348 Headers and Carbon Air Box | FerrariChat

348 Headers and Carbon Air Box

Discussion in '348/355' started by captglen, Sep 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    #1 captglen, Sep 20, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
    Hello All,
    I was talking to Joe at Fabspeed and he mentioned he would be intersted in making Headers and a Carbon Fiber Air Box for a 348. Would anyone have any interest and are there any issues with the 348 stock Ferrari Headers ??

Are there any items out there that are not being reproduced that anyone thinks would be a big improvement on what is avaiable ??

Any opinions ???
    If I get a good response, Joe might do it

His website is www.fabspeed.com if you want to check out what he does presently.

He does support this site

Thanks
    captglen

2. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry

3. captglen

captglen Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2007
    West Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Glenn L.
    I will talk to Joe and see what he says

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I can't imagine what headers would bring to the table. There is so little failure of the stock ones, and they actually flow pretty well as is.

In terms of airbox, I think the goal should be proper heat insulation instead of making something that just looks nice and 'carbon'.. Unlike 360 airboxes, the 348 ones will get soaking wet and carbon may be more likely to fade and discolor if not really well sealed.

5. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Daniel,

you are right , how HP increase versus cost would be gained. Also, there is a need to mod the airbox and tubes if for nothing more than cosmetics. CF box with stainless steel tubes would be very nice. And give it a more modern look.

6. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    #6 vvassallo, Sep 21, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
    Keep stock headers. Switch to a single can muffler, such as the gothspeed version, and you will drop heat load under the airbox by a huge amount. A CF airbox would be safe in this case.

Really the big problem with our 348 air intake system is (1) all the bending the flow does through (2) narrow tubes that (3) enter the sides of the upper plenums compared to the 355. The 1995 355 design is pure and true. One 90 degree bend from the supply hoses to the air box then straight on through through to the MAFs and plenums to the TBs. The 360 and 430 are even better with single TB's per bank behind the MAFs.

Someone should come up with a redesign for the 348... ;)

7. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    +1000 ............ the 348 headers are well designed and give good all around power ....... most aftermarket headers are unshielded and go to a 4-1 collector, which adds hi RPM power, but usually at the expense of low to mid RPMs. Seeing as how the 348 redline is sub 8k RPM ....... it would not be worth the trouble or expense .......... unless you are racing a circuit with ultra long straights and have retuned/optimised the cams and ECU for well over 8k RPM.

+8749 ......... the 1995 F355 is really the way to go ............. :cool:

8. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    And if heat insulation is not used then it might not be a bad idea to have at least the bottom half of the 348/355 airbox(es) in reflective silver or ceramic coated. Black must be the worst color in this situation.

9. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Agreed. Interestingly, much of the 348 intake tube runs along the top-side of the muffler heat shields, so (on some level) perhaps Ferrari engineers considered that too. If so, it would make sense to NOT remove the muffler heat shields for 'see my shiny muffler' purposes.

10. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Any updates on the progress of these potential items? CF Airbox or intake tubes?