D. Helms 550 Electrical connector upgrade to Gold - anyone seen elec problems? | FerrariChat

D. Helms 550 Electrical connector upgrade to Gold - anyone seen elec problems?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by synchro, Sep 3, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    There is a discussion in the Tech area and it surrounds 348, 355, etc electrical connectors and David Helms is putting together kits with gold upgrade as a solution. Not sure many have seen the 550 as having the same issues as other cars, but he says the style of connectors is the same so it seems reasonable that the same issues might crop up:
    Perhaps, just be informed of what DH is doing, looks innovative
    See here:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236795&page=2

2. Mr Mezzanotte

Mr Mezzanotte Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2006
    UK
    try stabilant-22 - that's what a lot of the porsche and vintage lamborghini guys use.

3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    While I have not seen 550 electrical problems like the mondial or 348 I am 100% convinced that they still exist in our cars (550). I have posted before in other areas of FC about the progression of my 348 from a very pristine streetcar to a full on dzus fastnered racecar and the gradual evolution of increased reliability as the OEM electronics were either eliminated or modified. Guys in the 348/355 section have noted the same things I noticed that with modification of electronics these cars not only run more reliably but with more power. So I will be DaveH's testor or at least user of his gold connector kit. I "know" that there will be improvement. I'm not sure what I am missing yet but hope to feel a difference. Ferrari specs out their connectors for a rediculously low number of cycles and for those of us who will hold on to our cars for years the gold connectors will be value added and keep us running reliably for longer periods of time. For some reason the 550 is more reliable than other ferraris but in reality the build quality is just more of the mediocre same. Anyone would conclude I'm right if they take apart a door panel, have a shrinking dash, or pull any engine connector to find dirt clearly visible in the connector body.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    FBB- One thing for sure. If Dave does it, it is solid gold, whether connectors, hoses or maintenance.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

6. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    .....that would be a Ferrari, all right......;-)

Tritone

7. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Good luck, they just made Stabiliant 22 illegal in California. Time to move out of this fu-king state.

8. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    #8 rustybits, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
    I've come across issues on the fusebox, usually the high-draw plugs like the thick rubberised plug that carries the supply feeds into the box,and also the contacts that supply power from the board to the cooling fans. In the U.K i used to see quite a few suffering from corrosion at the ABS unit plug, (due in no small way to the crummy English climate!) so I'm positive that Dave's high quality connectors would help.

9. 3forty8

3forty8 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 25, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Eric
    While Stabilant 22 provides some initial benefit, it tends to build up a varnish-like layer on the connectors with repeated use.

Probably because the 550 isn't as old yet, and/or had as many disconnect/connect cycles for maintenance.