355 anti owner alarm | FerrariChat

355 anti owner alarm

Discussion in '348/355' started by Manuel, Aug 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Manuel

Manuel Rookie

Oct 19, 2004
    San Juan,Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Manuel del Valle
    Can not use the car because I can not disarm the alarm. The car has a new siren/battery, all the remotes have new batteries and the alarm module antenna is clear of any obstructions and still the car does not respond in any way to the remote's signal.
    Have tried twice to reset by turning off the battery switch. Same results.
    Is there a way to completely bypass or better still remove the alarm system?
    Has someone had similar problems?

2. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    There is a way to insert the key and turn it a number of times to match the PIN code I believe to bypass the alarm... Check your owners manual

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    If the PIN code does not work then you are sol.

I still have not figured out how to disable my 550 alarm nor have I tried. One of these days I want to put in an RF id starter button system in my car with shaved door handles. So the factory alarm would just be in the way. I have thought a little bit about how these factory alarms might work. I have read a bit about the 360 alarms and 550 alarms and they may or may not be like the 355 alarms. Since your car is dead already I would try a few things that probably will not work. 1st I would unplug the alarm ecu and see what that did. On 360s' the alarm ecu talks to one side ECU...i forget which side. So perhaps if you switched the ECUS with the alarm ecu NOT connected the car may not even look for the alarm ECU and if you get lucky it will start. Somehow the alarm ecu can burn a code into the motronic ECU and then that ecu can't be used with any other alarm ECU or so it is rumored. If that ecu swap did not work then I would put the ecu's and the alarm ecus back together and try to figure out how the no start was achieved by the factory. Perhaps the fuel pump is disabled for example or power to the ignitors is disrupted. If you could figure out how the disabling is done you could bypass wire around it. These factory alarms are a real pain and can cost you a motronic ECU and or a new alarm ECU with new remotes to sort out on a 360 which could be around $1500+ just for the alarm kit and add another 1000 for an ECU. That is a pretty expensive alarm.

One of these days someone will tell me how to disable my alarm and then I'll be sworn to secrecy on how to do it to prevent thieves going after ferraris. However, this issue is such an expensive headache for so many owners and a cash cow for ferrari that if one day I figure it out I'll post how to kill the factory alarm here as a public service. There are better aftermarket alarm systems out there than Ferrari's.

4. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Italian electrics should *never* be further burdened with devices that prevent car starts. If you have a car alarm at all (ridiculus as the insurance payout from a successful theft is better than selling the vehicle after a failed theft attempt) on an Italian vehicle, it should be mechanical (e.g. a transmission lock).

Certainly a car alarm on a Motronic 2.7 system can be bypassed. M5.2 might not be so easy, though.

5. mwhitesell

mwhitesell Formula 3

Sep 17, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I know this isn't the case with the 355. I have a spare alarm ECU and the keyfobs to go with it, and it can be used to start any 355. If you were closer I would come by and plug it in to see if the ECU is the problem. This sounds like where the problem is.

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I do not know how the 355 alarms work. From your statement then I would assume if he unplugged his alarm ECU the car would start unless there is another no start condition unrelated to the alarm. There were two 355 ECU's 2.7 then 5.2 motronic. The 5.2 is also used in the 550 iirc and can be written to via the CAN line and can't function unless it sees the alarm ecu. I'm pretty certain on that but have not personally disconnected a 550 alarm. I am pretty sure the 360 works the same way but can't remember what motronic ECU it uses. The early 355 with the 2.7 motronic I don't think can link to an alarm ecu like the 360's or 550's. I'll figure it all out one day and post my results on Fchat one of these days.

7. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms

You sure dont want to be the one that makes every Ferrari OEM alarm system obsolete, re-think that a bit.

8. mwhitesell

mwhitesell Formula 3

Sep 17, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    No, it does not start if it's unplugged.
    I don't know how any of the others work. I just know I've seen my spare box start another 5.2 355.

9. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    I would.

Alarms are for insurance companies, not car owners. The damage done to your car is in the theft *attempt*. The car-owner is hit worse when the thief tries to steal the car, but fails. In that case, the owner has a damaged car; typically a smashed up steering column, mangled wiring harness, and often a smashed window or damaged door to gain entry into the car.

In contrast, if they take the whole car successfully, you get a full insurance payout.

10. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Then post away...

I have done it for 2 insurance companies and even refused to tell them how its done... its a matter of principle. With that logic, the keys should be left in the unlocked car to prevent any undo damage.

11. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Aye. I generally leave the top down and doors unlocked, regardless of neighborhood. I get a laugh from hearing the "chirp chirp" as invariably some soccer mom will park her SUV and lock it next to my fully open Ferrari.

Oy vey.

Free the mind!

12. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Now that I fully agree with on a Spider...no reason to give a kid with a widdle stick something to mess with. Top down and windows open at all times.