Long trip survival guide - anyone got a list? | FerrariChat

Long trip survival guide - anyone got a list?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Toronto308, Jul 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Toronto308

Toronto308 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Esteban
    There have been a few discussions here regarding taking a 3x8 on a long trip but none that I could find mention what spares to bring. I'm planning to take mine on a 4000 km jaunt and wonder if any of you have put together a list of survival essentials (hoses, belts, etc.). Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I'd suggest an appointment with a chiropractor when you get to your destination.

3. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    after a three hour drive I had to get out and walk around to get the blood back in my left leg and back.

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Foam earplugs, AAA card or equivalent, credit card, cell phone. A break every 3 hours for fuel/personal refreshment and you're good to go. You might want to throw some oil in if your car burns it.

5. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I drove my 328 3000 miles in 3 days from Las Vegas to Maryland. Carried a bunch of tools in the trunk but had no need for anything except money/card for gas. I'd suggest you don't need anything at all but maybe the reason I had no trouble was that I had the tools! :)

Essentially I carried a 3/8 drive metric socket set with 6-22mm sockets, a set of screwdrivers, a roll of elec tape, a pair of vicegrips, an 8" crescent wrench some 14ga wire, some crimp connectors/crimp pliers, a multimeter, one quart of oil, and a few rags. As I said, didn't use anything at all and the car ran like a watch.

ONLY complaint I had is that since there is no cruise control, the right leg/foot can get a bit tired - we're talking 12-14 hour days in the cockpit. Other than that, it was fine.

6. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Guy I know drove a Fiat 500 around the world in 2007 and when I asked what spares he was packing he said "None; whatever you take, you can be sure it will be something else you actually need." I'm of the water, oil, credit card and phone brigade but I DO have the wire with spades to direct wire the cooling fans in my car at all times.

7. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    Last month I drove my 308 770 miles, Portland-Monterey, gas stops only. Four 4 days later reversed the trip. Lots of 80-90 deg temperature, no a/c, driver's window always open, I caught an undeserved throat cold plus an 80 in 65 citation.

My advice, don't worry about the car and don't get complacent about the speed. It's tough staying near the limit without cruise control and with SUVs constantly pushing you on the interstates. They go unnoticed but you won't. With the goal of covering ground without unnecessary speed or stops, take water bottles & drink plenty of water only, exercise your legs during gas stops only, no meal stops until you're done for the day. The car will take car of itself. Maybe pickup a can of air but otherwise if your car is well maintained and you've bonded with it, it will not let you down. Doing the trip again, I'd get a Valentine and instead of a T shirt use a light collared shirt i.e. something around my neck. My car doesn't like to lug under 3k but above that it is good for any length trip. Oh, carry 4-6 qts of oil and add 1/2 qt each 250 mile gas stop, my hwy is 25mpg.

8. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    When I go to get my 308 (thought it was going to be today, but my wife was sick) I plan on driving it about 400 miles on its maiden voyage. I figure this is a good time to bond with the car. It will have just undergone its Major and should be in tip-top shape.

PDG

9. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Tend to agree with above, car well serviced just check the levels before the off, personal needs and go! Used to do London to Le Mans each year, 3,000 km round trip, no issues apart from the French holding up signs saying Slow Down, then Accelerate Hard so that their mate 100m down the road could video you! Joyful times :)

10. 275 GTB

275 GTB Formula 3

Nov 21, 2008
    Sthrn Highlands
    Establish the rules for I Spy with My Little Eye early...to avoid arguments

11. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Es...saw your car at "Rocks" last week....love the interior. All in all, since your car is there, i would say initially you should have no issues with the long trip...but things do happen. So i recommend the following :

1) Cell phone charged
    2) CAA card
    3) 2 kinds of credit cards / some cash
    4) Camera

Some of these guys are pretty courageous with 3 hrs in one of these things, i find it horrid going in a straightline for longer than an hour...since your taking the 401, going east/west, i suggest every 2 hrs do the splash and dash...get your timmies coffee, and stretch.

And take your pics along the way, one thing i forgot on my trip.....its nice to have the long term pics of your car in different background shots across the country...makes for great memories.....especially your kids or grand kids...my only regret on a long trip i didnt do.

12. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    If the car is well sorted, and the belts are in good condition, you really shouldn't need anything. On long trips, about the only thing I take is a spare alternator/water pump belt, as finding the right sized belt in the middle of nowhere can be a problem. Usually change the oil and filter just before a long trip, check the air filter to be sure it's clean, take some basic tools, some duct tape, wire, tire pressure gauge, small multi-meter, some spare fuses, and go. Oh, and I have a portable Sirius unit that I can move from car to car. Nice to be able to find music and news in the middle of nowhere also.

Have fun! And pictures; we want pictures!!

13. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    For my last road trip in my 928, I packed a roll of coolant hose repair tape, a tire plug kit, a can of fixaflat, a small can of starter fluid, a small can of MAF cleaner, JB Weld, WD-40, half roll of electrical wire, spare fuses, 3 different spare relays, a first aid kit, and a small 300 amp Red Cross battery jump start charger. Tools are already in the car.

I've added a small can of starter fluid to my 348's tool kit for its trips now, too.

14. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    #14 Neonzapper, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
    ...also bring MICROFIBER TOWELS, SPEED SHINE or the generic equivalent, plus a couple of 5-roll packs of the widest BLUE PAINTER'S TAPE. It won't scratch the surface of the car, but great to pull over on the side of the road, and tape-off the front end before heading into a dust storm, or onto unexpected gravel area.

15. Toronto308

Toronto308 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Esteban
    LOL.. Actually I've been on several multi-hour drives and never felt worse for wear. In fact, I drove the car home from Vermont when I bought it.

16. Toronto308

Toronto308 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Esteban
    Sorry I missed you, Rick. Yup, Rocco's been giving it a lot of attention: new front rotors/refinished rears, new calipers all around, full major (belts, cam adjustment, yada yada), rebuilding the distributors and swapping out the points for electronic ignition, changing all fluids. The list goes on and on! The car was original when I bought it and the plan was to drive it for a summer (or two!) before digging in. Now it's started. I'll need to do the suspension next. Then perhaps swap the thermo reactor muffler for something lighter. Rocco says the difference will be night and day. I can't wait.

17. Toronto308

Toronto308 Formula 3

Sep 8, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Esteban
    Thanks for all the tips, guys. I'll put together a list that should get me through. I'll be sure to bring my laptop along and post some pics along the way.

18. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    ear plugs due to loud exhaust. 308 is surprisingly relable and durable (provided it is properly serviced). As for seats, dump the stock's for Sparco's and get a bead seat for it made... or just get the stock seat redone with proper foam.

19. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    ear plugs - DEFINITELY, I forgot to mention that they (actually my Bose noise cancelling headphones) were invaluable during my 12-14 hour driving days.

20. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    #20 gerritv, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
    Change the rest of the hoses :)

Gerrit

I always carry a spare coil, for some reason I had 1 in the car and needed it on the drive from Niagara on the Lake to Niagara Falls. Car went to 4 cylinders going up the steep hill to the Brock Monument lookout!

And I second the ear plugs.
    Bring wrenches (only a few sizes needed, e.g. 8, 10, 13, 17) and socket set, screw drivers, good flashlight, pliers.

21. Glen_Lloyd

Glen_Lloyd Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 13, 2003
    Lloydminster AB
    Full Name:
    Glen

In 2005 I drove across Canada, 20,000Km in a month and above was it for accessories. Also recommend some lumbar pillows for back.

22. Tokyo Drftr

Tokyo Drftr Formula 3

Jan 18, 2009
    UA-USA-JP
    Full Name:
    Ро&#1081
    I drive my cars daily and on long trips. To the airport i rent. But these cars do not require many tools. I carry the tools required to do a timing belt and fluid changes. That will pretty much cover all the tools you need. Besides the spare relays, fuses, electrical parts etc.

23. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "I carry the tools required to do a timing belt and fluid changes. "

Well, I have to admit that I can't see any reason to carry that sort of stuff. If a timing belt breaks, the subsequent engine damage means that replacing the belt won't "fix" the engine so you can't repair it on the side of the road. But heck, as this thread clearly indicates, it's all about what makes each individual owner feel comfortable. ;)

24. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    With a known, well-maintained car, you should need "nothing"...

I've done both a 2000km trip in a Boxer...and a 5000km trip in a 328. Other than being a bit sore and deaf, no issues with either car.

David

25. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    #25 Tony K, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
    That about sums it up. I agree with Tillman's list exactly.

The best mechanical emergency kit for a 3X8 is a thorough check before you leave. These cars don't really fall apart like an old British car, and there isn't much that can break that you can really fix on the side of the road; it will either be too hard to reach by the side of the road (e.g. belts, hoses), expensive (e.g. Digiplex), or not readily available at a local auto parts store (e.g. spark plug extenders). Really, knowing the condition of your car and making sure it is tip-top and tidy are all you need. The only 308 breakdowns I have heard of from friends who own them have been things like an old hose and fuse block/fuel pump fuse/wire issues -- things that could have easily been prevented.