Santander Ferrari Sponsorship Announcement Thursday | FerrariChat

Santander Ferrari Sponsorship Announcement Thursday

Discussion in 'F1' started by jknight, Sep 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    To be announced Thursday, wonder what else, if anything, may accompany this announcement.

Carol

planet f1

Ferrari are on Thursday expected to unveil Santander as one of their title sponsors from next season.

Speculation has been rife in Formula One that the Spanish banking giant were ready to end their three-year association with McLaren and switch to Ferrari.

Santander initially teamed up with McLaren ahead of the 2007 season following double World Champion Fernando Alonso's decision to sign for the Woking-based team.

Alonso's move, however, turned sour and his contract was terminated after one season, but with Santander locked into their deal.

However, with that now coming to an end, Santander are to jump ship, further fuelling rumours Alonso will also soon join Ferrari.

The team have called a press conference for Thursday at Monza ahead of the Italian Grand Prix at which president Luca di Montezemolo and Emilio Botin, the president of the Bank of Santander, will both be present.

2. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    I think the other announcement is what people care about ;)

3. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    I think you're right but I don't think that announcement will occur tomorrow!

Carol

4. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

This really cements the Alonso deal. I'm thinking they keep Kimi around if Massa needs more time??

5. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    +1 If it wasn't clear by now this announcement makes obvious the Alonso move.

6. Jimi900

Jimi900 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    I would rather not have Alonso at Ferrari.

Jim

7. bjm

bjm Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Fairfield County, CT
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Yes, unfortunately.

8. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I agree about Alonso (pretty obvious) but I think KR will go to Nokia Renault (or wherever Nokia takes its money), assuming Renault doesn't get its azz handed to it by the FIA. So.....Alonso/Massa at the Scuderia.

Alonso isn't my favorite personality (does any of these guys even have one of those?) but I think he's still the quickest and has more desire than anybody else on the grid. I think he and Massa will make a good pair.

Jack.

9. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

There's still some ifs with Massa's return. It most likely won't be until he gets behind the wheel and shows he's back to form that they'll know he's in for sure. I'd imagine that if they're going to send Kimi walking they'll wait until the end of the season to announce it.

10. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm going here out on very thin ice:

Tomorrow Ferrari will announce its drivers for the 2010 season:

Massa - Kimi and Alonso

with Fisico as the test driver

Getting rid of Kimi will be too costly, so unless he leaves on his own, Ferrari will use 3 cars next season. I could be way wrong on this. Wouldn't be the first time I end up with egg on my face.

But quite frankly, who cares.
    As long as we have Alonso, life is good.

11. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Plausible I like it, but I reckon if were going out on a limb here, Kimi will be paid $35m NOT to race for Ferrari, plus being paid bonuses for any results that he achieves with whichever team he moves to in 2010, plus a bonus if Alonso wins the title... I read that ..;)

12. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Also another rumour : Mercedes-Benz wants to put Nico Rosberg into the team alongside Jenson Button to give German fans someone to get excited about.

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Heard that too.

The team being Brawn with 100% backing by Mercedes. The Brawns will be silver next year and "the other silver team" will loose its Mercedes support by the end of 2010.

Big changes coming. Or not. After all it is the silly season.

14. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Which Mercedes team? :)

15. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Read above Andreas answered it .. I told you to behave..;)

16. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Simultaneous posts.
    Button to Mercedes to replace Hamilton, now THERE'S a rumor;)

17. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Mercedes-Benz still owns a 40% share of McLaren, but this has proved to be not enough to control the business as there is a covenant between the other shareholders which means that Mercedes-Benz can be overruled. The suggestion is that Brawn will race next year in a silver livery, with Mercedes branding and a sponsorship deal from a German company.

Also Ironically, Aabar recently bought a 32% share in Virgin Galactic, one of Brawn’s sponsors this year. Virgin is not believed to be involved as it is expected to be named as a partner in Manor Grand Prix, which we expect to see renamed Virgin F1 in the months ahead.

And The suggestion is that Aabar will hold the Brawn stake until it can be passed on to Mercedes-Benz in 2012 after the German car manufacturer’s exclusive deal with McLaren comes to an end..there you have it Mr Dave.

18. Pitpass

Pitpass Karting

Apr 2, 2009
    Current rules won't allow a 3rd car.

19. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I don't see why there's such a rush to sign Alonso for 2010. It's not like Ferrari will lose him if they wait untill 2011. Where's he going to go? McLaren? LOL

20. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    And Frank has indicated he won't bend.

21. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Interesting scenario.
    Any chance MB's intent all along was to have its own team and used Ross Brawn as a straw to take over Honda's team knowing that their relationship with McLaren had soured over the road car? MB may have been providing Brawn funding this year under the table (as has been rumored) thus avoiding any long term sponsorship commitments that might have complicated the rebranding you suggest will happen.

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Frank will end up with no engines if Renault gets thrown out of F1. If Ferrari gives him an engine, he'd be gladly signing on the dotted line.

23. aquapuss

aquapuss Formula 3

Sep 18, 2005
    Well, well...given the way the Renault inquiry is heading with all the reported telemetry confirming that Piquet stuffed it on purpose after a team meeting where it was discussed to bring out the safety car (as admitted by Flav and Symonds) there is a chance that Alonso will not be driving for anyone next year.

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Nonsense. He drives for Ferrari. Basta.

25. aquapuss

aquapuss Formula 3

Sep 18, 2005
    Are you suggesting the direct beneficiary of the scam was completely unaware of it?