First drive | FerrariChat

First drive

Discussion in '206/246' started by nerodino, Aug 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    #1 nerodino, Aug 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sorted out gear selectors today and drove the car for the first time!
    Got to say i love it!
    Could'nt drive too far as my brakes are still a bit 'iffy' (see relevant new thread)
    A big thanks to all my fellow f-chatters whom have been such a great help over the 5 years that this project has taken (it's not over yet and i guess it never is!)
    Particularly a big thanks to Tony L and his expertise to whom i am eternally grateful and Ron of Superformance for his very valued imput.
    I am going to sleep well tonight.........Cheers all

P.S. Car still sits high, springs and shocks all appear correct.....another problem for later
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    It was a real pleasure to be there today and see her driven for her first journey. She sounds sweet too.

I think you need a round of applause to undertake the task and then complete the resto in your double garage.

Well done mate

3. StephenShoubridge

May 28, 2006
    West Sussex UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen Shoubridge
    Well done Graham
    another one back on the road

Stephen

4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I think, if you dig through OMGJON'S restoration thread #1, he had the same problem.

did you use new springs from Superformance?

Again, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Dave

5. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Thanks guy's
    Yes Omgjon did have the same problem and he quietly had new dampers made....i dont know about the springs he used.
    I have spoken to KONI and they said the dampers are the correct model for the car and as long as they are not seized it cannot be them thats causing the problem......the springs are original but measure up to Superformances uprated units they sell.....i know coz i took one down to them.....however it may be the spring tension that is wrong

6. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
    #6 daviekj, Aug 23, 2009
    Graham, very well done, a mamonth task, exellent, looks great.

The only pictures I have of the rear shocks and springs were on strip down. I did check the spring heights per manual and via a press. Originals were in tolerance. Was tempted to buy news ones from Superformance, but decided to have the originals powder coated. It is the only picture I have of them together. Not much help to you unless you fancy taking yours off and dis-assembling them agian, however, given the ride heights difference comparing with this photo should highlight if springs are wrong. I don't think its the shocks, springs may be.

Kevin

7. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Yes, I finally put adjustable coilovers on the car and dialed in the ride height to exactly where I wanted it.

8. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Happy day...LOVELY car!

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Congratualtions on a lovely conclusion.

BTW, did you tighten the suspension bush bolts when the suspension was in the air unloaded or when the full weight of the Dino was on them? You want to do the latter so as not to pre-load the car.

10. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Congratulations, Graham! Truly inspirational! Fred

11. 246gts

246gts Karting

Jan 10, 2005
    cheshire, uk
    Great work Graham.
    I bet I know of one happy chap tonight.
    I think the suggestion from Scott is worth checking out I have heard of that before
    Enjoy it as I feel sure you will
    Dave

12. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Congratulations Graham! A beautiful car and a fantastic achievement.

As more of these restoration stories come forth, I'm playing with the idea of doing the same, hopefully with my boy, in about 15 years when he's grown a bit.

I noticed the placement of your antenna. Is that the stock location? How many Dinos came with the antenna in that location? It's the first I've seen.

Best,

Manny

13. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    #13 celestialcoop, Sep 8, 2009
    Graham,
    Wow! Total metamorphosis! Now drive the 'ell out of 'er.

TonyL,
    I'm standing!

Manny,
    As for the antenna, that's the first I've seen mounted in that spot...on a GTS. However, it seems to be in nearly the same locale as on my GT. I believe it's more common to see it sprouting out of the roof of a coupe.

Cheers,
    Coop

14. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Coop,

Yes, I meant GTS. Sorry, was in a rush. :)

Manny

15. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    #15 nerodino, Sep 9, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
    Thanks for the kind comments chaps, You know i never gave it a thought about the antenna other than when i bought the car it had one there and i just automatically replaced it with a new item. Daft really as the Motorola is only for show because i hadnt the heart to mess up the new door cards by cutting speakers in them! who needs anything other than engine music anyhow?

Got my Brake bias unit back from Dino parts in Germany yesterday, rebuilt £120.00 with shipping back to me. They wouldnt sell me the seal rubbers seperately to enable me to rebuild it myself.
    Bled brakes tonight and drove car (Has 7 miles on it now!!!) still pedal doesnt feel that good and unsure if servo is contributing much. Oil leak appeared on engine so put it away for the night, will try messing about tommorow with it.

Would have got this done earlier but wife broke down in her 72 fiat 500 so i went to her rescue but had to tow her home 15 miles on the end of a rope ( i mean she was in the car and not personally on the end of the rope as she wouldnt appreciate that!) got car back safely after one embarrasing snap of the rope at a junction (much shouting at the Mrs) spent £1.38 on a new condensor and car is running fine again.......if only the Dino was that cheap on parts...

16. Ferranki

Ferranki Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Ken
    A big +1!