Half shaft orientation? | FerrariChat

Half shaft orientation?

Discussion in '308/328' started by FF8929, Sep 8, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    I pulled the RH half shaft out of my 83 Mondial this evening. Thank God the PO had them serviced. I'm embarrassed at how easily the bolts came loose. I noticed that the shaft has three annular rings at one end. Are these for orientation purposes? I see no illustration or mention of the rings in the WM or parts catalogue. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    CV joints don't need to be indexed as do u-joints but it never hurts to maintain the relative rotational consistency.

3. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    Yes, but what about end for end? Those rings must be there for a reason.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #4 Steve Magnusson, Sep 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If you are talking about the arc segments that have two holes, I think you should have 6 total on each half-shaft (12 total for the car). This jpeg from this thread (a good one for you to review IMO):

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78188

shows the hardware needed for each half-shaft. The arc segments help hold the sheet metal piece flat against the CV joint itself and help prevent the head of the bolt from digging into the sheetmetal part (and warping it) -- but no special orientations required.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Jet Lag

Jet Lag Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Robert Bangs
    washers on one end and not the other....??? I wondered about that when I changed mine. Is there a reason?

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, the additional washers are to make sure that the threaded ends of the bolts do not hit the ends of the studs protruding from the differential -- so they are only needed under the heads of the bolts on the inboard CV joint (although I can't recall if they are used on just one inboard CV joint or both inborad CV joints).

7. FF8929

FF8929 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2008
    Livonia, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Fred Flynn
    #7 FF8929, Sep 9, 2009
    No, that's not what I'm asking about. Here's a picture showing the ridges (highlighted with chalk) that are only at one end.

8. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    #8 Lawrence Coppari, Sep 9, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
    I've always reversed the half shafts on my Porsche after a couple of years of track use. My thinking is that it doubles the life. Essentially new CV joint surfaces come to bear.

I apply Loctite on the bolts after cleaning up the threads. I had a half shaft come off once at the transmission. Fortunately it was on an interstate and not on the track. Makes a wonderful sound whipping about under the car. It took a chunk out of the side of my tranny.

9. Jet Lag

Jet Lag Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Robert Bangs
    Thank you! .....
    I'll put them back in tonight;-)

10. Jet Lag

Jet Lag Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Robert Bangs
    #10 Jet Lag, Sep 10, 2009
    Steve: I want to thank you again for calling to my attention the need for those extra washers on the driver's side inside CV joints. I had too many projects going on at once, and lots of delays getting things put back together caused by unexpected things like a totally worn out bearing on the shaft that goes through the clutch/ pressure plate, a severely worn carrier for the clutch release bearing, and.... Anyway, by the time I got to putting the CV joints in 24 nuts and bolts and 6 washers didn't make much sense to me, so I thought the washers were from something else I was doing.

For those who need visuals (as I obviously do) here is the difference between having those extra washers in or not (yes I know I need to clean up the excess CV grease - tonight..)

Thanks again.

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No trouble -- glad to give you a little reminder. You did have a few there that looked pretty scary without the washers ;)