Terrible ticket sales for Valencia GP next month *** SPOILERS | FerrariChat

Terrible ticket sales for Valencia GP next month *** SPOILERS

Discussion in 'F1' started by jknight, Jul 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    not a very healthy sign for sure . . . sounding like another Turkey in the making..

Carol

from f1 live:

Less than 30 percent of the tickets for the forthcoming European Grand Prix have been sold, organisers of the Valencia street race have admitted.

The inaugural event in the Spanish port city, with an attendance capacity of 112,000, was nearly sold out last year.

But with only one month to go until the 2009 edition, chief organiser Carlos Garcia revealed that ticket sales this time are not going well.

"It is not the best situation. We are content with the rhythm of sales and hope to reach 80 or 90 percent, although at the moment we have about 30,000 sold," he said.

"We must not forget that many tickets are sold abroad and many bookings are made by internet at the last moment," Garcia added.

2. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Well, that's better than the paltry 100K or so that turned out annually for Montreal and Indy.

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Cool!

If I don't like my seats (like last time in Canada) I'll just buy a new one.

Glad I get to see the race before they axe it.

I'm not surprised however: They added this race for the Spanish fans. Well with the lousy Renault this year, there is not much they can cheer for.

4. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    The sales will be much better once Alonso goes to Ferrari in '10...:)

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Sure thing.

Glad I get to see it with fewer people.

6. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Well, who would want to see F1 cars parading around a container yard?

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #7 tifosi12, Jul 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
    Raising my hand.

That "container yard" is one of the most beautiful road tracks ever designed as it used to be host of the Admiral's cup, the world's most prestigious yacht race. As for the parading, well you can have that on almost any track these days.

How many F1 races have you seen live? The experience for the on site audience is very different than that for the TV viewers. Amenities, logistics, a neat town in the back is a lot more important than what's going on on the track because you normally get to see only a fraction of it anyway. Point in case: Monza allows for passing, yet having been there was one of my most boring experiences. As a Ferrari fan nonetheless.

Fact is that (sadly) most F1 fans are chauvinists. The 2nd Spanish race was added after Barcelona sold out due to Alonso's success. This year he won't win anything and therefore the Spaniards are not going to Valencia anymore. Simple as that.

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Today's Hungary Pole might change all that and ticket sales might pick up.

9. Modena360-66

Modena360-66 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    Perpignan, France
    Full Name:
    Nathan

That,

and spain being one of the countries being most affected by the economic crisis might have something to do with it.

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1. If alonso gets a good result tomorrow I'm sure the ticket sales will double.

Spanish people are very patriotic. If no Spaniard is doing any good in F1 the tickets won't sell, the races won't be viewed and so on.
    Right now i'm watching GP2 and the only reason its popular here is because their teams are pretty succesful.

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I hate that attitude. The Spanish are no exception. The Germans were the same with MS and the Brits with Hami.

To me it should be about supporting your fav driver, irrespective of the country he is from. Yes I'm proud of "my" country's driver(s), but that should come long after anything else. Point in case I much rather cheer for Alonso or Kimi than for Buemi.

12. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Forgetting about the setting, Valencia has got to be one of the worst tracks on the calendar. Major snoozefest.

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Again there is a huge difference whether you experience it on site or on TV. And this thread is about the ticket sales, therefore the folks on site. And to them the track layout is a lot less important than the setting it is in.

14. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    are you staying in Valencia near the port perhaps??? thinking of maybe going to the America's Cup in February 2010 and Alinghi picks city and it's possible that they could go with Valencia again since so much is already invested in the port facilities....

thanks for any info
    Carol

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually staying in the old town in a "niche" hotel. I'll report back how good/bad it was. Should be decent though. I can probably walk to the track.

16. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    thanks - much appreciated - would be looking to walk to the port (no rental car - potential parking issues)

Carol

17. AlfettaGTV

AlfettaGTV Karting

Nov 6, 2007
    A Coruna, Spain
    Full Name:
    Alvaro Seco
    Hi!

Two facts explain the poor sales in Spain.

1.- The economical crisis, so the people is a bit resilient to spend money on highly priced tickets (compared with averaged salary here in Spain).
    2.- The poor results Alonso is getting, so lots of newcomers to F1 are loosing interest...

Regards, Alvaro.

18. 355

355 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 4, 2005
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Why do you think Alonso is doing so good this weekend. Has the poll and will probably be on the podium. Its the show boys....get used to it.

19. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    IMO folk like/dislike drivers for numerous reasons, so it's a bit more complex.

My own case example, I would go to a see a F1 race without Brits driving not a problem.

I was a fan of Mika H over any Brit, but I didn't drive a Ferrari then, but now this has a bearing on it for me.

I have always liked Mclaren cars looks wise I suppose not always the drivers, same as with Ferrari. Loved what Ross B has done this year.

I love Ferrari cars, really like LH as a driver, really admire FA, supported him in Spain 1st time round with Renault, whilst wearing a JB BAR shirt! both exciting to watch, really rate Vettel, really like to see a past underdog to do well = Button.

I don't have an outright favorite driver, and I don't really dislike any driver, for me it's an amalgam of things, just can't get my head round anyone that has a totally biased blinkered support of any driver beyond reason, and vise visa with dislike.

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not buying it. He is on fumes and it is doubtful he'll make it to the podium.

21. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Good post Steve and I feel exactly the same. I don't mind what reason anyone has for being a fan of a particular driver or team, it's all legitimate. You might support a driver because he once gave you an autograph or you might support him because he is from your own country, both perfectly legitimate reasons - as long as in the latter case you are not motivated by rampant nationalism and a hate for anything outside your own country. The important thing is to keep your support for your driver/team in perspective, I just cannot understand how anyone can 'hate' any driver or team.

22. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  23. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Conspiracy theory, anyone? Funny how there was confusion over timing and scoring...;)

24. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    I don't think attendance is going to be very good now that Renault is banned from the next race.

25. Modena360-66

Modena360-66 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    Perpignan, France
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    It's going to be a big good refunding wave..good job FIA.