According to Montezemolo, the 348 is the worst Ferrari ever made | FerrariChat

According to Montezemolo, the 348 is the worst Ferrari ever made

Discussion in '348/355' started by angelis, Sep 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
  2. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    He obviously dosen't own one.

3. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    He did own one.

At the end of 1991, three years after Enzo's death, he was invited to return to Ferrari as chairman and CEO.

It's not widely recognized that di Montezemolo turned Ferrari around, and then some. Ferrari is such a sparkling name, and his burnishing of it has been so effective, it's been erased from folk memory that, when he arrived as chairman and CEO in 1991, the road car lineup had lost its way, the race team was going through an unprecedented lean patch, and the brand's finances were shaky.
    Luca Di Montezemolo
    Click to view Gallery

Di Montezemolo illustrates what happened with an anecdote. He'd finished the World Cup flushed with its success and decided to reward himself with a yellow Ferrari 348. But just after taking delivery, he was beaten away from the lights by a Fiat Strada hatchback-the hot Abarth version admittedly, but an indignity nonetheless.

"So, at my first meeting as Ferrari chairman, with the MD of our road car division, he asked, 'How is the 348? Fantastic?' I said, 'Listen, don't say this to me because I'm a customer.' I knew well the problems with the car, and I made a list of them."

He soon realized what he needed to do to revive the road-car division. "At that time, the company was less forward-looking than when Enzo Ferrari was there. In terms of road cars. The Testarossa, 348, Mondial-cars similar in architecture, mid-engined, very hard to get in and out of. The world was changing. A Golf GTI was as good in acceleration as a Ferrari 348.

4. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If that is the case, then I am one of the proudest owners of the worst Ferrari ever made :D:D:D

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    And I'm one of the worst owners of the best Ferrari. ;)

And proud of it.

Sort of.

6. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    I'm selling mine for a VW Golf GTi.

I heard the performance is similar, but the runing costs are way cheaper.

7. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    ............. great thread ...... :)!!!

8. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Lol!! Trust you Goth! :p:p

F*ck Luca Di Montezemolo and the horse he rode in on!! :eek::eek:

9. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    LMAO!!

10. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    He rode in on a 348. :eek:

11. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    lol...

12. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Yeah, well f*ck him anyways!! :D:D

13. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I doubt that anyone has really noticed, but I don't spend much time around here anymore... and THIS is exactly the reason why...

All this 348 bashing has gotten really old... and I like and respect Goth as a person and innovator, but quite frankly, my sense of humor about him taking every opportunity to slam my car is gone! Especially when he drives a modified version of the 348 with its own extensive laundry-list of problems and issues.

And now to hear the CEO of Ferrari bash on ANY of his company's products, present OR past is just despicable! I mean... who does that?!? What an azzhole!!

In 10 days, I will celebrate 2 years of 348 ownership, the car now has over 83K miles and has not had ONE mechanical failure or issue since i've had it. Every time I get in it, it starts right up and drives like a raped ape. I have not paid ONE DIME for any repairs or maintenance, except to have it lowered. I do all the maintenance myself.

I LOVE this car, its gorgeous, sexy and it gives me all the joys that anyone could want from a Ferrari ownership and driving experience... PERIOD!!

14. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    I feel your pain....so how do you feel about a Mondial T :D :) :|

we are even worse on the hate list....as evil step children go

15. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Goth only does it in good humour as I do with the 355. :D

I agree.

When I was first told this, I thought it was a joke. Wasn't until I saw the video and heard with my own ears that I believed it.

It was at that moment that all my respect for Ferrari disapeared. I've spent a lot of money with Ferrari over the years and to be told that my Ferari is teh worst one ever made pretty much pisses me off.

An azzhole of the higheste magnitude indeed.

+348

Now don't you go stealing our thunder.

:D

16. 348_Spiderman

348_Spiderman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Live and let live. Let's not bicker about who killed who (Monty Python's Holy Grail)

Hang on to those 348's fellas, we will have our time. Yes, we will have our time.

Was the 246 Dino not an unloved red headed step child at one point? Look at them know, there isn't a bloke around who wouldn't love to have one in their stable.

We have to keep in mind that most, if not all of the negativity was from well known issues from the early 348's which we all know were addressed.

Mark my words, there will come a time, it may not be in the next 5 years, heck, it may not be in the next 10 years, someone is going to realize that there aren't really that many around and people will be looking for them!

:)

17. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #17 AceMaster, Sep 14, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
    I agree totally, that is very unprofessional. You would think that he would point to the positives of the 348, after acknowledging that it did have its issues - or at least that is what a CEO of such a celebrated company SHOULD do

Again, I totally agree. The 348 is such a beautiful looking car - in my opinion it puts the word, or better yet, IS the word "Exotic" in the phrase "Exotic Car". I am not quite 1-year on ownership, but I can tell you that I have absolutely NO regrets

18. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    #18 gothspeed, Sep 14, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
    my sincere apologies Steve :( ........ I blame all 348/355 dissension on Sy ....... he is the ultimate instigator .... :( .................... of course I think the 348 is awesome ............. I would not make the best parts I possibly can for the 348 ...... if it wasn't great :) ........... heck the most tight knit group of f-car owners is the '348 brotherhood' ......... which against Sy's rabid objections ...... I am proud to be be an 'honorary' part of ..... :cool:

Summation: ..... Sy is the biggest enemy of the 348 and the collective 'brotherhood' ....... :mad:

19. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I know I know.... Oz, I love you man... think of it this way, if you knew somebody that you saw everyday, and he told you the same stupid joke everyday for 2 years... you'd want to kill him or run as far away as possible eventually.

I know you don't REALLY hate the 348, I realize you are the innovator of the best performance parts for them.. and you've probably spent as much time with Vince's car as your own.... but the joke is tired, and has run its course.

20. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    hehe, SEE, we are stepchildren [off to the 'mondial' corner, sniff]

21. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Well, since a Fiat-Abarth Strada 130TC has a 0-60 time of about 7.7 seconds, and the Ferrari 348 reaches the same speed about 2 seconds quicker, I would say that the esteemed Signor Montezemolo is either a very poor driver, or he made up the story.

22. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Excellent point Jeff...you are sharp!! :D

23. Saint Bastage

Saint Bastage F1 Rookie

Jun 1, 2007
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Lane
    #23 Saint Bastage, Sep 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've come to embrace the cheese grater comments. Not many Ferrari's out there that versatile. My 355 friend UConn Husky was kind enough to snap this shot of my car. I think the 348 did a fine job. Those cubes are consistent and well cut. OK...Cleaning the radiators sucked, but no machine is perfect.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    I agree.

From 1988 to 1992 I had a Golf Gti. The 0-60 was around 7.5 secs and in no way was it as fast as a 348.

After the Golf got stolen, I got a Porsche 994S2. That wasn't as fast as a 348 either.
    Ferrari shoudl be ashamed for what he said.

25. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I hope they aren't going to appreciate sharply in 10 years' time, as according to my "Big Plan" that's about the time I'll be seriously looking to buy one! :eek: So... um... anyone out there have a corresponding "Big Plan" to sell in about 10 years' time? :D

I do think it's a massively underrated car though; it's simply fantastic. If I was in a position to afford to buy and keep one well-maintained then I'd go out and get one right now. ;)

His powers of observation are impressive. :D

All the best,
    Andrew.