A Brand New Ferrari for half price? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

A Brand New Ferrari for half price?

Discussion in '308/328' started by AHudson, Aug 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ZiFF

ZiFF Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2009
    #26 ZiFF, Aug 17, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
    It's a beautiful car, but it's far from original (it wasn't intended to be). Almost none of it is stock - color (exterior and interior), wheels, tires (size), lighting, bumpers, grille, etc.

2. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks. I guess I just read past the "new car" part and didn't really look all that
    close. Now I have, and yes - LOTS of things are not right. Weird - why go through
    all that pain and expense to have be a Frankenrarri? Why not make it be RIGHT?
    Perhaps the fact the original eBay ad showed it having ZERO miles, which was later
    updated to 35k... perhaps more sales here than love...

3. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    #28 Tony K, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
    I think it is a very good-spirited restoration; "Right" vs. "Frankenrarri" is way too strong a descriptor. The modifications are the typical stuff that 308 owners do; bumpers/lights/wheels/etc. -- representative of the most popular of factory 308 details. It's not like he put a huge wing on the back or something! :)

If I had deep pockets and wanted a perfect 308 GTB -- or just liked that particular car -- I wouldn't mess around; I'd hit the proverbial buy-it-now on what is obviously a tremendous value. There are a lot of people out there who have the money and desire for a mint condition classic but are lacking either the time or skill to restore one, or would simply rather buy a mint one and engage their efforts into keeping it perfect rather than "bringing one up". For someone in such a situation who wants a 308, the pickings are slim, and the cost of buying one and having it restored will be far greater, not to mention the potential headache.

. . . but as long as people who are afraid to put money into their 308s are running around whining that "It won't be worth what you spend on it," or "It'll never be worth blah blah blah," those with more money (who are typically wiser with it) will think twice before plunking down the big bucks on an exceptional one. Truly, it takes a genuine enthusiast to bring up the market value of a model, and it happens naturally and genuinely, when the cars are given the TLC they deserve. All of the well-wishing and praise of speculators and wanna-be speculators who claim to be enthusiasts won't do for a car's value what honest, dedicated TLC on the part of owners who truly adore their cars will.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #29 Rifledriver, Aug 18, 2009
    All emission equipment gone. Single distributor, no US version came that way. Suspension bolts put in helter skelter, not the way the factory did it. That is just a couple of things I noticed. Wasn't even looking for stuff.

Plus if it was being judged I would deduct points for over restoration.
    Again it is not why he built the car.

5. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Here you can but the car must have a declaration the mileage is incorrect.

6. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    it is very nice looking, but its a color change car.

hell some you think putting 16 inch repo wheels on these cars to replace the 14s or 390mm wheels is a sin. its going to be very interesting to see what a color changed car is worth.

i wish him the best of luck.

7. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Interesting...

@Newman - good luck and I hope you get every penny of it. There is little doubt you deserve it. I just wish I could find a copy of the Forza with the article....

PDG

8. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
  9. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Yeah, but I want the hard copy of Forza. My local bookstore has some older issues on the new issue rack - like the June issue or something, but none of the current one. I have been checking with them quite regularly to get it.

PDG

10. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    I agree that color changes CAN be poorly done, in a 'street scene' kind-of-way, with flecks of the current color peeling away to reveal the original. Yet there are many 'color changes' on the Pebble Beach lawn each year, with period correct colors being an acceptable change. (Some muse that half the 300SLs have an identity complex due to the commonality in that group.)

Seems a quarter of the cars that leave RPM do so in "Blue Sera" regardless of what color they were when the pulled in. If my Boxer ever gets twanged, I may do the same.

Anyway, a ground-up, frame-off resto done in period correct colors shouldn't cause much of a blink there. Again, we'll see.

Some of the 'concessions' made to current resto practice allow for stealthy upgrades. Modern rubber, batteries, brake line materials, even insulation or electrical upgrades don't get quite the hack they used to unless you're in the top-tier (i.e. 'insane') originality group.

I agree with you too that the 'wrong' wheel detractors tend to be those who don't intend to do much street driving in real conditions. I'd prefer to use what's acceptably useable now; save the 'real stuff' for the originality buffs later.

I re-read the Forza article last night, half-drooling over this car again. I believe many well-heeled folk who want a 'new' 308 would put this one at the top of the list with modern fuse box, better insultation, a tad more power, and certainly better rubber included. Time will tell.

11. Doright

Doright Karting

Jan 19, 2007
    Pahrump NV.
    Full Name:
    Dennis B.
    Not if it's in the USA..... UNLESS you want to go to prison.

12. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    If I had the cash, I would buy it quickly. How much is a Mustang, Camaro, 'Cuda restored to those standards? Personally I'd rather have a 308GTB.

Aren't there a few guys on this forum who've already spent more than $100K on their 308s?

So would you really rather have a $90K 360 over Newman's 308? Not me!

I got a 308GTB because it's my fav of the affordable Ferraris, I mean $100K or less.
    I don 't want a 348 or a 355 or anything newer, oh if I want a "better" car, I'll get a new Audi or Benz, or BMW, but I REALLY want a 308GTB, and you can't buy a new one............unless you buy Newman's for the price of an Audi, Benz or BMW.

One other thing about Forza and their recycled "buyers guide" aren't the GTBs worth more than the GTSs? Not according to Forza, the S is worth $5K more, I'm not sure that's very accurate, is it?

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not true.

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No one care about color changes on these things.

15. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I think the point of Newman's restoration, which may be getting lost here is that, not only did he restore the car, he sought to correct the flaws in the original design. His car is not all OEM, but every modification he made was extremely well thought out and, in the end, probably will have resulted in a car far better built than that which left the factory. If you are looking for the perfect blend of quality, durability, and beauty, it would be pretty much impossible to beat this car. If I were to restore a 308 and had the abilities of Newman, I would have done it the exact same way. It was not built to win concours events, as Rifledriver pointed out. It was just an unbelievable over the top, once in a lifetime restoration.

16. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Very well said, Joe...

And as we all know, but will never admit publically, what Paul has done could not be replicated for anywhere near the price he's asking for the car. Far too many folks still believe that Ferrari's can be fixed "on the cheap"...

The "perfect" 308, with all issues address, fully restored...Tempting, very tempting, as I know first hand what it takes to make these cars right.

If I were looking the perfect "virgin" 308, this would be the car...no questioned asked. The price; very fair...maybe even on the low side?

Best,
    David

17. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    #42 Neonzapper, Aug 18, 2009
    Yeah, Newman is an expert at tweaking parts. For instance, he put 328 doors on this 308, and did his magic on the inside locks. That guy's a magician!

This is no original virgin F-car for sure, but it definitely qualifies as everything close to what an untouched 308 could have looked like 30 years ago. Maybe he can get a yellow coded Ferrari factory color sticker for the engine cover, but apparently wouldn't need one as some judges don't care about originality of color.

This car is what it is. Not original, overrestored and close to what an original was like 30 years ago. A remarkable work of art by a guy with a lot of time and talent.

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    All true. It will be interesting to see what the market says it is worth. I suspect his labor all went for free and some of the money spent as well. It is not cheap or easy to do what he did.

19. ZiFF

ZiFF Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2009
    It will be very interesting. It already has a bid higher than I thought it would get. I'm really curious to see where it goes to.

20. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    There's undoubtedly a buyer out there for Newman's beautiful 308. It may not be an originality purist or a person with a limited budget but that leaves a lot of ferrari admirers out there with pretty deep pockets for a car that looks great. Perhaps a Barret Jackson type buyer is the one who will write the right kind of check (and be very happy with the purchase).

21. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Incidentally, I saw AJ Foyt's 512 go for bottom basement price of around $85,000 at a recent BJ auction in Scottsdale - somebody is now trying to sell it for $140,000. Not a bad profit margin there!

22. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I'm one of those who can't understand why someone would "waste" $150K on a used F430 when you could get into a 246 GTS.

So, the right buyer is probably out there somewhere.

23. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    I think in a few years this car would sell easily for that money. Maybe this is just me, but as time has gone by (in my almost 6 years of ownership) and driving other cars, and newer cars, I truly think 308 prices will jump up. These are truly great drivers cars. They handle as good as anything new, but give you the feedback, and driving experience that almost NO cars for 25k can. Yes they can be expensive to maintain, but newer cars can be even MORE expensive to maintain.

Just my opinion,
    Jim

24. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Indeed. For about 6 months, I told myself, "If 550s EVER come down in price to where I could swap for my Boxer, I'd do it." (At that time, a 550 was $120k car or something.) Soon enough, they hit $100, then $90, then $80, and was offered one yesterday for $63 with 4,300 miles. Anyway, they are still GREAT cars, but my finances would not be happy with me right now had I jumped.

I too believe that in time, we'll look back at 3x8s the way others looked at 246s in their lull.

I also believe BullFighter just revealed more about his lust for a mid-engined 6 cyl car than intended!

25. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    206/246 cars are stunningly beautiful. but none of my well to do car collector freinds in their 30's care a thing about them. none of us understand why they are so damn expensive. you can buy a nice 911, a 308 Gt4, AND 308 GTB / GTS for what a 206/246 goes for!

peoples perception of the 308 series is really keen. i keep getting my lowly 308 GTB QV "noticed", by younger people, and thats a good thing. many of the pre Qv cars really should have valve jobs and full suspension rebuild because of age, and sodium filled valves . the cost of actually driving a 308 like a car will weed out alot of us !