Playing Blue Ray on VLC | FerrariChat

Playing Blue Ray on VLC

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Remy Zero, Aug 30, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Recently, i got soft copies of Spiderman 1-3, Fast & The Furious franchise, and a couple more of other movies on blue ray format. Most of the movie size is 10 gb.

Now, the problem is, every 5 mins or so, when the movie is playing teh video freezes for 3-5 seconds, but the audio continues playing. Then an error msg comes up 'Computer Too Slow'.

First off, have no idea what that msg means. Secondly, is it due to the fact that the size of the movie is huge, hence the 'laggi-ness?'

Is there any solution to this? Thanks in advance.

2. Systo

Systo Karting

Feb 15, 2007
    Plano
    Full Name:
    A.J.
  3. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I'm using a 2008 iMac OS X. right now, i have about 42 gb worth of space. Slow? does this mean i have to off other applications while watching it? BTWs, it's 'mkv' file....

4. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
  5. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Thanks mate, but thats for Windows. :)

6. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    #6 Remy Zero, Aug 31, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
    Guys, it's been really frustrating for me today. I tried all sorts of way, but every blu-ray movie is the same. It still freezes, the audio goes on then only after about 4-5 sec delay, teh video resumes. Maybe it's the fact that my iMacis just 1 gb ram? The memory is not high enough?

7. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    #7 Fast_ian, Sep 2, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
    Damn dude! I didn't think you could even get a 2008 iMac with only 1GB!..... ;)

I would guess that's your problem, especially if, as you imply, you have other apps open at the same time - Does it improve any if you close (shutdown, not minimize) everything else? - I suspect you're still going to see the problem, but maybe somewhat less often?....

BTW, Apple prices on memory are most of the time a bad joke - Plenty of 3rd parties will be about 1/2 their price unless Apple just happens to have updated their stuff. I suspect you have 1 x 1GB stick - Cheapest option is just to add another of those. If you want more, you're probably gonna need to pull out what's there and replace with, say, 2 X 2GB sticks.

Didn't we (the great unwashed herein!) advise you to get more memory in the thing when you bought it?.....

Cheers,
    Ian
    EDIT: PS, Do you have "stuff" on your desktop? - Other than "Macintosh HD", other H/W and maybe a folder? - A cluttered desktop also eats RAM....]

8. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    #8 SPEEDCORE, Sep 8, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
    Did you work it out?

When it says your computer is slow, it is talking about your cpu and video card. Not how much space you have(well it only matters if you have only like 2gb space left). Even tho I don't know the specs of a 2008 imac I would assume it would be fast enough to handle 1080p files... Some of the codecs used with MKV files can make certain videos run slow but its prob an issue with VLC.

1st try upping the cache and see if that fixes the stuttering.

Goto Tools---preferences---Show "ALL" selected---Input/Codecs---Access Modules---File and then increase the cache size. Default is 300, try around 800-1000 see if that fixes it, if not keep upping it by 500ms. Make sure you click save.

Also don't do anything else that eats CPU cycles while watching the vid :eek:

Good Luck.

9. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Thanks mate. tried that. Still didn't work. I just checked...i have 52.17 gb on my hard disk left. I think, it's just the memory. I definitely need to upgrade the ram.. :eek:

10. nsdhami

nsdhami Rookie

Oct 11, 2009
    I was also having same problem but later tried Cyberlink PowerDVD and it plays without any problems

11. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Correct..... upgrading the ram is the next logical step. Esp. because ram is so cheap. Less than $100 for 4gb.

Report back

12. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I checked the prices of the ram, it's about RM300 plus, if i remember correctly for 2gb ram. It's quite long time ago, i can't really recall the price, and the size of the ram. Anyways, the most important thing is, I know the issue of the problem, which is the size of my ram. Thanks for the help anyways guys!