Is This Testarossa Rare or a Hack? Pics | FerrariChat

Is This Testarossa Rare or a Hack? Pics

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Hawaii, Oct 1, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    #1 Hawaii, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi guys
    Need some advice. Found this 85 Testarossa with 55k kilometers on it with a targa conversion by maybe "EBR"?? It appears to use a black 308 top and it folds in half and goes in the front boot. It has a ratty interior and a few door dings and garage rash. Has the early metric wheels & High mirror. The owner told me it got a engine out service with belts, tensioners & water pump and clutch about 500 miles and one yr ago but it is very ratty and currently has problems starting cold or hot and shutting off once or twice while driving. The starter won't make any noise on some of the bad starts so they rigged a momentary switch to by pass everything and go direct to the starter as a trouble shooting techique. That seems to help but then some times the starter will engage and turn but the car won't light off. He thinks it's the ignition switch itself. Also there is a oil leak coming from what appears to be the oil tank on the left rear shock area. I will attempt to post pictures. Please tell me what you think it it worth. Is this a european gray market car??
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    #2 Hawaii, Oct 1, 2009
  3. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    #3 Hawaii, Oct 1, 2009
  4. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    #4 Mr.Chairman, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
    Got alot of problems here... She is very ratty... I say walk away... Its unfortunate.. i dont like the targe top either... What you took pictures of are the pre cats and they look to be normal.. The oil leak would be a big concern... Also the running issue.. If no receipt for the major then assume it has not been done.. Wiring could also be an issue.. These cars have fuse board and wire problems but it could be a number of things.. The bad part is that someone went and started re-routing wires and rigging things to work.. not a good thing.. It makes it very difficult to properly diag... I would think the wire harness rigging would need to be reversed and returned to factory schematic.. then you can diag start and run issues properly.. What is the price? I would not pay more than 20K for her.. and even at that price it could get crazy unless you really know the car and plan on doing things yourself.. We did not even get to the body rash yet.. Make that 15 - 20 k.. Sad to say. Just to many issues..

R

5. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Seems to be a Euro model. Check the speedo. Are the larger numbers in KM/ph and miles on the inside. First giveaway except for the euro front lenses.

6. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Decoding the VIN number confirms that it was a Euro model with three poit inertia reel seat belts.

7. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    Plugs in the pipes are sampling plugs for factory tuning. Standard on non CAT Euro and UK models.

8. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    What's with the console alongside the drivers seat?

It appears to have beeen modified and the release for the front and rear hatches seem to be sitting side by side in the forward part of this floor console?

9. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    It's got drilled aluminum pedals! I say go for it!;)

10. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    And the very rare faux sheepskin seat covers!

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Do we not worry abouth the strength of the "drivercabin" since the connection is lost between front and rear ?

12. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    This was my first thought. :eek: But, having been in a serious crash once in my life, I'm a little paranoid about car safety (and convertibles) in general. I suspect without the roof supporting the windscreen it would collapse without additional strengthening in the event of a roll-over.

Add to that, this must introduce quite a lot of flexibility into the chassis. I'd be very wary of this car... but I'm hardly an 'expert' in these things. :eek:

All the best,
    Andrew.

13. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    How much is he asking for this car?

14. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    On a serious note, I've always thought that TRs look great in yellow.
    To me, the fact that it's a targa makes it more interesting, especially as an additional stablemate, but the main issue is the electrico-mechanical red herrings of the car.
    Truly, depending on selling price, this is something a knowlegeable gearhead can have fun bringing up to reliablity. [Hawaii, I believe you are a helicopter technician, yes?]

15. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    It appears so. Those are the "long" euro headers (not US precats) in your picture. It would be very difficult to add regular cats and keep the stock euro muffler (so since you say it has the "stock" muffler, it probably doesn't have regular cats either).

Have to agree with Robbie that the only $ value as-is is in the body panels.

16. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    #16 parkerfe, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
    I like the targa on a TR. Ask for the major service receipt and go talk to the one that did it... TRs have a solid drive train and the oil leak and hard starting issue may be a simple-inexpensive fix. Have the seller carry the car to a competent Ferrari mechanic for a PPI and diagnosis. Then negotiate for the best price with needed repairs and/or service included. I bet that f12 sounds great from the driver's seat with the top off.

17. t3thomas

t3thomas Formula Junior

May 9, 2008
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    GThomas
    Buy it for $16k and insure it for its replacement value of $60k. Drive the dickens out of it and hope it catches fire (it probably will before too long with all that squirrely wiring). When it does catch fire, be sure to let it get to a nice burn before calling the FD. Collect the policy and buy yourself a nice TR.

Screw the targa top. The rain gutters make it look like it was done w/ tin snips.

18. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    It would a fun project car as long as you are interested in getting your hands really dirty!

19. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    #19 Hawaii, Oct 1, 2009
    Thanks for all the replies. Been a while since I've been on the chat. If you remember I had a black 91 with black wheels and sold it a while back....big mistake! I miss the car and found this one. As far as cost... it's a straight trade for a red 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 convertible w/ 25k miles and a factory warranty. 520hp 6speed. Fastest car I've ever driven.
    I'll have to find out about chassis reinforcing done..service records and possibly making a deal with the starting issues worked out...then it will be the oil tank leak, and cosmetics slowly?
    biggest problem to me is trading a perfect car for a car that could plague me with problems. On the good side ...it's a Testarossa! Anybody else up for a trade??

20. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    I haven't heard it run yet. Must sound pretty good with out the cat huh?

21. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    #21 Hawaii, Oct 1, 2009
    Good eye. kinda weird..unknown why that had to be redone.

22. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    Big numbers are in MPH.....Is this car old enough in California that you don't need a smog test? 1985

23. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    55k....ROLMAO....it has 255K....no way that can have 55.

Regardless, some had a great idea...buy it for 16K, insure it 60K and drive it till it burns, which should only take about 20 minutes in some stop and go traffic....

another one bites the dust...what does this make in the tr count now ? under 6,000 units ?

24. Hawaii

Hawaii Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Emery
    #24 Hawaii, Oct 1, 2009
    55,ooo kilometers (34,000 miles??)

25. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    yeah...sure....someone forgot to add the 2 infront of that.