Recommend a netbook? | FerrariChat

Recommend a netbook?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Andy348, Aug 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
    My moms old laptop broke and she needs a new one. This'll most likely only be used for business, but you never know. Price range is pretty much under 400 if possible. I played with an Asus EEE Pc that was pretty nice. Also thinking of loading Windows 7 on it, 'cause its amazing.

Any suggestions?

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I love my Asus EEEpc. Mine is the HA (harddrive, Atom) configuration and wouldn't want it any other way.

p.s. I doubt it can run Windows 7. The machine is configured (barely) for XP, but does a great job with Web, email, and Office apps. Not a gamer by any stretch!

3. otaku

otaku Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Boise,Idaho
    Full Name:
    Josh
    hp and dell both make nice machines worst case scenario you can buy used to stay within budget

4. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    You won't be able to run Windows 7. I suggest playing around with different ones. The HP I used was really nice, but for a regular laptop, I suggest you stay away from netbooks. If you travel around a lot, and you find it convenient, then go for it. The mousepads are really small, and if you use it a lot, you'll find it annoying. Of course, you'll end up growing into it.

My dad bought me a new laptop, HP G70 for 399 @ OfficeDepot or Max :eek: and it came with Free Windows 7 upgrade, free 2GB flash drive, and a free printer after rebate. It's a 17in", but I haven't gotten it from him yet, so I'm still using my POS Acer, that i had to remove the lining above the keyboard because my screen is flickering.

Depends what she will be using it for, and how portable she wants it to be. I suggest a 14.1-15.6" laptop, with a low weight.

5. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Woops! I forgot all about this!

She won't be using this 24/7.. much the opposite. She had a 17" laptop before that broke and from there she has neglected to replace it due to cost and having to lug it around. The netbook will only be used travelling, which will most likely be a week or two maximum (per trip).

I'll check Dell and the ASUS again, thanks guys!

6. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    7/24? That's not possible, ya know?

7. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy

lol'd

8. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    My mistake, the G70 was 499.

9. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Pick up an Acer Aspire One for less than 3 Benjamins, out the door - XP3 on a 160 Gig cool runner with 1 Gig Memory. Pick up a Wireless mouse, new pad & small tote while you're at it.

Peel stickers, plug in battery & charger. Fill info forms.

Change font and sizes to her liking. Put away reading glasses.

Dump bloatware like MS Works; Google Desktop; Office/McAfee/Game Trials, etc.

Replace with OpenOffice & AVG.

Update Java, Flash & Virus.

Pronounce self done with Explorer.

Download & Update Firefox. [IMHO, Google Chrome kicks, but is still a little buggy - I haven't given it a shot on my AA1 yet.]

Change Firefox font & sizes to her liking.

Note all that was done in an hour.

Clean Disk, Defrag.

Eat. Eat! Have some dessert! Have some more!

By the time all that's done [2 hours], the only thing bloated will be you & the battery will be fully charged & she can hit the road, complete with wireless & built-in webcam.

10. Andy348

Andy348 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Perfect! Sounds like a fun time.

I'll check these out at Best Buy probably tomorrow.

11. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #11 Gran Drewismo, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
    I like my Aspire One, tried the Asus EEEpc and found the keyboard cramped.

Only downside so far with the Aspire One is that the mouse buttons are on either side of the touchpad rather than the bottom.

Also, I have Linux on there (Linpus Lite) which is ok but XP will be going on there soon after I try out the Ubuntu Netbook Remix.

/rambling