be checking in, but I figured now'd be a good time to get an idea of who's joining us where, so we don't leave anyone behind...

For us Sac guys, it'll be the Startbucks on Laguna, just off of I-5, departing for Dublin at 4:30 AM.
    1) SillyPuppy (Orrie) - F355 Spider
    2) IronDogMike (Mike) - 308
    3) Terculees (Andrei) - Elise
    4)

Dublin guys, at the Starbucks at Hacienda Crossing off I-580, departing for San Jose at 6:00 AM.
    1) Black Horse (Rob)
    2)
    3)

San Jose - *I have no idea where you folks want us to meet you*
    1)
    2)
    3)

I'm going to clear out some PM's, in case you need to reach me, feel the desire to pass along a cell number, or just want to say, "Can't wait to go!".

22. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    Orrie,I can't wait. I'm washing the car and waxing it since to work again all week. so the car will be ready to go like me.

23. verdegrrl

verdegrrl Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2008
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    April
    #23 verdegrrl, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
    We've got a small group going. We're meeting at Santana Row near Peets and leaving by 6am. Peets is open at 5am on Friday.

24. SillyPuppy

SillyPuppy Formula 3

Aug 2, 2005
    We'll never get there in time - we'll be in Dublin at 6 AM, and that's about 45 minutes away from SR. Black Horse, does this mean we don't have a San Jose stop? Greg, can we expect to see you in Dublin?

25. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I'll be part of the San Jose contingent. What time do you think you'll be passing through San Jose? Maybe 7:00? Didn't I read about a meeting place of Blossom Hill and 101? This sounds good as anyone coming from the west side (like me) will be coming down 85 and this is where 85 meets 101.

Incidentally, I'm in Portland (Hillsboro) on business now also and flying to SJC on Thursday afternoon. I assume you would be flying into OAK, so we are probably not on the same flight. :) I have 12 hours to wash, wax, clean, and tune up the car, pack all my stuff for the 24 Hours of Lemons for the weekend and hopefully sleep a few hours.

San Jose
    1) Brian Harper - 308 GT4

Can't wait to go!