Help! Help! car show tomorrow | FerrariChat

Help! Help! car show tomorrow

Discussion in '308/328' started by lostbowl, Sep 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lostbowl

lostbowl Formula 3

Apr 30, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Hi to all,
    Well all went well with the major and she fired right up but wouldn't start hot! No-brainer the accumulator was gone and replaced it and all was fine but hadn't driven her yet because we were putting the seats back in today after a re-dye. (Leatherique's great stuff) Now for the panic, went to pull her out this morning and it would not start! Checked all the normal crap and all is OK. Started measuring fuel pressures and found that I have a full 5.5 bars but the regulated pressure at 68F was 2.5 bars and the Bosch manual calls for 1.5 at low temp. I opened the air flow disc with my hand and sure enough she took right off but died when I let it go! OK sounds like the WUR but they don't seem to be easy to find and our little town has a car show tomorrow and I don't think a F-car has ever been here so my question for all is can I adjust the WUR or is there temporary fix to get by? I took the WUR apart and don't see a way of adjusting it. re-lost

2. andy2175m4@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy Rein
    I just spent 2 months trying to get the WUR and fuel dist. working on my 82 308, and concluded that they are not repairable, they have to be sent out and re-calibrated by a shop with the capital equipment to do the job.

The WUR is a simple device, but hard to fix at home. I spent a couple weeks on that one, I even built my own test set using auto parts store parts, but ultimately my undoing was too and came up empty. I suggest you seek professional help to rebuild the WUR.

3. flyngti

flyngti Formula 3

Jul 16, 2009
    Snohomish, WA
    Full Name:
    Eric L
  4. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Tom,

I don't have the 308 WUR specs handy, but for a 328 the cold (20dC) pressure should be approximately 2.0 bars. It would appear that the WUR is out of specs and should be checked by a pro. Larry Fletcher (who posts on this board) would be the man to repair your WUR. There is no simple or quick fix, as the WUR sets the entire fuel curve for your engine, off idle. Contrary to popular thinking, the mixture adjustment screw only sets the "base mixture" and cannot compensatate for a toasted WUR.

Best,
    David

5. lostbowl

lostbowl Formula 3

Apr 30, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Thanks for the help! What I did do was to shim the arm that holds the resistor that creates false heat! I did get it running actually quite well! The A/F ratio is way off and that will be todays adventure. I was getting no fuel to the engine so my simple logic was to over-compensate and make the WUR think it is cold outside and it dumped plenty of fuel but like I said it is only a temp fix and now I have to get the gas analyzer out and see if I can correct things. Thanks for the reply! still lost

6. PittsS2APilot

PittsS2APilot Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2007
    Gulfport MS
    Full Name:
    Joe
    You need to talk to Larry Fletcher to get some tips on finding out whats going on in there.

7. lostbowl

lostbowl Formula 3

Apr 30, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The site that Flyngti reccomended is where the real info is!! What I accomplished with shims is done very easy from the out side and saves allot of work! She never ran so well, I realize now how important getting the control pressure correct! great site, Thanks
    not so lost
    PS not only made it to the car show (little show 70 cars) but took first place in the 80s to present catagory!