Just a few Audi R8 Supercars | FerrariChat

Just a few Audi R8 Supercars

Discussion in 'New England' started by AbsolutFerrari, Aug 2, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AbsolutFerrari

AbsolutFerrari Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2009
    Rocky Hill
    Full Name:
    Rick S
    #1 AbsolutFerrari, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. AbsolutFerrari

Jul 23, 2009
    Rocky Hill
    Full Name:
    Rick S
  3. azonic225

azonic225 Karting

Mar 5, 2008
    MA
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    WOW now that is a lot of R8s

4. AbsolutFerrari

Jul 23, 2009
    Rocky Hill
    Full Name:
    Rick S
    You can say that again. I counted over 30 and I couldn't see around the back.

5. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    that's because they are limited edition. ;)

6. cove26

cove26 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Who says there is a waiting list

7. vunico

vunico Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2007
    southern florida
    it might have been unwise to upgrade the powerplant so early in the cars lifespan...
    who want's yesterdays papers ???

8. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Bottom line, it's still just an expensive Audi...there's a million similar Audi's at every stop light and kids soccer game. Are they fast? Heck yeah. Build quality? Good I'm sure. Would I pay $125k for one? no way. Sorry, mass production dilutes the brand, just look at Porsche and BMW.

9. fingolfin

fingolfin Formula 3

Apr 23, 2007
    I like cars for how they make me feel. Their driving dynamics, fun quotient, and the beauty I see in them is what matters... not what others think about the brand of my car.

10. refugees

refugees Rookie

Sep 28, 2006
    Are those V10?

11. Mickfluff

Mickfluff Karting
    BANNED

Mar 21, 2009
    I never once mistook an A4 for an R8 so not sure what you mean about audi's being at every stop light..... like saying Nissans are at ever light so the GTR is on every street corner? So would you rather own a limited production hand built POS then a quality built supercar that may look better, performs better and be more reliable that was produced in higher numbers with the main concern being "brand perception" ? Some own to drive and others own for show. That is OK, what makes the world go round....

Porsche owner here.....

12. Liquid1

Liquid1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2006
    Metrowest, MA
    That's a really intellectually lazy way to look at things.

13. Giovanni_P

Giovanni_P Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    MetroWest, MA
    Full Name:
    John Pelliccio
    Funny story- I was involved in a Ferrari press drive a couple of summers ago. We drove from Maranello to Le Castellet in a pair of 612s and a 599. Somewhere on the Cote d'Azur, our caravan drove by an R8 heading in the opposite direction. It was the first one I'd seen "in the wild", and I have to say it was pretty arresting- it isn't a flat-plane V8, but it sounds pretty darned good, and the LED "eyebrows" (now a bit overdone with the A6 and A4) make it very visually arresting the first time you see it as well. The sound and the visual made 3 jaded automotive journalists driving a million bucks' worth of Italian hardware do almost comical doubletakes.

So sure it's "just an Audi", but it's still a stunner. I wouldn't throw it out of the garage.

Gio P

14. Patentman

Patentman Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2004
    Boston/Delray Beach
    Full Name:
    Barry W. Chapin
    Why do they sit for months?

15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Dealers dont have space to stock them ?

16. 360Doctor

360Doctor Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2007
    United States
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It's not uncommon for cars to sit like that for months at a time at all. I'm more surprised that there are that many R8's that just sit there.

17. Dipsomaniac

Dipsomaniac F1 Veteran

Mar 23, 2006
    Doha/Sydney
    Full Name:
    Derek K
    An amazing sight .. and surprised you can get that close to them. I bet the new buyers don't realise that their prized possession has been sitting outside for months prior to them getting their hands on it.

18. Steveny360

Steveny360 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    anyone who hopes someone will pay extra.

19. JoeyM

JoeyM Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    RI
    Full Name:
    Joey M
    my friends and i used to work at quonset point, preparing the new cars for delivery to the dealers. a good paying job when i was in HS. also a lot of fun, driving brand new cars around. we were working on mainly saab's and vw's, but would often get random deliveries of other makes.

16 yrs old and given the keys to brand new $45k (big money back then!) saab aeros or brand new vr6 corrados. let me tell you, if anybody is afraid to bring your brand new car to redline, don't worry, it's already been done for you.

the gas tanks were often near empty, and would sometimes stall. so we had the excuse we needed to rev the crap out of them to keep them running. those first few delivery miles were probably the harshest miles the cars ever saw. 90 degrees out, AC cranked, redline clutch drops...yeah, we were dumb kids making $1.50 per car.

after i had that job, i never worried about new car break in.

20. AbsolutFerrari

Jul 23, 2009
    Rocky Hill
    Full Name:
    Rick S
  21. darthnefas

darthnefas Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2007
    Taunton MA
    Full Name:
    Allen...
    I understand when people say they don't like the R8. Comparing a book by it's cover the R8 definitely doesn't look up to par, but compared to it's nephew the Gallardo it starts to stand out.

The R8 will MSRP for $118,000
    The Gallardo (not the 560 either) will MSRP for $186,000

Allot of the options in the Gallardo are standard in the R8.

Even with 100 less horsepower and a 500 lb disadvantage the R8 typically comes in very close to the Gallardo.

With that in mind, the R8 seems like a bargain and a reliable care that brings uniqueness.

That being said, the Audi nameplate really hasn't gained the notoriety of its peers and for that it has some hurtles to overcome. Regardless, Audi did a good job with the car.

22. Ray G

Ray G Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    Newport, RI
    I'll take a used Gallardo for the same amount of $$ or even less. I noticed a huge performance difference between driving the two. Some people don't like the looks of the G though so to each his own.

23. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    True, but I suspect a lot of the R8s will be leased, and under factory warranty, which can be a factor. Even a 575 is cheaper and a lot more car, BUT there's a lot more downside if anything breaks off-warranty.

24. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #24 noone1, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
    You do realize that more Ferraris are produced each year than R8's, right? Audi makes 5000 a year, Ferrari made 6600 in 2008. That's 33% more! And that's why you'll never find me in a Ferrari. Too common.

Well, actually it's because they're overpriced, but dime a dozen don't help either.

25. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Ferrari does make more than one model.