whining pump sound? | FerrariChat

whining pump sound?

Discussion in '360/430' started by PSTexas, Aug 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSTexas

PSTexas Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Southlake TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    what is the sound I hear constantly when idiling, or driving really slow? - car is an 08 Scud sounds like a pump of some kind?

2. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    Is it the same sound you hear when you open the door?
    It sounds like your F1 pump.

3. Maximus

Maximus Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2009
    Assen, NL
    Full Name:
    Jurgen
    With a healthy car it could only be the F1 pump :)

4. PSTexas

PSTexas Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Southlake TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    yea, same sound as when opening the door. My M5 also has this sound when initially opening the door, but I never hear it after that - in this car, I hear it quite a bit at idle, and low speeds.

5. MikeA

MikeA Karting

Nov 23, 2004
    Los Gatos
    Not sure if this is relevant, but on my 2003 Maserati with F1, my hydraulic pump burned out at 30k miles.
    Many posters on that user group pointed to a particular relay that would get stuck on, and the pump would
    burn up from being constantly on, and not just charging when needed. It was never clear if the relay or
    the pump was the primary problem or the symptom.
    My Maser made the same whining sound as my 2008 F430 does when you opened the door, but I never
    noticed if it was on all the time.
    Anyway, you might want to get your F1 pump/relay/... checked. I haven't seen any evidence of a typical
    wearout mileage on the F430 pump (many Maser folks seemed to experience this failure around 30k miles),
    but it is worth checking.

6. Maximus

Maximus Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2009
    Assen, NL
    Full Name:
    Jurgen
    My guess is that it has something to do with the speed you are driving. Perhaps at higher speed there is enough pressure to maintain the optimal pressure for the system. When slowly cruising through town there isn't enough pressure so the pump artificially boosts the pressure. My guess is the system needs airflow in order to keep the pressure at a desired number.

The user manual doesn't state anything regarding the pump while driving the car. It only states that when the doors are unlocked the pump is starting to make shifting possible.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Pump operation is not speed related in any way.

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If it is running all the time that is wrong. It should be silent most of the time while the car is under way. It should only run occasionally to replenish pressure stored in the accumulator. In periods of many gear shifts it may run 20 or 25% of the time.

Try this, get in the car and listen for the pump to go on and off. If it does not go off you have a problem. Stop right now and get it fixed. If it does cycle off, turn the key to the on position but do not start the motor. Just sit there and wait for it to come back on. That will give you and idea how often it runs while just driving down the road. Now, again with the motor off, up shift and down shift at a pace like you would driving around town. That will give you and idea how ofet it will run when driving around town. If it does not cycle on and off in a pattern matching usage get it looked at.

9. Forrest

Forrest Rookie

Jul 1, 2005
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Forrest
    Rifle Driver is very well informed and gives terrific technical advice. He responded to a question about I had about what items to look out for on a 360. His answer involved extensive details with each year’s strengths & weaknesses. The end result was my purchase of a perfect 360 from Ron Tonkin Ferrari in Portland. In addition to Rifle Driver, I would recommend Tonkin's manager, Art Smith to any shopper that wants a great Ferrari & excellent purchase experience.

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Oh no, don't say that. Some gentleman just today said all I ever do is tell people to take their car to the dealer and I am no help at all..

11. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan