One Mile Run, tips for best performance ? | FerrariChat

One Mile Run, tips for best performance ?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by WILLIAM H, Oct 9, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #1 WILLIAM H, Oct 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just got into a 1 mile run at an airport here for Sunday

I've done 100s of track events & races but never a flat out 1 mile run

I'm running my 630 hp Corvette C6 Z06

Whats the best technique for achieving Max Velocity ?

How much tread do you need on your tires ?

Going to run 1 with C6R wing and I'll remove it for the next run

Any other tips ? Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    #2 TurboFreak650, Oct 9, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
    There are plenty guys on Corvetteforum that have specific experience with your car in the Mile that could give the best advice I'm sure.

You definitely don't want an overly aggressive air/fuel curve or timing map for the mile. Things that can last 1/4 mile may not make it another 3!! Wouldn't hurt to add a few gallons of race gas also just for cheap insurance (with a turbo car this would be mandatory!!) and to make life easier on your engine.

Also, top notch on-the-car wheel balancing and alignment with relatively new but heat cycled tires (either top shelf street tires like PS2s or road racing R-compounds, definitely not drag radials!) would be high on my list. None of the big HP guys I've seen run the mile attempted a true drag launch, it was more of a deliberate launch and fully into it once rolling since you don't want to hurt the clutch/rear end at the launch!! Better to check your wheel bearings out also and some guys use high speed tape for the hood and turn back the mirrors and even windshield wipers for the best Cd. The C6 Z06 definitely carries power all the way to the stock redline, so I wouldn't leave much on the table there!

Is your Vette 630 RWHP? What kind of speed are you expecting, high 180s, possibly 190s?

I'm interested in the mile myself, but I just haven't gotten around to it and am not quite sure if I want to go as fast as I could on a somewhat rough old airstrip as you typically encounter for these events!!!

3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    a good 60 foot time,
    fast shifts,
    don't spin the tires.

The fastest guys will use pre-warmed slicks.

Back out at the first hint of instability.

4. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Thanks, I'll just see what I can do my 1st time out there

Ive seen 150mph at the track w plenty more on tap, so I expect somewhere near 190

I'll have to see how much top speed the Wing knocks off

5. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Do you have a lot of track/strip to slow down or are you going to need to do some serious braking???
    If so, might be good to look at the brakes.
    Do you get to do a slow drive looking for pot holes, expansion strips or other "road conditions"?? You do definitely do not want to hit a pothole or bad bit of pavemnet at anything close to high speed.

Talk to the guys about tire pressures for your type of car/tire.

How is the weather, talk to the airport guys about cross winds???

Go to the bathroom before getting into the car :) And in a similar, snicker, vein, FIREPROOF undies aren't a bad idea either

best of luck,
    chris

6. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    #6 John B, Oct 10, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
    You should run higher tire pressures. I would think at least cold where you would come off hot on a track day, around 39 psi.
    You won't need the downforce from the wing, but the drag will slow you down a bit.
    Put a video in so we can see it!!

7. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I'd be very careful about that! You will easily gain 5-8 psi hot vs cold anyway and you will also experience tire growth at very high speeds.

8. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    Do you have any way to monitor the vehicle speed vs the tire speed?
    It would be interesting to see how much slip the tires are seeing.

9. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Just returned. It was ridiculously hot out there today and the event was very sketchy

They did not have ONE tent, not even for their own people. Not ONE porta potty, I felt sorry for the women, the guys were just taking care of business by the Swamp

I was nearly getting heat stroke. I waited FOUR HOURS before my 1st run. Crazy

Once I finally got out there on my 1st run I saw 168 w wing & slicks

2nd run without wing I saw 172 & slicks

3rd & last run I saw 172 WITH Wing

I probably could have seen 175 w the wing & road tires on the next pass but it was just too hot

10. chrisca

chrisca Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Nice runs! But, I'll bet that going down that runway is about 10% as exciting as running down the back straight at PBIR getting ready for turn 10.

I was there for about an hour then left...too hot...too sunny!!! Dec/Jan sure would have been a nicer time of the year for something like this.

11. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    The Texas Mile is a much, much more professionally run event. Also read about the Maxton Mile in North Carolina.

12. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Thats true, 150 at Moroso with a u turn coming up is a lot more exciting than 172 on the runway

13. monte patterson

monte patterson Karting

Feb 26, 2009
    maitland florida
    Full Name:
    LAMBOGUY
    Go to the track event at Daytona on November 13th-14th and 15th. You will get up to speed on the back stretch and the far turn leading onto the front stretch. It is a safe [?] track, you will get to test your driving skills and there is shade and a garage area available.
    It also has shopping close by for the ladies that would rather spend their time doing something non-automotive related.

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #14 BigTex, Oct 12, 2009
    I'll second this, we ran it and saw 134.397MPH....fun time..

15. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    #15 nthfinity, Oct 12, 2009
    the difference between people who are experts on the mile run, and everybody else is maybe 1-2mph max. Just have fun, and make sure you still have the front splitter there, as at speed the aero imbalance on the c6 z is noticeable.

16. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Back out at the first hint of instability.[/QUOTE]
    gently

17. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I just sent my app in. See u there

18. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    #18 John B, Oct 14, 2009
    You definately need higher pressures at sustained high speeds.
    Think about it. As the tire rotates, most of the time through the revolution centrifigal force is exerting an outward force on the tire. About 2500 G's at 200 mph. When a section is on the road, it is then supporting about 1/4 of the cars weight, say 850 lbs. So these forces are pushing and pulling on the tire each revolution. At 200 mph a 70" circumference tire is rotating about 50 times per second. Higher presure helps support the cars weight with less deformation so minimizes the "bending" the tire sidewall has to do 50 times per second.

See the attached warning sticker from a Ford GT.