CV Boot leaking, boot & clamp intact | FerrariChat

CV Boot leaking, boot & clamp intact

Discussion in '308/328' started by FF8929, Sep 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    My 83 Mondial, RH, outside CV boot is throwing grease. The clamp is intact and the boot has no holes. The boot does slide inboard, a bit at the 6 o'clock position, then back outboard as it approaches 12 o'clock, as it turns. Ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. Paul308GTSi

Paul308GTSi Formula 3

Oct 26, 2008
    Queensland Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul D
    ...........weeeeeeeeeell something is failing.

I'd degrease the whole thing very carefully. Try to avoid pressure cleaners which may force water into the boot and joint. Get the flange, boot and axle really clean. Take it for a little drive and have another look. If the grease is coming out of the end at the axle you may just need a new clamp.

I had one die and it split right beside the clamp on the flange, it was very hard to find at first and the boot did seem fine.
    There are several threads on here about changing boots and CV's , , if that is what you need to do.

3. eurogt4

eurogt4 Karting

Apr 15, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It has to be leaking from the clamped opening at either end of the boot, or from the edge of the sheet metal flange at the large end, or a hard to detect pinhole in the rubber. After a close inspection with a good light shows that the rubber has no holes, and you are satisfied that the grease is not coming from the metal flange that the bolts go through, you can buy the boot clamp straps and tightening tool at most auto parts stores.

4. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    One of my boots had a pinhole in it, (possibly from the welding done to install a new muffler). Another boot had a tear, so i replaced all the boots.

I got the boots kits from All Ferrari Parts at a great price, but the band clamps seemed a bit light, so i found greAt stainless clamps and a really great tightening tool at Napa.

hth, chris

5. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    Thank you all. Opon closer inspection, I discovered that the inboard, RH boot is also leaking. Looks like I'll have to pull the half shaft, and, at least, put on new clamps. I loosened one bolt on both CV joints without any trouble, as they have been off before, so at least it won't be too bad.

6. Jet Lag

Jet Lag Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Robert Bangs
  7. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    Thanks for the link. The only $5.50 boot I see is 901-332-293-12-M60. Is that the right one?

8. Jet Lag

Jet Lag Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Robert Bangs
    #8 Jet Lag, Sep 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yep, that's it. Here's what it looks like on my '79 308GTS axle using Bandit stainless bands. Use a NAPA tool and punch a dimple, and they're on for good. I also changed the CV joints at the bottom of same page at the same time - $70.50 vs $ 228.00 from Ferrari (no, I am not joking).

good luck.

P.S. after you've greased the CV joints and put the axle back in, make your first run at night, cause you're going to through some excess grease on the exhaust, and people will give you dirty looks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    Now I'm starting to think that the boots, while new 8 years ago, may have become too stiff, and are transferring the flexing force to the sealing clamp area, instead of the bellows. Like many F-cars, it had not been driven much by the PO. I've ordered new boots & grease from Pelican. Thanks "Jet Lag".

Still wondering about those 3 rings/ridges though.