Anyone know what happened to this '95 456GT | FerrariChat

Anyone know what happened to this '95 456GT

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Peloton25, Jul 26, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #1 Peloton25, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330346487296

Looks to be a beautiful car in most respects, but there seem to be a lot of problems lurking under the surface. I can spot about 10 things just in his photos, so that's not a good sign. Seller lists the title as "salvage". :(

VIN is 100970 - I tried searching here for that and came up empty. AutoCheck says the title has been that way since 2004.

By it now price is $29,500.

Was mainly curious if anyone here knows the history?

Thanks!

>8^)
    ER
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    I have no idea what happened to this car. However, I saw it on ebay and repeated the manta, the cheapest Ferrari you buy becomes the most expensive one you buy. It does look like a nice combination for paint and interior.

3. skl63

skl63 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Wow, you can see 10 things in the photo? I am pretty new to these cars, but all I can see is a badly fitting RHS headlight and maybe shrunk leather on the instrument binnacle. Pretty colour, same as the car we just bought I think (Sebring?)

4. deanhalter

deanhalter Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2008
    Norco, CA
    Full Name:
    Dean Halter
    Just for fun:

1. Door handles don't match body color
    2. Passenger side front marker light missing
    3. Passenger side mirror does not match driver's side
    4. Dash leather cracked
    5. Passenger side tail pipes are bent/took a hit
    6. Passenger side tail light is cracked
    7. Hood is mis-aligned
    8. Rear fashia has been tapped, the gap is waaaaay excessive...
    9. Headliner pulled away from the interior roof on the driver's side at the rear window
    10. Driver window not sorted to the point that the moulding is now torn at the rear near the quarter window at the top
    11. Airbag cover is very distorted
    12. 456GT emblem has been removed for the airbag cover recently
    13. Ashtray cover doesn't close
    14. Radio not installed correctly, should not fall halfway into the hole in the tunnel...
    15. One of the wheels is bent up pretty good
    16. Tires are mismatched and one is fairly well dry rotted
    17. Trunk weatherstrip missing a sizeable chunk along the bottom near the latch mechanism
    18. Carpet section at the front of the trunk not replaced correctly, showing the fibreglass gas tank cover. What else is lurking behind there?
    19. Trunk carpet stained
    20. Trunk hinge plates do not match body color - indicating replacement
    21. The disk changer is likely missing along with its mounting bracketry, the rug and leather cover has nothing to bolt to and is sort of stuffed into position and is laying at an odd angle
    22. The leather covering has been ripped down from the roof of the trunk on the passenger side.
    23. The carpet shown on the passenger side in the trunk is improper, what is it covering?
    24. The cover for the passenger side tail-lights on the interior of the trunk is missing
    25. Plastic cover for the trunk latch mechanism missing
    26. No tool box?

Every car has a price; the best deal might be for the person who has a lift with a lot of room to store the parts after stripping this car...

5. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    If you're interested in parting the car out, it's a $20k car. If you're interested in buying it, 'restoring' it, and not being in the "red", it's a $17k car before you invest in all the work that needs to be done. After the work is complete, you'll have a market-value car ($35k-$39k). The salvage title will always be a negative stigma, and easily kills the value for any number starting with a 4.

Seriously, if you're open to investing $12-$20k and using this car/holding onto it (and driving it) for a few years, could be a good buy. Investment/recouping your money? Run like hell. I can easily see $12k to get this car going again and generally cosmetically good, $20k to get it to where it should be.

From what I can gather, it appears to have a Tubi on it. Sometimes these project cars can be fun, but only if you're ok with spending the money to make it right, the 'wait' for factor (isn't going to be good for a short bit at a minimum), and get a killer deal on this car (then buy the parts needed) could be fun. Some people shy away from this, others have fun with it.

6. laudaman

laudaman Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Beautiful color combination.

Chris

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #7 Rifledriver, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
    I might have something for you but need access to my files at work. PM me Monday and remind me.

I can assure you of this though, a salvage title and a BIN of under 30K, that car has major issues they are not talking about.

8. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I guess I should have included a comment in my initial post that I'm not considering the purchase here - I know better than that. ;)

There was quite a discussion going on another forum about this car - four pages last I checked - all that is wrong with it and what might have occurred to cause those things. That's what prompted this thread.

F-Chatters regularly have the scoop on all things Ferrari and I suspected that someone here would perhaps know the real story about this car. In fact I was surprised to find zero discussions about this one, at least based on the serial number when I searched. No one needs to go out of their way on this unless I've sparked your own curiosity.

>8^)
    ER

9. skl63

skl63 Karting

Dec 13, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Stupid me!!!

10. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    OP Has a rather great eye to notice 10 things in that pic.

Good news is the kevlar-CF hood is worth $28,000 basic part: would recoup your other costs on all that remains....even if you don't want to drive it or fix the more expensive things...

it's a bargain for parts car, bargain I tell you..

gold, gollllllddddd

11. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Scary interior. Was it a submarine at some point?

12. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I don't think the interior, other than the headliner, looks that bad.

It was for sale in 2001 by Symbolic for $129k, and it was black at that time (16k miles) and still had it's books and tools.

13. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Not that good - I was referring to things I spotted in all the photos found in the Ebay ad. The single photo I shared here was the best of the bunch. Then skl63 came along and blew my estimate out of the water - he's the one with the good eyes. :)

This thing must have been through a pretty severe incident to need a complete repaint. Thanks for that!

>8^)
    ER

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    A good one brings 50 - $55K these days.........Foh had a beautiful red/blk on consignment and got no offers.

Sad but true.....