HGTE kit retro-fitted to my 599 | FerrariChat

HGTE kit retro-fitted to my 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by Maximus Brutus, Aug 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Maximus Brutus

Maximus Brutus Karting

Feb 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    #1 Maximus Brutus, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just time for a quick snap today after I picked her up. Bigger version here - http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/968/img1725r.jpg

I had the whole HGTE package fitted except the carbon and interior parts. First impressions are of a slightly stiffer ride but not one that destroys ride quality. Car looks a lot lower than the -10mm ride height suggests and I just love the wheels. Exhaust is actually a little quieter until the flap opens then it's a little louder.

Will report back when I get the chance to push her hard.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2005
    South Texas
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Five words--True No BS Ferrari GT. Looks very nice and definitely better lowered. Congrats!

3. Stefan_009

Stefan_009 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2008
    Boston area, MA
    Full Name:
    Stefan
    Thats beautiful, im sure your enjoying every minute of her.

4. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Your car looks beautiful!
    What do you think of the new sport exhaust for your car? Is it worth the money?

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Max- That is just beautiful and I love the wheels as well. Trying to figure out how to get a set of 19s in the diamond finish for my 575M.

Love red Ferraris (and any other color, now that I think about it).

Taz
    Terry Phillips

6. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    I can't wait to get more of your driving impressions!!!

7. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
  8. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    Nice. Enjoy your "new" toy. Looking forward to the driving impressions.

Cheers,

M

9. cridom60

cridom60 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2007
    France
    Full Name:
    dominique
    Just one question for all owners who would like to do the same: what is finally the total cost for such upgrade? just in case it could be relativelly more easy to find quite quickly a second hand 599 and get such upgrade done in few weeks rather than placing an order for a brand new HGTE one to be delivered in 6 months!

10. champagne612

champagne612 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Mar 28, 2009
    Wheels are now fitting that body design. Its a cheap upgrade if you consider the upgrade to justify keeping your 599 longer. That is one upgrade that wont be frowned upon!

11. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    CAS (ContinentalAutoSports)offers the retro fit HGTE package with four kits in stock.

Handling kit: $20,175
    Performance kit: $10,400
    Exhaust kit: $5,630
    Asthetic kit: $998.00
    PS.
    The exhaust kit can only be fitted on 599's with Vin# 156938 and greater. Check out their current newsletter available on their website for all the details

12. Sareve

Sareve F1 Rookie

Oct 23, 2007
    Singapore/Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Why is this? Was there an upgrade on 599s with Vin# 156938 and greater?

13. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    If there was, I sure missed the boat. Mine was built in May 07 with a 155 Vin#.

14. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    There is an exhaust upgrade available for vehicles prior to the indicated VIN and Manual transmission versions, it does not have a engine software upgrade though.

15. Maximus Brutus

Maximus Brutus Karting

Feb 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    #15 Maximus Brutus, Aug 20, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
    The engine software upgrade is actually a new ECU by the way. In Switzerland I paid 24,000 Swiss Francs for this upgrade which included part exchanging my old parts.

16. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    That's quite a beautiful car and background! A 599 and Switzerland, too! Wooooww!!!

17. cridom60

cridom60 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2007
    France
    Full Name:
    dominique
    thanks speed racer,
    that means around 28 000 euros for an HGTE upgrade, i.e starting with a good second hand 599 for 180 to 200 000 euros in europ, we can get quite quickly an hgte 599 for 205 to 230 000 euros immediatly compare to a six to twelve months delivery for a brand new at 250 to 275 000 euros

18. ferrarirafi

ferrarirafi Karting

Oct 16, 2006
    rutgers, egypt
    Full Name:
    joe smith
    nice photos
    I am anxious to hear the results...I am considering doing the 2nd stage of the upgrade (I happen to like my challenge ball polished rims)...my discussions yesterday with ferrari of tampa bay let me to believe the exhaust system would produce a higher pitched sound...i was dissapointed with the sound level of the stock system....I had the local tech Gabe open both valves up, and have been happier with the sound, but not ecstatic...please let me know your take on that as well...

19. FerrariF1v12

FerrariF1v12 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Feb 14, 2007
    Liberty City
    Full Name:
    Christian
    im happy for you brother..it's a beauty and i would have deffinitely done the same with a "base" 599....awesome is an understatement.

20. Maximus Brutus

Maximus Brutus Karting

Feb 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    #20 Maximus Brutus, Sep 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've now had a chance to push my 599 hard with the HGTE upgrades. Here is a summary of the changes when compared to the stock car.

Firmness of Suspension - There is a difference but it is subtle. Sport is now like the old Race and Race is a little firmer still. The good news is that ride quality is not affected materially so don't be concerned about this area.

Roll - Significantly reduced, I'd say by around 50%. This makes the car feel better balanced and more controllable in bends. Very pleased with this improvement.

Tyres - Quite a bit more lateral grip from the new softer compound tyres. Not sure about longevity, but to be honest I don't care. This car deserves very grippy tyres and it now has them.

Exhaust - Bit of a mystery this. It was quieter but seems to have got louder after 500km of use. Is it louder than the original? Not sure. If so the difference is small. Tips look nicer so I'm happy but don't buy the HGTE pack to have a louder exhaust.

Software - Switching the Mannetino from Sport to Race now automatically changes down a gear. Full throttle shifts in Race mode are now noticeably faster.

Wheels - For me they are simply in a different league to the challenge-style originals, but that's down to personal preference.

Ride height - Lower, but due to firmer suspension and reduction in roll, less grounding at the frond end. In the mountains this would happen often breaking hard into hairpin bends. No more.

Overall I'm very happy with the HGTE parts. They certainly make the car handle better and add to the quality of the driving experience.

Here's a snap of my car taken in the Swiss Alps on Sunday :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    *thumbs up*

22. papataori

papataori Karting

Oct 24, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Will
    Thanks for the update. The car looks great!

23. johns930

johns930 Formula 3

May 9, 2005
    ur car looks awesome with them wheels, lucky u said the exhaust it not much louder, so i will think about that upgrade some more. locally in taiwan, ferrari wants US$40k for the whole thing. do u think its worth it??
    and i dont think i can order it in pieces.

24. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    Thanks for the update!

I should be getting mine in about a month......can't friggin' wait!!

25. ryankjb

ryankjb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    You have an amazing car, thanks for sharing your experience with us.