Why are 348's so much more reliable than others ferraris | FerrariChat

Why are 348's so much more reliable than others ferraris

Discussion in '348/355' started by rskdsk, Oct 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rskdsk

rskdsk Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2006
    I am just curious ... I see alot of people with high milage on thier 348 ... and most have never had an issue ... so what gives. I have a buddy with 108k on his 348. We had a spirted drive today ... and his car is still just as fast as mine (and I have 56k). He has never had any issues either ... just services it every 10-15k. I know the 348 is "the worst ferrari", but it seems that it i very reliable

2. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Bad timing for this thread with 2 potentially ugly 348 engine failure threads in the past few days. Still hoping for the best Nightlife and Rebel banker!

Regardless, you can find many high mileage cars out there across all the v8 models. With proper maintenance many will be just fine. I'm at 44k on the 355 and hope to see many many more!

3. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    as my mechanic says, 348 owners seem to actually drive their cars. likely because there's not much depreciation for another 60,000 miles compared to the other models.

enjoy 'em, life's too short and uncertain not to

4. rimoore

rimoore Formula 3

Nov 18, 2004
    Island in Maine
    Full Name:
    Richard Moore
    348 motors are cheap. I got two extra :)

5. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    The more you drive your Ferrari the more reliable it is! :D:D

6. sambomydog

sambomydog Guest

May 23, 2009
    Is that 108K kilometers or 108K miles?
    My 355 has 94K miles on it with out problems. As PAP says the more you use it;)

7. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Im sure that is over 100K MILES! :D:D

There a few Fchatters here with over 100K miles on their Ferraris. :D:D

94K miles would be one of the highest milage 355's I have heard of around these parts also Sambo! :D:D

Dont be scared to post pics of your 355. We LOVE pics around here! :eek::eek:

8. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #8 finnerty, Oct 11, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
    ???

Funny... most folks in the Ferrari community would say the opposite -- "why are 348's so much LESS reliable than other Ferraris".

Even Ferrari admits to having many design flaws and "teething problems" with the 348 --- not their proudest moment :)

I have owned many variants of the V8 models, and I have never desired to go anywhere near 348 ownership --- I have enough dependents!

9. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I dont think 348 is any more or less reliable than any of the 308,328 even 355( once vales/header are addressed)

People dont drive them in fear of less of de-value. True, these car can be more finicky just like a supermodel but that doesnt mean you cant ride her like a race horse in fear of her losing her beauty, appeal or just plain ol' wearing her out.

A true stallion can handle it !

Most of those who have owned a 348 have nothing bad to say about it.

10. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #10 finnerty, Oct 11, 2009
    Almost any F-car can be reliable once it's been thoroughly sorted. It takes an awful lot to get an early 348 sorted ---- weak gearboxes, bad ECU's, faulty alternators, and many other electrical nightmares to iron out.

If you can find one that someone else has already dumped the money into --- great. If not, I would be prepared to have problems and expenses if you intend to drive it often.

11. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    Sush with that nonsense.... OK, so they wont tolerate side stepping the clutch pedal...

12. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #12 finnerty, Oct 11, 2009
    LOL ---- I'm trying to be "politically correct" :) I just happen to suck at it......!

God knows my F-cars are always on the rack, and I'm usually afraid to drive any of 'em farther than I care to walk :)

13. BeachBum

BeachBum Formula 3

My 348 is one of the most depenable cars ive ever owned. Sure ive had a few problems. After all it is a Ferrari. But the problems are minor and inexpensive to fix. When my alternator went out i pulled it myself took it to the alternator shop and reinstalled it. Total cost $125. In the 7 years ive owned her the total maintinence cost have been less than fixing the valve guide issure on a 355. The reason i dont get a newer F car is because i know i will never own another Ferrari that is such a pleasure to own. Of course having Eugenio do my service has alot to do with it.

14. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I was under the impression that it was cars that aren't driven often that encountered the most problems? If a car is driven, things tend to stay properly lubricated and the owner has a close enough relationship with his car to realise early on when a problem is developing - so it gets fixed before it become exacerbated and expensive.

All the best,
    Andrew.

15. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    TRUE.

But my point, which was intentionally snarky, was that "a car which is never driven will never breakdown" :)

16. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Oh....that's a good one!

Well, you can ride her till about 30....then it's all down hill and everything is starting to sag. :D

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

17. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I agree

18. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    My 355 has been very reliable compared to many other 348/355 or other Ferrari examples but understand they all share the same 'money eating' habits as boats and airplanes ........ if you stay on top of them and do regular/preventive maintenance, you will get better results than if you just drive/fly the piss out of it til something goes wrong.

So lets get some things straight here ..... ferraris are not 'reliable' when compared to normal cars ............ and 'reliability' should not be the first reason to select a model ........ I bought an F355 for the awesome driving 'experience' ............... not to help me get sleep ........... as was said earlier .......... there are plenty of '348 problem' threads to put that false sense of '348 security' to rest ....... these are used and too many times abused cars ........ no one is immune from the proverbial 'chopping block' ........... so if you're gonna have problems anyway ......... might as well have them on a faster, better looking and better sounding 355 ............... ;) ............... :D

19. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

#19 BLAMPEE, Oct 11, 2009
    I only have two pedals: A "Go Fast" pedal, and a "Stop Immediately" pedal. What is this "Clutch Pedal" of which you speak...?

20. rskdsk

rskdsk Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2006
    To answer the previous questions, his car is a 94 and it is indeed 108 miles. He has not had any major (or even minor)break down on the car

21. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Or get 12 cylinders for 550 and not break down! Just kidding. Actually, I have raced a 348 until I stuffed it about 10 years of track duty, I am racing a Z06 now. Both have been equally flawless demanding nothing more than routine maintenance, gas and oil. on the 348 I did an engine out belt service every year and my home made clutch is still with the new owner and lasted 10 years until I stuffed it. I think the key to making a race car last, which is different from winning races, is to make sure the rev limiter works, and drive 9/10ths to 10/10ths and try to keep it on the track. It is the occasional offs that bend wheels, destroy cv joints, hurt motors, rip oil lines, damage suspension etc. Keeping an engine stock maximizes engine longevity. More can be gained by driver training than another 100hp or a fancy suspension.

22. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    #22 vvassallo, Oct 11, 2009
    When I have a respected Ferrari mechanics telling me to buy a 348 due to the bullet proof engines and lower maintenance than other modern Ferraris, I listen. And so far, knock on wood, it has been true. I'd love a 355 but the headers and valves issues along with all those computers scare the crap out of me. And don't get me going on a 360 or a 430 or even the F1 models. Holy crap, talk about money pits! Nope, I'll spent my bucks on 348 upgrades instead of replacing the headers every 10K miles.

To me a Ferrari is a minimalist sports car, low and manly with no power anything, that sacrifices all modern automotive conveniences for performance and a arce car experience. The 348 is the absolute last Ferrari to grant this. After that we got way more technology, auto transmissions and power steering, etc. Sorry gel heads.

23. BLAMPEE

BLAMPEE Man Card Status: Never Issued

+355!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

24. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Replace factory headers with Tubi headers and it is a 1 time fix, not every 10,000 miles, find one with valve guides done, not that big of deal. Every Ferrari has its issues, none are cheap to run if serviced properly.

25. FandLcars

FandLcars F1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006
    Tempe, Az
    Full Name:
    Rick Schumm
    +0.97..... Deduct 0.03 for the power windows, power door locks, and power gas lid! :D