Used Movado Value?? | FerrariChat

Used Movado Value??

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Highlow, Aug 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Highlow

Highlow F1 Veteran

Dec 3, 2006
    Sac
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    #1 Highlow, Aug 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm looking at buying a used Movado Valor 0604409. It is one year and four months old and therefore has eight months left on warranty. It comes with the box as well.

How much should I be looking to pay for this if it is in good condition upon inspection? And what is the depreciation on a watch like this? Resale?

Thanks

"retail" is $2295, but they can be found for %60 of that other places new.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I wouldn't pay $.01 over $450. You can buy new Movados for 65% off all day.

3. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Keep it. It is a great classic watch and probably the best you can get for the money. I had one years ago and ended up giving it to my cousin because it pained me to let it go for so cheap. They have no resale value.

4. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    +1 on the no resale value. Great watch though. I have 2 Movados - nice watches - elegant.

5. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    The problem with Movados is that they are fashion watches, and are not interesting from a horological perspective. This means that the pool of buyers generally consists of people who want that fashion watch. When you take away the collectors who admire the technological sophistication of a watch, you seriously reduce both the number of buyers and the amount they are willing to pay.

Only horological dorks are dumb enough to pay more for something than it originally cost :D (I say being one of those types myself).

Buy a movado the same way you would buy a Toyota Camry. Try to buy below market value (eBay is a good tool to gauge market value), and don't expect it to ever appreciate, because it almost certainly won't.

And as always, buy what makes YOU happy!

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I have one that looks like that but it has a blue face and a tungsten carbide band. The tungsten carbide is a very unique color and makes it pretty heavy but it is almost scratch proof. Originally paid just under $2K but doubt it is worth more than $500 now.

I have to say I really like the watch. It is VERY thin so I can wear it with tight cuffs. The design is classic and it is very comfortable. What's not to liike.

I would say just keep it. Always nice to switch up once in a while.

7. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #7 yzee, Sep 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This new Movado said $1400 retail on the factory sticker. $329 at Sam's club. Nice for the money, but I wouldn't have paid $600 for it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. L8Braker

L8Braker Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Asheville NC
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Stafford
    check ebay... they always are listed for sale.

I've been trying to find a Fiero Round tungsten as a daily wear watch....I keep missing them at the movado outlets for 800....msrp is 2995. Movado store in vegas would even discount it to 1695, so used prices are going to be cheap.

9. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Yeah for fashion watches, the MSRP is pretty much just a made up number.