Ask a guy at Singapore F-1 GP**Spoilers** | FerrariChat

Ask a guy at Singapore F-1 GP**Spoilers**

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Sep 25, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Hey Guys:

I just returned from 2nd practice here at Singapore. Very hot and humid (I can't understand how the drivers can stand it.

I'm 2 rows up in Turn one at the end of the first straight. I'm so close, I can smell them. If you want to know what it smells like, if any of you have replaced the gearbox oil, that's the smell.

Sorry my camera is malfunctioning so no pics today. I'll get it sorted tomorrow.

Tomorrow there are two support races: Aston Martins and Porsches. Should be really interesting.

This is for anyone who wants to ask a question outside the event or things not covered, let me know and I'll try to answer.

So, if you want to know anything in particular that you cant's see on TV, I'm the answer guy (as best I can).

Here's a sample question: Which car is loudest? As far as I can tell, the Red Bull has the loudest sound. The Ferrari is actually the least.

2. SlvSurfer

SlvSurfer Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2005
    Monaco/Canada
  3. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    What have they done with the ING logos on the Renault cars and uniforms?

>8^)
    ER

4. Pitpass

Pitpass Karting

Apr 2, 2009
    Take plenty of pictures of the grid girls for us.

5. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    And Grosjean proves that Nelson Jr's spin can happen accidently in same turn? Or was that ordered to help Flavio make a point in court when he denies the team orders to crash?

6. SlvSurfer

SlvSurfer Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2005
    Monaco/Canada
    They took them off, it just says Renault now.

7. aquapuss

aquapuss Formula 3

Sep 18, 2005
    Which driver has the woman with the biggest tits?

8. dinogt4guy

dinogt4guy F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2004
    Hewitt, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Kurtis Fordice
    The cars or the drivers? :D

9. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    As opposed to NASCAR, where one would ask "which driver has the biggest tits?"

10. Pitpass

Pitpass Karting

Apr 2, 2009

That would probably be Tony Stewart. There are quite a few hot wives in the NASCAR scene though.

11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    that might be hambones girl actually... she has pretty big fun bags.

Q: Are the girls over there as hot as my TV tells me?

12. Modeler

Modeler F1 Veteran

May 19, 2008
    State of confusion
    Full Name:
    a.n.other
    Looked at the local papers?

Any coverage of "crashgate" in their local press?

I'm curious how the party feels about it and that should be reflected in how their press deals with it.

13. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    how much were your tickets and how far in advance did you purchase them. have you walked around the track to see if there are better seats. is there any access to the drivers or pits. where are you staying. how far from the track is it. where are the teams staying. are there any sponsored street parties.

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Replaced them with Renault. But, there are ING logos around the track.

I wondered the same thing about how quickly it could be done. They must have done it here in Sinagapore unless they had prior knowledge before the announcement.

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My camera battery is flat but I'll try to get that sorted out today. I will say that the scenery here is outstanding.

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    They are not hiding from it. There is a big photo on page one of Grosjeans Crash with the title "Deja Vu" and then a discussion about Renault losing sponsorship

The sports page has on top "Fallout: How Crashgate still haunts Renault as Sponsors pull out and driver crashes" -- the reference to Grosjeans crash again.

You can tell that Button is the local favorite. Being the leader in points helps but there is still a connection here with the UK it seems.

17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #17 TheMayor, Sep 25, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
    d
    Tickets were extremely expensive. I think I paid like $750 USD for the weekend. I am sure there are better seats than what I have. One problem is that you're so low, you're looking through a chain link fence. My feeling is that this corner will have a lot of passing in the race. I can't wait to see the Astons and Porsches go through it in mass (or mess!).

I bought the tickets online. They sent them to my office in LA by international courier. They came in a really nice box with three hang tags for each day. I bought them a while back. I forget exactly but it was about a week or two before Massa's accident I think. Too bad because he was the guy I wanted to see race here again.

I am staying at the Pan Pacific, which is an excellent hotel. The track runs next to it. I have about a 30 minute walk to my section but it's not bad. This area is like their downtown. The track lights are really beautiful.

I don't know where the teams are staying. There are many hotels around the track. I can see a lot of people in the hotel with what look to be official badges but I don't think there with the teams.

Yes, there are some sponsored street parties. They were going on until about 12:30 last night. There are a lot of activities and concerts planned from the schedule. One I will avoid is the Backstreet Boys concert!

Downstairs in my lobby Alfa provided a beautiful red metallic 8C. What a gorgous color and the paint is perfect.

I can see down in to the pits, albeit far away. I can see the cars accelerate out of the pit lane. To me, it looks extremely dangerous as you enter almost directly into the driving line of Turn 3. Between turn 2 and 3 they get going pretty fast. Turn 3 is more like a hairpin.

There are 3 big screen TV's so you can see exactly what the broadcast is. But, the noise drowns out any commentary. When 3 cars go through the same corner, it's absolutely deafening.

I have not walked the track yet. I got to my seat about 15 minutes before the 2nd session started. It's hot here so walking the track is not the most pleasant thing to do!

One other thing... the pace cars REALLY MOVE. These guys are flying in those Mercedes sedans. They seem to be going as fast as the car will let them. They have no mufflers and it's interesting to hear the AMG V-12's going with no exhaust.

18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Oh My!! The conspiracy theorists will have a ball with that one!

19. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    On SPEED they speculated that ING had multiple sponsorship contracts with Renault. The one that had space on the car was canceled imediatley other contracts with different branding (uniforms etc.) may take longer to quit.

20. eklover

eklover Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2006
    From AK, now in CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Have you seen any celebrities around?

Have you gotten any autographs?

21. Sareve

Sareve F1 Rookie

Oct 23, 2007
    Singapore/Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Wow! Alfa 8C at the Pan Pacific? I'll be going there later to perv at it! You should come meet up with the Singaporean Fchatters while you're in town :)

22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    No celebs so far. I know Mika is here and Jackie Stewart but haven't seen them. Don't know about Hollywood types. Who cares?

23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #23 TheMayor, Sep 26, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
    Cool! Where are you guys? I just saw a flat red F430 spider at the mall across from me. I assume it's one of you guys?

24. Sareve

Sareve F1 Rookie

Oct 23, 2007
    Singapore/Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    At the launch party of the new official Ferrari dealership, look for us in the Singapore thread in the Asia section!

25. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    They say the race is 'sold out'. Does it look that way from what you can see?
    CH