The 996 Turbo... | FerrariChat

The 996 Turbo...

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Tad Cody, Oct 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tad Cody

Tad Cody Formula 3

Sep 9, 2006
    Over here!
    Full Name:
    Take a guess...
    So I'm in a Subaru WRX right now, and this seems a much more reasonable next step than an F-car (well, I can either afford the car, or the maintenance, but not both) so what are the board members' experiences with the 996 turbo? It's much cheaper than either a 997 or 993, I understand the air/water cooled difference, and the headlight nuances, but what else to consider? Rear main seal is not an issue on the turbo cars, as in the n/a cars, right? what else?

Thanks in advance... no specific car in mind, just planning ahead.

-Tad

2. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    They are excellent cars, drive them slow and they feel like just a normal car, jump on them and they are very fast cars. With the AWD very forgiving, and a good everyday car. Not crazy about the quality of the interior and the exterior very understated compared to 993 Turbo, but for the money I don't think you can beat it.

3. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    My dad's had his 996TT cab for almost 5 years as his daily in the nice weather. It has approx 30k miles now and feels as it did when he got it. I love the car. It's exceptionally fast, handles VERY well (even though it, like all modern Porsches, understeers-- if you can believe that), and has not had ONE problem. My only gripe is the sound.

You can't go wrong with a Porsche Turbo...

4. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #5 LightGuy, Oct 18, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
    Bang for the buck very hard to beat.
    If you can score an X-50 optioned car so much the better; Big cred in the Porsche camp.
    And dont get a Tip. If you need a Tip to drive one just get a Lexus.
    These cars are pretty much bulletproof and have GT1 blocks.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think we have some OK Porsche resources here. Want me to just get rid of the Porsche forum here all together and point to rennlist?

6. MD911

MD911 Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2007
    No need to give up here. The specific nature of Rennlist makes that a valuable Porsche resource that this site can't compare to. Sure, many FC members also own Porsche's, but Rennlist and Pelican is Porsche specific and a huge asset. Just like some Rennlist and Pelican members own Ferrari's, but the Ferrari knowledge base on those sites isn't as strong as it is here.

7. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Naw, just make the SEARCH function icon larger instead. ;)

8. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I owned 2 (out of 39 porsche's), both were heavily moded, both were turned to RWD, both were a lot of fun, though I never liked the interior. They are good buys (change the diverter valves), and the varicam (if I remember what they called it), could be a pain if it was not adjusted right (used to get a slight jerk at around 4500rpm). Easy to mod, easy to maintain

9. Tad Cody

Tad Cody Formula 3

Sep 9, 2006
    Over here!
    Full Name:
    Take a guess...
    Thanks for all your responses confirming my suspicions... Much as I thought; I will check out rennlist as well.

I like modifying cars, as I have done extensively with my WRX and the Eclipse that preceded it, so good to know these cars are easy enough to modify and relatively bulletproof.

And mine will most certainly NOT be a tiptronic! 6-speed or nothing here... :)

Thanks again,

-Tad

10. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Internals on this GT1 block are said to be good for, get this, 700 HP ! Pity the clutch.Porsche X-50 option ($18,000) gives bigger K24 vs 16 turbos and larger intercoolers which gets you close to 600 with proper flashing and exhaust. There are of course more efficient/bigger turbos etc out there now but a depreciated X-50 car is a good find if basic modding is in your sights.
    Or you can get a fully modded car for pocket change more than a stocker but the history may be unknown and its more fun to roll your own.
    If you want the 700 you may need aftermarket turbos and intercoolers anyhow so X-50 not needed.
    Over 700 and you need connecting rods etc.

11. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
  12. MD911

MD911 Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2007
    They are very good bang for buck Porsche cars but it has to be said that they still aren't cheap to maintain/fix.

13. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Don't let these 993 airheads pull your chain. A 996 Turbo is a great car. Come on, you ***** out a car because you don't like the headlights?

Hey a member here has a 2001 GT3 for $26k in the ads. Wow, I thought Maranellos were the deal of the century, but this one wins for sure.

Dale

14. MD911

MD911 Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2007
    This one? http://ferrarichat.com/forum/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=2488

I don't think it's a true GT3...looks like a Carrera with a few GT3 bits. GT3's hold their value well. Regular water pumpers...not so much.

15. Tad Cody

Tad Cody Formula 3

Sep 9, 2006
    Over here!
    Full Name:
    Take a guess...
    Yep, I checked out the "GT3", and it's not, but looks the part.

In any case, I want the AWD version of the car one way or another...

Found a 996C4 for $22k the other day and almost tripped on my shoelaces on the way out the door, when I discovered it was a tiptronic. :(

Holding out for the right 6-speed, AWD, 996.

Thanks again for the replies.

-Tad

16. MD911

MD911 Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2007
    There are lots of 996's out there, take your time with the options/colour choice you want.

17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  18. MD911

MD911 Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2007
    That's average for used 996 prices. I've seen them for mid to high 20's CDN...which is $30K US. :)

Surfing the US sites you can look at 996's for low to mid 20's.....they won't be turbo's, GT3's or other special variants...but basic Carrera's have really dropped to below air cooled values (993).

19. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    While 996's are a great entry level bargain into the Porsche 911 world I compare the relationship between the normal 996 to the 996TT to be similar to the relationship between the Ferrari 328GTB and the 288GTO. Basically the same car. But different. ;)
    If you can swing the extra 10 to $15K, do it.

20. MD911

MD911 Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2007
    Very true.

21. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Before I leased the Cayman, I actually started out with the idea of getting a 996 TT. I used to have a 2002, and it would definitely run with any Ferraris.

But while kicking tires, I test drove a new Cayman with the PDK. Wow! Just one look, that's all it took.

Dale

22. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    AWD on sports cars should be against the law.

23. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I've been underwhelmed by the 996TT and 996. Even an optioned out 996TT is a cheap looking car, with the 993 and 997 both being much more desirable, and the latter a better performing car. I know, interior quality and styling shouldn't matter, but the cars already look like an old Toyota.

I would liken the 996 series to Ferrari's 360 -- overproduced, depreciation-prone and unlikely to age all that well in the styling department. But also a huge buy in terms of performance-per-dollar right now.

I don't agree with the 328 / 288 GTO comparison -- the difference between them is vast, and both are among the most desirable modern Ferraris made. I could absolutely see having one of each in my garage with zero redundancy. 328 for classic, open top Ferrari touring, GTO for speed and investment.

24. shawsan

shawsan Formula 3

Jul 2, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada