any one know this 246GT? | FerrariChat

any one know this 246GT?

Discussion in '206/246' started by 246tasman, Aug 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    It looks like a US-spec car that has had the side marker lights removed. The S/N looks like 03084, so I checked the Dino registry, but there's almost no info there. It looks like a fairly nice car. Are prices tanking that much?

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Looks nice.

3. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Not having owned such a ferrari, excuse my ignorance, but is that an ill-fitted left bumper or an optical illusion?

4. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    If you are referring to the rear left bumper, it is in need of adjustment. They all tend to look like that until someone spends a few moments to "tweak" it.

Jim S.

5. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Dino bumpers are not designed to withstand much of a bump.

6. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    Hi Dan,
    'agree on the US-spec. It's interesting that someone spent considerable bucks swapping for the Euro-style flush turn signal/parking lights on the nose & removing the side marker lights, yet left the reflectors on the rear panel.

Now, the Dino Register lists 03084 as UK-spec (RHD). Could the eBay offering be 03064? That's a US-spec car, built in December of '71. Inquiring minds want to know! :)

My friend was just offered 90K Euro for his driver-quality Tipo M. He sent me pics of a white driver-quality Tipo L in Italy for 130K Euro. He says that prices seem to be stronger in Europe than in the USofA.

Cheers,
    Coop

7. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    #8 Crawler, Aug 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2009
    You're right Coop.

Must be 03064 then. It's hard to read that number from the photo, and I missed the note that 03084 is a RHD UK car. This has to be a US-spec car as (I believe) only they have the big door jamb ID plate and that round thingie on the cam cover.

8. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    Dan,
    That fourth digit is tough to see clearly. I think 03064 is the likely suspect, though. It just seems to make sense. Woah...that's an oxymoron! Nothing makes 'sense' with our marvelous macchinas!

Yup, on both counts: The door jamb ID plate & the round thingie ("Idle speed unit"). The US-only "distributor microswitch" is also visible next to the thingie. There are a lot of subtle, and not-so-subtle, differences. We can't see them in the pics, but I think we've established that this is likely a USA car.

'later,
    Coop

9. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    This car has been on and off e-Bay several times. My recollection of looking at and enlarging the photos a few months ago was that it's an average-condition car, with everything seemingly intact. It might be a good deal for the right buyer. Fred

10. Ferranki

Ferranki Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I believe you are correct Fred. This was another thread related to that car.......
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234201&highlight=03064

11. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i show 03064 delivered by LeMans Motors on 9/28/72 in the colors os rooso bordeaux/black just as ferranki says.

it appears that the car was bought with the buy it now price feature....

12. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

03064 is my Dino
    definitely not this one