Alonzo vs. Michael Schumacher | FerrariChat

Alonzo vs. Michael Schumacher

Discussion in 'F1' started by BigWilly, Jul 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigWilly

BigWilly Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2009
    As of this morning it seems as the battle for Massas seat is going to be Alonzo vs. Schumacher. This is, in the biggest of sports pictures, a truly Epic battle. Old Vet vs young Lion! Old vet a bit rusty, young lion a bit more seasoned...Who would you put in the car and why?
    Keep in mind there is no testing. Which brings this question, Say you had buckets of cash like Michael, wouldn't you be able to buy an older F1 car and rent a track to test?

2. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    It's Alonso, not Alonzo :D

3. zoRob

zoRob Formula 3

Oct 31, 2006
    Cambs, UK
    Personally, i dont think you will see either of those drivers in a Ferrari this season. It would be cool though.

4. Jelly Spanners

Jelly Spanners Karting

Jul 19, 2009
    South West UK
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Michael is currently employed by Ferrari and is currently their test driver responsible for developing road cars and as a consultant to F1, I think he still gets alot of track time so may not be as rusty as we think, There would also be no contract problems with MS but there could be with Alonzo etc....

5. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Michael Schumacher’s official spokeswoman has said the seven-time world champion would consider stepping into the injured Felipe Massa’s race seat at Ferrari if called upon by the Maranello team.

Massa suffered a fractured skull in an accident in Hungary last Saturday and doctors do not expect him to race again this season, although that judgment remains provisional until the extent of Massa’s injuries are clearer.

In any event Massa will not be fit to compete in the next grand prix in Valencia on August 23, and Ferrari is therefore expected to appoint a substitute to drive alongside Kimi Raikkonen.

Schumacher’s spokeswoman Sabine Kehm told BBC Sport that the 40-year-old German would consider any approach from Ferrari, but emphasised that it would be up to the team to make the first move.

“The whole thing will be considered by Ferrari,” Kehm said.

“If they approach Michael, then he will consider it.

“But there is no reason for him to step into their discussion.”

Ferrari’s chairman Luca di Montezemolo said on Monday that the Scuderia was in no hurry to choose a replacement for Massa and that the long break before Valencia gave it plenty of time to reach the right decision.

Schumacher retired from Formula 1 at the end of 2006 but has tested Ferrari’s grand prix cars several times since, and is still contracted to the team in a consultancy role.

In recent interviews he appeared to rule out a return to the sport’s front line, but his spokeswoman said a temporary return in the current circumstances was conceivable.

“Usually, I would say he's not interested because he’s fine with his life and he doesn’t miss anything but now the situation is so different,” she said.

Kehm added that the scenario remained “very hypothetical” and Schumacher “doesn’t want to step into that [discussion]”.

Schumacher was one of the fittest drivers in F1 history and still trains regularly, but suffered a minor neck injury after crashing while testing a Honda superbike in February.

“I really can't tell you if his neck would be fine to drive an F1 race,” said Kehm.

“If Ferrari asked him whether he would consider driving, he would have it checked – and remember he is a 40-year-old man, too.”

Ferrari’s other options for a substitute driver appear limited.

Spaniard Marc Gene, 35, and 38-year-old Italian Luca Badoer are the team’s long-serving test drivers, but neither has recent F1 race experience.

Gene filled in for injured Williams driver Ralf Schumacher in three races in 2003 and 2004, but Badoer has not competed in a grand prix since 1999, when he raced for Minardi.

Fernando Alonso is widely expected to join Ferrari in 2010 and there has been conjecture that the Spaniard might even take over Massa’s seat in Valencia later this month since his own team, Renault, has been excluded from his home event for failing to secure a wheel on his car at a pit stop during the Hungarian GP.

Renault is appealing its Valencia suspension, however, and would be unlikely to want to relinquish its prize driver to one of its main rivals in the middle of the season.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=46505

6. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    "Epic battle"? Hardly. Alonso's only available for one race (Valencia), and that would depend upon (1) Renault losing their appeal to the FIA and (2) (even more unlikely) Briatore's willingness to release him to potentially score mfrs. points for a rival team. I just don't see that happening. Gene or Badoer remain the most likely by far. Gene is Spanish, so I would pick him for Valencia, at least.

7. jav

jav Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    John
    and so the seed is planted. With nothing but best wishes for a full and speedy recovery for Massa, I think this arrangement could be very beneficial to all parties.

8. BigWilly

BigWilly Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2009
    #8 BigWilly, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
    Flavio has been at this game for a long time. He understands the politics involved. He is looking years beyond scoring points in one race of a losing season. His saying yes to both Alonzo and Ferrari will benefit him many many times over...what would the potential points do for him? Win a title? Would the points cover the damage of a broken relationship with Ferrari or Alonzo? Think BIGGER!

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Briatore isn't Alonso's manager, so I can't see how he will benefit from it?

10. BigWilly

BigWilly Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2009
    It's always who you know, not what you know. Flav has groomed many great drivers. Having one on his side does not hurt ...Having Ferrari on his side when Renault is looking to pull out of F1 will also go along way.

11. Jelly Spanners

Jelly Spanners Karting

Jul 19, 2009
    South West UK
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Anld Flav loves to stirr up Max M...Which he will do If Allonso drives in Spain, I can see something there...?

12. BigWilly

BigWilly Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2009
    If Ferrari can keep the pace they've enjoyed over the the last few weeks, put Alonzo in the car...in Spain, and the home town hero now has the tools he needs to take it to the Mclarens...( because we all know there is still bad blood there...). It's a PR dream for Ferrari...with the words "Get well MASSA" across the rear wing! Alonzo says some nice words to the home crowd and releases the future deal with the team...Makes me want to buy a red t-shirt and speak Spanish...

13. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    I have plenty of red T shirts for you, and a crash course in F1 Spanish will take less than fifteen minutes.

Start by learning these few sentences:

"Fernando Alonso es el mejor piloto de la Formula 1!"

"Con Fernando Alonso, Ferrari no estaría en la mala situación actual!"

"Fernando y Ferrari formarían una pareja invencible!"

"Que le den morcilla al Hamilton y a su papi."

That should be more than sufficient for the moment. ;)

Cheers,

Julio

14. Formula1Fan

Formula1Fan Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2006
    Hot Springs Village
    Full Name:
    Jerry Schutz
    The only way I can see Alonso driving a race for Ferrari in Valencia is if a deal has already been cut for next season between he and Ferrari. That then sets up an interesting situation, whereby he would be going head to head with the man he is supposed to replace, or would it be an open question who he would be replacing?

15. BigWilly

BigWilly Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2009
    You may be right. I think he is without question one of the most well rounded drivers and can develope teams unlike the younger new gen. of drivers where the team developes them. Que haría que Fernando Alonso el mejor conductor de F1!

16. Modena360-66

Modena360-66 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    Perpignan, France
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    "Con Fernando Alonso, Ferrari no estaría en la mala situación actual!"

some people are so funny !! :D

17. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #17 Crawler, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2009
    Please elaborate.

The possible "broken relationship" depends entirely on how much Alonso's participation this one race (Valencia) means to him and Ferrari. You have no way of knowing that. You're making a big assumption.

Constructors' points = $$$$$.

I never meant to say that it's impossible, I just think it highly unlikely that we'll see Fernando in a red car next month. Next year is another matter. ;)

18. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    The decision has more to do with 010 than anything else.
    If Alonso is coming to the team then and if Renault is banned for the next race and if Renault is considering leaving F1 and if Flav's grudge is not too big then we might see him in Valencia.
    Lots of ifs.
    While everyone would love to see Schumi back that would waste an opportunity for the Scuderia to get a jump on 010 since there is no way he'd be driving then.
    Then there's Kimi to consider. If he is out in 010 it won't matter who sits in for Massa. If he is returning the question is what driver would motivate him most. Last weekend we saw what he can do when properly motivated.
    At least we've got something to occupy us over the four week rest.
    Forza Massa.

19. BigWilly

BigWilly Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2009

HUGE assumptions! We're talking F1, you don't make big gains with small assumtions! Unless everyone in the race crashes or breaks, a 1-2 finish is not going to make that much more money for Flavs team this year. Given the opportunity, why would they not start developing the relationship this year for all parties involved?
    Does anyone at Ferrari seem like they are on the right track? Let's be honest...Ferrari do a great job of keeping issues in house and under cover. They are making big changes to management, moving allot of people around, Former Ferrari great, Jean Todt is making a run for Maxs seat...There are many positives if Flav goes with this vs. just turning his back to all parties. He is a successful business man because he values and understands relationships.

Is Ferrari looking to get back on track and win championships?...Or are they looking to build a winning team again...They are looking to WIN...GET the best people available.
    IMO, Flav is one of the best businessmen in the sport. Maybe Ferrari needs him on board during rough economic times?
    IMO,The one thing that could throw a wrench in the works is if they overturn the Renault suspension...then Alonzo is a non issue.

20. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Heyl, Willy, you could be right. We'll find out soon enough...

21. Jelly Spanners

Jelly Spanners Karting

Jul 19, 2009
    South West UK
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    If Renault are finishing in F1 next year, whats to say Flav isnt going to do a Brawn and ask for Ferrari Engines for his cars if he starts a team?....Whats the situation with engine suppliers next year, cant remember...??

22. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    It's a moot debate in my view.

Ferrari will never allow a driver, who is under contract with a competing team, to drive their car for 1 race.

Alonso would have the ability to go back to Renault for the rest of the season with all he's learnt about the Ferrari.

No way.

23. BigWilly

BigWilly Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2009
    It's a very valid point, but why would Alonzo give his future competitors an advantage. Let face it, nothing is going to happen in the last half of the year that is going to do anything but give Renault one or two good weekends. Something major would need to stimulate the economy if Renault is going to continue in the sport. Flav will be striking a hard deal in the coming months for a new engine supplier. So It would be un-likly Alonzo could share anything of use with the team. And on a bigger note, keep in mind Ferrari was behind Renault earlier this year...Is there something Alonzo could show Ferrari? I would say he could share more with a team in transition then a back up driver could.

24. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    There's a very small possibilty of MS stepping in. However, with 2 reserve drivers, with contracts, i doubt that will happen. ALonso too has a contract. A contract i'm sure that forbids him to have a one off with another team mid season ;)

25. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    I would love to see Michael step in!