Great looking Spyder at Sheehan's | FerrariChat

Great looking Spyder at Sheehan's

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Wheels1, Oct 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #1 Wheels1, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's the history from the web site:-

1971 USA model Daytona Spyder S/N 14471. The 9th US Spyder built. Just finished a five–year body, paint, interior and mechanical restoration. Bare metal up in gorgeous Grigio Ferro Metallizzato 106–E–8 (Metallic Iron Grey) by Luke Grundin of Fort Lauderdale. All new red leather, new carpets and new “mouse fur” by Carol Cone Interiors. Full firewall–forward restoration by Steve Claassen, Tropical Sports Cars. Owners known from 1971 to present. Has a new high–dollar replica leather tool roll kit with all tools and the leather jack bag and jack. Correct Michelin XWX tires on 9” rear Borrani wires with 8” front Borranis. Fresh firewall–forward mechanical restoration. Runs and drives “as new”. 28,444 miles.

HistoryS/n 14471. Identified as 365 GTB/4 Spyder. Destinazione Chinetti, USA model. Assembly sequence no. 15, body no. 580. (H. Raab “Ferrari Serial Numbers Part I, 2nd ed”). Per factory records: Spyder No. 15; Destinazione Chinetti; Finizioni esterna blu Dino 106–A–72; Finizioni interna beige 3218; Particolarita n/a; Strumenti MG; Targa USA. Sept., 1971 build date. Engine number B1256.

1978, identified by Amerigo Manicardi as “Produzione Vettura Ferrari 365/Daytona Spyder” made in 1971, one of the first 50.

1978, 15 Nov., as per telex from Ferrari, identified as USA version 365 GTB/4 Spyder. 9th on list of 96 US 365 GTS/4.

1972, sold new to James Ettinger, Electric Regulator Corporation, Norwalk, CT, as per Luigi Chinetti Motors records.

1982, offered in the Ferrari Market Letter issue # 0724 by Bob Sharp Ferrari, Danbury, CT. Dino blue metallic with beige interior. One owner, 18,500 miles.

1986, January, offered in Hemmings Motor News by Modena Imports, West Hollywood, CA.

1986, offered in the Ferrari Market Letter issue # 1126 by Mid–America Exotic Auto Sales, Overland Park, KS. Red with black interior. Borranis.

1987, owned by Marty Yacoobian, Los Angeles, CA.

1987, offered in the Ferrari Market Letter, issue # 1212, by Cole–Yacoobian Collection, North Hollywood, CA. Red with black interior. 20,800 miles.

1988, offered by Rick Cole Auction, Monterey, CA. High bid $750,000. No sale.

1989, offered in the Ferrari Market Letter, issue # 1402. by Rick Cole & Associates, North Hollywood, CA. Red with black interior. Borranis.

1989, offered by K. Bradford, Villanova, PA. Red with black & red interior. Borranis. 21,682 miles.

1989, September, offered in Hemmings Motor News by The Old Philadelphia Motor Company, Fort Washington, PA. Red with black & red leather. 21,000 actual miles from new. Sold new in California.

1990, offered in the Ferrari Market Letter, issue # 1503, by Jerry Bowes, Philadelphia, PA. Red with black & red interior. Low mileage. $1,450,000.

1993, offered in the Ferrari Market Letter, issue # 1807 by The Chequered Flag, Los Angeles, CA/USA. Red with black interior. Stunning. 22,000 miles.

1993, sold to current owner, Florida.

2000, 22 Jan., shown at Cavallino Ferrari Classic IX, Palm Beach, Florida, by current owner.

2003–2004, restoration started. Complete strip to bare metal and new paint by Luke Grundin of Fort Lauderdale, invoice approximately $24,000.

2004, all new leather interior and dash by Carol Cone Interiors, Fort Lauderdale, invoice approximately $11,000.

2005–2009, full 1,000 hour mechanical restoration from the firewall forward by Steve Claassen, Tropical Sports Cars, Fort Lauderdale, FL.. Engine–out and engine compartment fully detailed. Front suspension rebuilt. Heating and cooling system rebuilt. New heater blower motors, new heater valves, new air tubes, wiring harness and fuse and relay box detailed, brake master and booster rebuilt and replated. All new oil and water hoses. All wheels rebuilt by Cork Adams.

Engine rebuilt. Heads, valves, guides by Earl Gibb’s North Coast exotics, Cleveland, OH. Long block and accessories by Steve Claassen’s Tropical Sports Cars, Fort Lauderdale, FL. J&E pistons, all new clutch assembly. All components re–wrinkled or re–plated. All smog system rebuilt and in place. Work completed late Sept, 2009. Total invoice approximately $135,000.

2009, October, on consignment with Mike Sheehan’s www.Ferraris-online.com

Note: The above vehicle information is complete and accurate to the best of our knowledge at the time it is posted to this website. Corrections or additional information is always appreciated.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. maximilian.szwaj

Nov 10, 2003
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Maximilian Szwaj
    I hope I am not going to start a fight among the Daytona owners. Many Daytonas after restoration or repaint lose the 'feature definition line' or 'design line' - sharpness. Bondo and many layers of paint have this effect.
    I hope someone is going to correct me if I am wrong but in my opinion the crisp line on top of the front fender (front wing) should in front view go straight towards the indicator and not curve inward towards the corner of the headlight bucket.
    I wanted to bring this to the Daytonaregistry Forum but the pictures of this Spyder beautifully capture this topic.
    Looking forward to your comments.
    Max.

3. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    #3 IanB, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
    On my car the fender line does curve inwards above the indicator opening and (faintly) finishes about 1cm in from the corner the indicator opening. The shape of the nose however can easily trick the light in a photo to make the curve appear stronger or dissapear completely - just depends on the angle.

I note that the spyder above has had the front indicator lenses replaced, as the cavallino is missing from the circular reflector section.

4. BVC500

BVC500 Karting

Feb 26, 2008
    Washington, D.C.
    Looks nice, but why is the front, left bumper sitting lower than the right one?

5. maximilian.szwaj

Nov 10, 2003
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Maximilian Szwaj
    Ian,
    the topic on the fender line I am going to bring as a discussion point to the Registry. I will also supply some pictures.
    This should be a separate discussion post. Also, I think but could be wrong, some markets did not have the Cavallino on the indicators.
    Max.

6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Max
    I am not sure exactly what which part you mean. Also i am not sure if the Registry has the option to post photo's? i may be wrong as i usually am.
    Grant

7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    While the results are visually attractive they are not what the factory did the first time this Ferrari was built.
    CH

8. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Back when the Daytonas were current cars and not repainted I looked at lots of different cars checking the fender line termination above the turn signal. The 2 sides were different; one side splayed out at the end and the other side had a hook that then splayed.

Jeff

9. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #9 Wheels1, Oct 25, 2009
    Below is a pic from Tim Ropers car which had one of the last unused front clips [ none at Ferrari UK anymore], so this is original, bar some primer.
    It shows the line finishing somewhere near the edge of the bar between the indicator and the light pod, and it looks like it curves in as Ian said.
    So the Spyder looks pretty near to how it should be. All these old cars are going to be a little bit different.
    I guess the left bumper must have had a bash to put it out of line as i am sure it would not have left the restorers like that!
    Grant

10. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    You can post photos in the Daytona registry but you have to email the webmaster.

11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Body lines on a restored car will always be a fertile topic for conversation.
    On original Daytona models the fender crease is rounded and not sharp. The mistake seen in restoration is that it's done too sharp. At the front the crease of the fender does curve in but only slightly and ends before the headlight opening. While you might see a good number of restored cars with the sharp fender crease it is something that has been repeated on a number of restoration jobs rather than a factory characteristic.
    CH

12. ryankjb

ryankjb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Whether these lines are right or not, I still think this is a beautiful machine :)

13. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Gorgeous understated color! If I were in the Daytona spyder market this would be it.
    Though, I'd more likely buy a pretty 330GTS and, say, a 599 with the left over change.

14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I notice now the build date was September 1971. In that period the nose was factory painted silver to mimic the early plexi nose (covered headlight) Daytona models. The USA solution of pop-up headlights eventually put an end to the covered headlights in all markets. Though Euro market cars had that feature for a while longer; still in 1971.
    CH

15. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Interesting that it's a Sept 71 build date with number 580. According to the "Rimesso", my car, 14397, was built 7 Sept. It is number 559. So 21 jobs and 37 chassis numbers earlier.

Given that 3 weeks remained in September, they must have been assembling at least 7 cars per week.

Or were spyders built in separate batches and thus not entirely related to coupe production dates?

16. 101010

101010 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2008
    for a hair under $1MM asking, you'd think they'd make the front bumpers line up straight.

17. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #17 Wheels1, Oct 26, 2009
    Ian
    These are the only photo's i have found of the line, copyright Nathan Beehl.
    Grant

18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Scaglietti constructed the Daytona bodies too quickly it seems. To slow production every fourth coupe body was cut down to make a spyder. They started slowly as 14383 a spyder had a July '71 build date. A coupe with the #14481 also had a September build date. Both cars mentioned had the silver nose paint to. The bodies may not have been shipped out for finishing in the exact order they were produced.
    CH

19. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    If you look at the engine and body numbers on 365 Boxers, those are not very sequential at all, so I would be surprised if they were for the Daytona. I speculate that the bodies and engines were created in batches and then matched with chassis' in a fairly random ("pull one from the rack") kind of way. In any case I think it is neigh on impossible to make calculations about production rates based on just 2 cars.

Onno

20. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    CH
    Spyders where not " cut down coupes" , to verify this, the guy who is restoring my car [ Mike Osgood] worked for Ferrari for 30 years and new the guys at Scaglietti well and has confirmed this, as he visited the line many times, there are also around twenty [ I have not counted them so don't quote me on this and USA spyders are different to Euro one's] differences in chassis design between the two including the A posts! Also if you check out the Spyder production line photo i posted you will see the folding gig which go's all the way around the front of the car, which would not be necessary if the car had been cut from a coupe.
    Just thought i would clear that up.
    Grant

21. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I have to defer to Chuck Queener for the 'cut down coupe' comment. That was from his information when the Spyder series began in 1971. Likely the build process evolved as they became more efficient in producing the Spyder version for two different markets. The body build pictures you shared are useful to illustrate what was being done at that time period.
    CH

22. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    Serial numbers dont indicate the order in which the cars were finished; An example is 365GTC/4s - 14667 was # 58 built, 14673 #53, 14675 #56, 14679#28 , etc. The cars may have been built as to chassis sequentally but the bodies, not built by Ferrari, were installed without regard to the SN sequence.

23. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    #23 bighitter2, Oct 30, 2009
    i had this discussion with the restorer of my daytona, he used new sheet metal aquired from ferrari in the late 80's his question at the time was 'how sharp do i make the fender lines'? or do i leave them as is on the new sheet metal?he took measurements off a 600 mile untouched original spyder and said the lines were not bold or curved they came straight foward and feathered away before reaching the turn indicator light as you have stated ... this same topic came up at the international ferrari meet in 2004 at 'the quail lodge' i was looking at 2 cars that were painted by 'Juniors house of color'' and was told that 'Juniors' like to make the line more bold and curve the front fender line 'in' to the edge of the turn indicator... some say this changes the car from its 'factory' build lines......there were 2 spyders there one red one 5000 mile car that was color changed from red to black..i took a picture of the black spyder that had this done..my car's new front clip was left the way it came from ferrari the line was straight and feather out as it came toward the turn indicator light,very hard to catch in a picture i looked at several coupes also, fender lines and boldness seemed to be different with every painter..cars by 'Junior' all looked like this..

24. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #24 Marcel Massini, Oct 30, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
    14397 was born as a Berlinetta, not a Spider.
    14397 was completed on the 16th July 1971 already, not September (that's the delivery date). The original color was Rosso Chiaro 20-R-190 with Nero VM 8500 leather interior. RHD, delivered new to Maranello Concessionaires (MC Order #517). It is assembly sequence #559. 14397 was sold new to Dudley Mason-Styrron in Churt, near Farnham, UK. Registered on the 10th September 1971 on UK plates "DMS 2". The next Daytona built (Assembly sequence #560) was S/N 14451 (Argento Metallizzato 106-E-1 with Nero 8500 interior) which was later also cut into a Spider. 14451 also went to Maranello Concessionaires (MC Order #518) who sold it to first owner R. Davis, registered 8th October 1971 on UK plates "ANK 1K".
    The original 121 Daytona Spiders built have their own assembly sequence numbers.

Marcel Massini

25. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Great picture there showing the fender line. It does fade out before the turn signal. Cars done by Junior do indeed have a sharper than factory finished fender line. Someone wanted that 'sharp' look on their restored Daytona and Junior obliged. The later Daytona models he worked on then continued to get that sharp look. He said 'it was done out of habit' after that from doing so many cars...
    CH