1977 Ferrari Dino 308 GT-4 | FerrariChat

1977 Ferrari Dino 308 GT-4

Discussion in '308/328' started by NitroHonda, Sep 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NitroHonda

NitroHonda Rookie

Sep 23, 2009
    Pflugerville, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike Keathley
    We're on the cusp of purchasing a 1977 Ferrari Dino 308 GT-4. We'd like to get as much information as we can regarding the car. Specifically personal experiences with the car rather than reading the magazines.

This car is in very very good condition. Clutch rebuilt, Engine rebuilt in 1994 at 70k (car now has 81k). New wires, belts (timing as well), and hoses among other services done to it. They're asking 21,950. It's in New York and we're in Houston, TX so we'd be driving it back (looking into transportation services but don't know how much those cost) We enjoy driving our cars back home after purchasing them anyway. We've done this twice already but we're a little itchy about the Ferrari. Maybe it'd be best for us to consider shipping it?

What can you, on the board, tell me about this car? Do you guys have any negatives to watch out for or any positives about the car?

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Greetings and welcome.

By any chance do you have the 5 digit serial number of the car? The Ferrari world is very small, and it may be that someone here knows of the car or may have owned it before.

I can say that in this world 81,000 miles is considered -very- high mileage, and may impact your ability to sell it later. In no way am I saying don't purchase the car, but be aware that a majority of these cars simply aren't driven often and so don't rack up the miles. Buyers always seem to want lower mileage cars, so there you go...

I have a 328, so I can't speak directly to the GT4, but there are plenty of owners on here who will speak up in a moment.

3. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Welcome!

There are plenty of guys here with that model, just do a search on that model and PM some of the owners to get thier direct feedback, although I am sure some of them will chime in shortly. Most of us on the board really like them.

MB

4. NitroHonda

NitroHonda Rookie

Sep 23, 2009
    Pflugerville, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike Keathley
    The VIN is 13928. The car is at Cannillo Motorsports in Long Island.

5. NitroHonda

NitroHonda Rookie

Sep 23, 2009
    Pflugerville, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike Keathley
    Absolutely understood. We don't care too much about resale. We fully intend to drive this car. We're not going to park it in a garage and leave it there. We're going to enjoy it.

That being said... what about the rebuild at 70k? I once read that they generally need to be rebuilt every 60-70k miles or so.

6. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #6 Doug, Sep 23, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
    Fly and drive! No better way to get to know the car and any issues that it may need addressed. $21k with 11k on rebuild(as long as it's documented) and all recent services. As a beater needing everything addressed they still fetch in the mid teens. As long as it checks out as a drive, go for it. Just looked at the pics...front spoiler looks a little funky on a GT4, but interior looks good and all the services have been done. They are neat cars. Go for it.

7. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  8. NitroHonda

NitroHonda Rookie

Sep 23, 2009
    Pflugerville, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike Keathley
    Wow. I'll be trying to get in touch with him. Thank you SO much!

I still would like for others to throw in their thoughts on this particular model.

9. NitroHonda

NitroHonda Rookie

Sep 23, 2009
    Pflugerville, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike Keathley
    I don't seem to have the PM function. Maybe my account needs more posts?

10. tommott77

tommott77 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If you go into his profiles and go under 'statistics' you can look up and read all of his posts. More than likely there will be some juicy tidbits about the car.

11. NitroHonda

NitroHonda Rookie

Sep 23, 2009
    Pflugerville, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike Keathley
    I read all of his posts. A couple of them have me a little wary. I really want to talk to this fellow. Did a facebook search for him and am trying to contact him.

I just hate dealing with dealers and all that. Try and remove the middle man.

12. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    FYI, That car has been for sale at Canillo for a LONG time.....

FWIW, YMMV!

JIM

13. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I would not be concerned with the miles if you plan to drive it. My car has 83k miles now and just dont care. They are great cars so long as they have been taken care of properly. As far as driving the vehicle that distance, if the car is in the shape they are saying it is in, then no worries at all. A good 308 in tip top shape can be driven anywhere with confidence. Nothing really goes wrong with these cars.

Keep on top of timing belt changes every 3-5 years and you are in good shape. Question: Who did the rebuild?

14. Jet Lag

Jet Lag Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Robert Bangs
    +1 on the don't mind the miles if you're going to drive it. My odometer says 92,000 and the spedo only worked half the time for 5 years so I'm guessing 100K+; runs great. When it needs work do it or have it done, and enjoy

15. NitroHonda

NitroHonda Rookie

Sep 23, 2009
    Pflugerville, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike Keathley
    #15 NitroHonda, Sep 24, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
    What does YMMY mean?

What do you mean by it's been on sale for a long time. Is that something that I should be concerned about? We've had experience with Mike Cannillo. We purchased a Porsche from him about a year ago and it's been a great car.

16. NitroHonda

NitroHonda Rookie

Sep 23, 2009
    Pflugerville, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike Keathley
  17. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    For What' It's Worth, Your Mileage May Vary.

18. Douglas Coley

Douglas Coley Karting

Dec 19, 2007
    Western NC
    Full Name:
    Douglas Scott Coley
    First I want to say Mike Cannillo is a great dealer and a straight shooter. I owned this car for a short time and learned allot about it quickly because it had several issues I had to deal with. This Dino is a beautiful car and very fast when running. I should hope Mike has gotten these issues all ironed out. I will PM you as well.

19. NitroHonda

NitroHonda Rookie

Sep 23, 2009
    Pflugerville, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike Keathley
    Bill Pollard of SportAuto in Connecticut. Link to ad posted by Red 328.

20. NitroHonda

NitroHonda Rookie

Sep 23, 2009
    Pflugerville, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike Keathley
    We've had a positive experience with Mike Cannillo in the past. We'll be calling you today. Thanks for the PM!

Props to Tillman for bringing us to Scott!!

21. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    pm sent to you Nitro

22. NitroHonda

NitroHonda Rookie

Sep 23, 2009
    Pflugerville, TX
    Full Name: