Mondial owners: Do you receive rude comments in reference to your vehicles' styling? | FerrariChat

Mondial owners: Do you receive rude comments in reference to your vehicles' styling?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by GENERAL LEE, Aug 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GENERAL LEE

GENERAL LEE Karting

Nov 27, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Please know that I appreciate the styling & ideas that created the Mondial.

I do however see many talk down on the overall look of the car, which are obviously people that do not own a Ferrari themselves....no matter the year/model.

While I must admit, it's not my FAVORITE style, but I do appreciate it's design cues that were so well placed throughout it's body. There is no doubt in the minds of anyone that do not qualify as a complete moron, as to what a Ferrari Mondial looks like.

Thanks for the pictures!

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I have an odd way of answering your question.

Style and design go in and out of fashion. Yesterday's "old" becomes today's "classic". Today's "classic" becomes tomorrow's "dated".

I can tell you that in the early 80's when I had my 246 Dino gt and everyone wanted one of these 308 "Tom Seleck" machines, the Dino was considered dated looking. Today, people call it one of Ferrari's best.

The car has not changed. Our tastes have changed. They'll change again -- and again.

3. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That says it all. I'll FULLY admit that when I was starting to search for Ferrari stuff prior to buying my 328 GTS that I
    just didn't care for the Mondial.... until I actually SAW one.

May very well be my second Ferrari to park alongside Sofia. The prices are very good - and it's essentially the same
    car, just different.

Long way to say "What Bdelp said"

Jedi

4. GENERAL LEE

GENERAL LEE Karting

Nov 27, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the comments guys.

I would love to slide a 328 into my garage before the Mondial, purely because the 328 is essentially a flawless "look", even after all of these years.

Probably the most disgusting part of my initial obsession to Ferrari's, was my first ride in a real one....... which happened to be a 288 GTO. I was too young to understand the shear magnitude of this cars demand, but I'll never forget the ride. This was basically an incredibly "roided out" 308/328/etc in my eyes, as far as exterior styling.

They're all so damn fantastic though. There's just always something about them that keep us all coming back.

5. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    I never cared for the looks of 308 Gt/4's are Mondial's. Much preferred the GTs variant. I now own both of the former. They look great!

6. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #6 Jedi, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    General Lee - NOW is the time to look at Ferraris - ANY Ferrari. You can now buy a 328 GTS for about the price of a Mondial
    about 2 years ago. They're BOTH great cars....

Just promise you won't buy THIS car: :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yeah, I'll be honest and admit I just don't see the GT/4 the same way. I've seen them in
    person and the Bertone styling just doesn't make sense to me. But then again... most folks
    thought the Dinos were not all that attractive - NOW try to find a Dino for under $100,000

Jedi

8. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    The mondial was a complete eye sore for me about 5 years ago when I first got on this board. And now I think it's a great looking machine. It used to come across to me as boxy, and now it appears sleek. The 400i for me is the new eye sore, but lately it too has started to look better in my eyes. Eventually I might even like it. I still wouldn't take a mondial over a 3x8, but I do think it is a great looking car these days.

I know my opinion means nothing, but there ya go.

9. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    Funny, but I don't like the Mondial, but I love the Mondial Cab. (I didn't complain though when Manny let me drive his.)

10. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Ive always liked the looks of the Mondial...especially the hardtop.

11. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    When I owned my Mondial Cab, I think I got more positive comments on the looks than I've gotten on any other Ferrari.

12. Javelin276

Javelin276 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Thor Zollinger
    My Mondial is just about the ONLY Ferrari people have seen in person where I live.
    I get positive compliments on it all the time.

13. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    #13 350HPMondial, Aug 11, 2009
  14. porscheracer01

porscheracer01 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2008
    Parkslope
    Full Name:
    DD

bella machina.... a bad design ferrari does not exist. unless of course your a moron.

15. cinevillage

cinevillage Karting

Apr 21, 2004
    ITALY
    Full Name:
    LUCIO
    i love this car

16. ryankjb

ryankjb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I do too. The simple and elegant design make it very attractive to me, although I do have to say that I think they got better looking with each variation, the 3.2 looked better than the 8, and the T looks better than the 3.2. Just

my opinion of course.

17. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Mondial's are not very photogenic, they do look good in the metal though IMHO.

18. fgg

fgg Karting

Jul 5, 2005
    Dearborn, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Frank Guido
    The mondial when photographed low, especially at an angle rear or front shows off its sleek styling the best. It is at its best in the flesh not photos. I always get great responses, thumbs up, from many people.

19. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The Mondial MUST BE SEEN IN PERSON.... it changes the game. Personal experience
    speaking. Pay no attention to that photograph you may see on the web (although
    some posted in this thread and others DO capture it to a good degree)

I WANT ONE!!!

20. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Personally I think the Mondial looks best in black rather than red.

21. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I think that is because the black bumpers on the earlier cars blend into the black car.

22. f1lupo

f1lupo Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Johnny S
    I saw my first Mondial in person at a FCA event last month and I must admit it looks much better in person than in pictures. A friend of mine just bought a 71 Espada and in pictures that car also looks awkward but in person it's stunning.

I think its a beautiful choice for anyone with more than 1 kid ! I have 2 kids and still havent figured out how to fit us three in the 328GTS :)

23. f1lupo

f1lupo Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Johnny S
    also wanted to add that anyone making rude comments about a Mondial is obviously not a Ferrari enthusiast

24. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    #24 judge4re, Aug 16, 2009
    I like the contrast the red with black provides. Size wise, they are actually closer to a 360 than they are to a 308...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. clamont

clamont Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I've always accepted that some people don't care for the Mondial's styling. OTOH, I've always liked it, particularly the cab. I do slightly prefer the lines of the 308/328, but since I don't fit in these cars, the Mondial is a pretty darn good alternative. Combined with the practicality (so much available space!) and the true open top, I think I might prefer the Mondi overall. It's pretty much a coin flip taking all this into account.

As to those who don't care for the Mondi's styling: well, I buy my cars to impress myself, so this works out well.

Still, as others have posted, I have noticed that people who see (and hear) the car in person are usually very taken with it. Very.