575M passenger airbag question | FerrariChat

575M passenger airbag question

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Dwilson, Sep 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dwilson

Dwilson Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Derek
    I would like to be able to drive my 5yr old in his booster seat and am not sure how to turn off the passenger airbag? There is nothing in the book on how to. On the control panel of the car there looks like a round button thats next to the passenger airbag light but the button does not depress. Does anyone know the what to do?

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #2 tazandjan, Sep 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Derek- According to the Workshop Manual, US and Canadian 575Ms were not fitted with the passenger airbag override capability.

Looking at the parts catalog, you might be able to retrofit the capability, but the parts alone are ~$1000, including a new ECU, resistor, switch, and key assembly. The system was turned off using a key. The parts separated above (15, 28, 29) in Ricambi's online catalog would need to be added, as well as changing the ECU (10).

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?products_id=277496

Taz
    Terry Phillips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Dwilson

Dwilson Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Derek
    That is quite the detailed reply.

4. jay575

jay575 Karting

Jul 29, 2009
    St. George Utah
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Mine has remained dark and has never, ever, lit up no matter what the weight on the seat. It's just always operational and can't be turned off. Kinda like that fog light button that doesn't do anything over here either.

Jay

5. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    #5 fou, Sep 17, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
    It was an option that could be ordered I believe. Check your manuals in the leather pouch. I have no idea as to what the restrictions are on the various world markets for the OEM. There is a NoVa guy who had the option installed aftermarket on his 575 about a year or two ago. I think he said it cost $500. He used www.airbagonoff.com and was very pleased with the result. http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155134&highlight=airbag

6. LarryF

LarryF Karting

May 28, 2008
    I asked my dealership and they told me that MY '04 was the last year it was an option and they would not retrofit mine with the 04 kit so the above option looks to be it for MY05.

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #7 tazandjan, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
    That installation looks pretty professional and since the switch is in the glovebox, it is invisible. The round button on the right of the airbag is where the OEM airbag switch was mounted.

Incidentally, as fou mentions, the parts catalog says optional for the switch. The actual option for "Passenger Airbag Deactivation Kit" was coded OFFP. It was optional on UK 575Ms, including the 2005 UK models, at approximately 300 pounds, but I have no idea of the price on US models. It was not listed as an option on Euro 575Ms in 2004 on the lists I have.

I do not have complete option lists for US 575Ms, only partial ones. If someone has complete option lists, please post them in the 575M/SA Assembly Number and VIN thread.

No idea why the WSM says they were not available on US/CDN 575Ms, but the WSM was written in late 2001/early 2002, so who knows? The WSM was also written before the five year cam belts were introduced. All the OMs say the switch was optional, and they were writtne at the same time. Very little difference between the 2002 and 2005 OMs.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

8. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    If you look in the Carrozzeria Scaglietti options manual that came with the original owners package,(page 19) it describes the entire unit. The factory key switch is actually located between the side of the dash and the door. It is only operational while the passenger door is open. The light on the console is for status only and not part of the on/off mechanism. I have seen them on various US cars at events over the years.

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    fou- Thanks for the information. That options manual is missing from my OM packet.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

10. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    Can the passenger side airbag be shut off with the SD3?

11. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    Not sure, but willing to bet any shop with an SD3 would not do it for liability reasons. Not only for a possible law suit in case of accident, but being in violation of the NTSB regs. That being said, I am sure there are a few private individuals on this forum who may own SD equipment willing to do it if possible for all I know.

12. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    may be a bit off topic, but is there just a way to deactivate all the airbags, via sensor or whatever.

Personally, older Ferraris pose more serious dangers with/without airbags, and thinking nothing would be seriously lost for the typical jaunt in the 12 cylinder models.

13. fou

fou Formula 3

Feb 1, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Full Name:
    Call me the breeze
    Well, fuse F45 controls the airbag ecu. I suppose you could just pull it and put black tape over the code window that will light up. Nothing I would recommend. Hell, it is only $500 bucks to do it right. Sometimes the way Ferrari owners are willing to find the cheap way out amazes me :)

14. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    shuks, beats my hammer approach......However, thinking can get a cut off for less than $500....better yet, save a few grand and buy a 456