348 new drip from clutch area | FerrariChat

348 new drip from clutch area

Discussion in '348/355' started by markgllc, Sep 4, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. markgllc

markgllc Karting

Dec 25, 2008
    Fairborn, OH
    My 348 hasn't leaked anything...until now. After driving it today I noticed a few drops of fluid coming from the clutch housing bottom area after I parked it. I ALWAYS check about 30 minutes after a drive for any fluid leaks...never had 1 until today. Looks to be hydraulic fluid...clear and coming from the grate on the bottom of the clutch housing. Not a lot of it only a few drops. Any means I have a problem starting though. My concern is it's likely on my clutch plate and washing down my throw out bearing for me so it'll start squeeling if it washes all the grease out. The car will be getting a major soon but is there something I can do now to fix it and what is likely to be causing the leak? I am assuming there is a slave cylinder that I'm not seeing at first glace that maybe mounts into the tranny to actuate the TO bearing...? If so is it easy to rebuild and where might I find a rebuild kit? Hope I'm not looking at a crazy cost to fix this...I'd like to fix it ASAP but I'm not sure where to start...

There's no noticable difference in how the clutch feels but should I not drive it until I resolve this? I've not looked at the fluid level yet to see if it's low but will check it tomorrow. This just started so maybe if I fix it now I can avoid a bigger problem...? Any tips would be apprecaited. Thanks in advance ... I did try to search it out but not really finding the info I need. I'm going to keep looking as I'm sure someone else (probably poor Ernie) has had this happen. Sorry if I'm rethreading somthing that already exists but I can't find it...

MarkG

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Sounds like the throwout bearing seals mate. :):)

An EASY fix! There have been many many threads in the past showing how to replace the seals or replace the part. :):)

I have to be off now, so I dont have time to post a few links up for you. But wont be long before someone will chime in with links and/or more information. :):)

Happy wrenching Mark. :):)

3. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
  4. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
  5. markgllc

markgllc Karting

Dec 25, 2008
    Fairborn, OH
    I'm looking over the posts and reading the info on the links you all sent. Many thanks BTW...great people on here willing to help point beginners in the right direction. Was hopeing it was like other cars and there was a slave that simply bolted to the case and easily extracted for new seals...but the 348 ISN'T like other cars LOL now is it. I'm feeling Bens apprehension about pulling the pumpkin...it's not that I don't think I can do it but looks to be a job where other things need tended to while your in there ie tripple seals, flywheel repack, new clutch and TO bearing. Also looks like it's tricky to get everything lined up for reassembly. Looks like fun ;-) Can't wait to see the parts bill...but it costs to drive no matter what it is. That's just reality.

My fluid level isn't low so it's a small leak at the moment but I don't trust it so she's parked for now...one pump of the clutch and it could let go altogether. Too risky for me. I know my luck, I don't win in Vegas and won't gamble with this car. My goal is to sort it out make it better and not drive it into the ground by neglecting service. After all it is 18 years old...nothing lasts forever especially in the high performance world. If I didn't expect this knid of thing...I'd have bought a Camery but there is no comparison now is there :)

Wish me luck...I'm going in....I'll take pics and post my progress. Have a packed week next week but will start the following week. MarkG

6. MarkJ

MarkJ Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    NW Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    MarkG,
    Sorry to hear of your first "issue" on your 348, but at least it seems to be an easy fix. Why not just move up the date of your major and do it all at once?

MarkJ

7. markgllc

markgllc Karting

Dec 25, 2008
    Fairborn, OH
    Hey Mark, yea I may do that as I want to do more than just fix the leak. I think doing it all while I have it broken apart is the best way to go. New throw out bearing, tripple seals, clutch reline and flywheel repack. No signs it needs the additional work but better safe than sorry. The leak is very small doesn't effect the fluid level but that could change with a push of the clutch pedal. Got 3-4 days of sweet driving before this poped up...got it out of my system for a second but am disappointed I may miss the rest of the good driving weather this year.

You really want me to drop this engine don't you LOL...I know it's coming...you do too LOL. I just hoped I wouldn't get initiated so fast. Guess it's time to get my hands dirty eh? You're first in line for a crack at the car if I ever sell it...you want ME to do all the dirty work LOL. It'll be even sweeter when ya drive it next time. Love ya brother...

Thanks again for your test drive CD, hope the card for dinner has arrived. Sorry I didn't get it out sooner. MarkG

8. notbostrom

notbostrom Formula Junior

May 8, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Mark,

I wouldn't hesitate to do the job again myself. The flywheel would only need to be done if it's leaking grease. The whole job can be done with a socket set and basic hand tools (actualy you could do the job with just whats in the Ferrari tool kit LOL). It took me longer due to some health issues, a pregnant wife and the fact that my car is in storage and not at the house. I also did it all alone. If you had a helper I'd say it would be a 2 weekend job.. only because I would pull everything apart one weekend, order parts and then re assemble the next weekend. My total cost with the flywheel re pack and all seals was under $300.

Ben

9. markgllc

markgllc Karting

Dec 25, 2008
    Fairborn, OH
    Did you have the repack done or did you do it yourself? If you sent it out, who did it for you? I think I could do it but may prefer to send it out to get it all done faster. I've been laying under it looking at what's ahead...doesn't really seem all that hard. The exhaust is the hardest part of it but even that doesn't look difficult if I break it at the muffler connection instead of the cats as those bolts are garder to get at it won't be hard at all. Once the muffler is out of the way...it looks to be really easy. I just dropped the inspection plate and it was really clean in there. I may knock this out before I do the major this winter so I don't miss out on some good driving days. That'll leave me with less to do when I drop the engine in a month or 2. The leak is VERY slight. I expected to get a wet finger of brake fluid when I swept it inside the cover but it was not wet at all in there which I find strange...? At 300 you must not have done the TO bearing...that's 300 alone. Have not checked to see if there's a cross reference part...but will. That's a lot for a bearing IMO. If that's the only route so be it but hoping there's an alternative.

10. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Are you feeling okay man???? You better get to the doctor and FAST! Because if you don't have time to make another post you must be sick. Get well soon.

:D

11. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Lol!! Was actually heading out to dinner and movies last night. :D:D

But I am feeling better today thankyou. ;);)

12. MarkJ

MarkJ Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    NW Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    Now that you mention it, yeah, I'd like you to do all the dirty work first! ;0) No, actually I think that working on it would be half the fun. (Maybe only 1/3 the fun, but still fun.)

I'm wondering, since your major is just a few months away, would it do any harm to drive it with a slight TO bearing leak. I wouldn't think it would hurt as long as the leak was minor, but I'm no expert. Then you could still enjoy the fall driving season (the best time of the year IMO), and then really get into it this winter.

The gift card hasn't arrived yet, but today is a holiday so no mail delivery. I'll let you know when it arrives.

13. markgllc

markgllc Karting

Dec 25, 2008
    Fairborn, OH
    I removed the inspection plate and it wasn't all wet in there as I expected and the fluid level hasn't gone down any that I can tell. It's literally just a few drops after I park it and just started so I agree with you...it probably can't do all that much more than it's done already. Hope it's not all over the clutch linings but not feeling any difference. I may wait until the major but it's such an easy fix and I can do trip seals when I'm in there and look for any signs of flywheel leakage so I may not wait. The way my exhaust is put on (it's a custom setup) all I have to do is unbolt the 3 bolt flange where the muffler meets the cats on each side and drop the support. After that the pumpkin is relatively "easy" so they say to remove. Getting it lined back up and back on is the tricky part and then you gotta bleed the clutch which isn't a walk in the park but doable...just takes time working all the air out.

I discovered the air flap in the air box isn't working...stays down. I can hear the motor trying but I think the flap and the motor have become disconnected internally. The flap draws outside air from the hood vent and I don't want that so I made the flap closed so I could get the AC colder. While working on the flap I lifted up the cover of the front compartment and found a bunch of stuff I didn't know was there. On the right side there is a computer of some kind and some relays and fuses. I found 2 blown fuses and replaced them but don't know what they do or what that computer controls. I also found the AC charge nipples under there. The fuses have not blown again so that's good but I need to research what all that stuff is. I only knew about the 2 ECU's behind the seats. You are right though, working on it is part of the fun. The more you can learn about the car the better off you are.

Card should be there tomorrow I guess...thanks again, MarkG

14. notbostrom

notbostrom Formula Junior

May 8, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Ben
    The only risk is the seal fails and you have NO clutch pedal and get stranded

15. markgllc

markgllc Karting

Dec 25, 2008
    Fairborn, OH
    Well there is that show stopper...thanks for reminding me. LOL . I think I'm parked until I deal with it. One push of the pedal and it can all change huh...? It's leaking so something isn't doing it's job...only a matter of time.

16. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

1) The big electrical connectors in the front trunk near the passenger side are the ABS connections.

2) There are supposed to be empty sockets up there -- they are used for diagnostic purposes.

3) The big 30a fuse inline fuse is the one that many 348'ers have replaced with an glass fuse, and it seems far more robust and keeps the A/C running.

4) If your AC flap isn't working, first make sure the flap didn't break off and is sitting on the bottom of your evap box. Mine was found in there. The pin on the AC recirc motor is very prone to failure. The folks at Hill Engineering made a replacement Ferrari part for the pin, and we carry it at Ricambi America: http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?products_id=261210 Easy as pie to install.

I once duct taped my whole EVAP box shut, thinking I'd get better recirculation than with the flapper door. I was wrong... and just made a big mess in the process!

17. markgllc

markgllc Karting

Dec 25, 2008
    Fairborn, OH
    Thanks...so it's better if I leave the flap down? I didn't duct tape it...made a metal strip and bent it into an S the cover holds it in place. Easily removed. Since I can hear the flap motor you are probably right the pin has come out. I wasn't sure how/if the air box came a part and didn't want to take the cover off the compartment until I could research it. Many thanks for the other info...the big fuse was blown BTW. Could explain the AC not getting cold. It may just be low and not kicking on the compressor...I'll recharge it after the major. So what do all those relays do?

18. markgllc

markgllc Karting

Dec 25, 2008
    Fairborn, OH
    Thanks for the info...that pin is what I need alright. I'll order it...thanks again...MarkG

19. Chris Honeywell

Chris Honeywell Karting

Nov 11, 2007
    Trowbridge UK
    Full Name:
    Chris Honeywell
    That is exactly what could happen:(
    really want to get it sorted before you do too many more miles:)

20. markgllc

markgllc Karting

Dec 25, 2008
    Fairborn, OH
    I'm parked...have not taken it out since seeing the leak.

Glad I was paying attention and saw the leak but I do look for stuff like that...too many years of dealing with Italian cars. The bad part is my driveway was full and my neighbor is gone and I'm watching their house...when I got back from it's last drive, I pulled the 348 in their drive way until I could shuffle cars. That's when I saw the "spot" on their newly black topped driveway where my 348 embarrassed it's self. After I freaked out about the leak...I had to wash their driveway. It hadn't leaked a drop of anything until I parked it in their drive way...luckily no residual spot...they won't know.

21. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

"No Doubt" has a nice writeup of the fuses/relays here: http://www.my348.com/348.html#ABS