My buddy sets drag racing world record | FerrariChat

My buddy sets drag racing world record

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by AnotherDunneDeal, Oct 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #1 AnotherDunneDeal, Oct 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Gene Hector in his Smallblockmafia '63 Vette Pro Mod reset the record at Ennis, Texas (Texas Motorplex) on an off the trailer run of 3.83/190 on the 1/8 mile track. Then had the record beaten later the same weekend. At least he can say he held the world record for a while....

He believes his new car will be sorted out enough to run in the 3.70-200mph range very soon..

I posted a pretty lengthy thread in the Texas section about an upcoming ProMod shootout we are having out here November 6th and 7th. You might check it out.

www.smallblockmafia.com
    www.texasraceway.com
    www.texasmotorplex.com
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ryankjb

ryankjb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    That's awesome!. He must have been pretty bummed when it got broken a few days later, though. But, like you said, for a little while no one was faster.

I've always wanted to drive a drag car, it must be such an incredible experience, and give you a rush like nothing else.

3. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Way cool! Looks as mean as a SR-71 Blackbird.

4. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Two months ago he crossed the finish line on the two right side tires. He had gotten crossed up about halfway down and slightly clipped the rail tipping him up on two wheels. He still crossed in 4.7 seconds at over 160mph. He was able to regain control and keep it poinhted straight and not even take out the lights. It has been giving him some real fits trying to get the handling sorted out.......

And it really is built from a small block engine, not one of the 600-700 cubic inch monster motors. And these have to run on racing gasoline only if they are supercharged. They can run nitrous if they run fuel injection.

The clutch man on this car was previouly the engine builder for Eddie Hills top fuel world champion car. He is related to me by marriage.......

5. Pitpass

Pitpass Karting

Apr 2, 2009
    Nice car and nice run but 1/8 drag races are lame. Ditto for 1000 ft runs.

6. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    LOVE that nighttime shot!

In the daylight, I'm not seeing so much 63 Vette there.....;-)
    I don't remember the rear fenders being so tall..........? memory must be fading.....;-)

7. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    My background comes from 1/4 mile racing as you can see in my avatar. The clutchman on this car was the engine builder for Eddie Hills Pennzoil Top Fuel dragster when it set the record and when Eddie was world champion.

A 3.83 et in the 1/8 would produce a run of about 5.5 seconds in the 1/4. Pretty good numbers for a door slammer running racing gasoline, no nitrous or nitro.............

No, not funny car or top fuel numbers but a real blast, especially if you are the one in the drivers seat. Have you ever driven a car capable of these numbers? If you have not, I think you would really be taken back to feel what it is like to do it. An ultimate rush.............

8. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #8 AnotherDunneDeal, Oct 31, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
    No, it is not an exact '63 body. It is longer, wider and certainly has fenders raised enough to house the slicks used on a car like this. If you have been around drag racing very much you know they produce replica bodies to put over racing chassis. Heaven knows that there is not a production car on the road anywhere that is anywhere close to the body on a funny car. Look at the John Force Mustang and tell me it looks anything like something you can buy......

9. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #9 AnotherDunneDeal, Oct 31, 2009
  10. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I agree.

And to the point about cars looking like the real thing, Funny Cars look horrible. As I've posted, I cut my drag fan teeth on the FCs of the early 70's, when they LOOKED like the real deal. I realize technology and the desire to go faster has caused this, but I'd prefer we go back to 1320 ft for the fuel cars and remove the aero to slow them down. Probably also consider reduction of block size, but this 1000 ft nonsense stinks.

Same applies for NASCAR and F1 - make the cars look better, you might pick up some fans.

11. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Agree,

My favorite time in drag racing was front engine fuel dragsters that smoked all the way through, fuel altered and their wild rides, Dick Harrell, Dick Landy, Ronnie Sox, Don Nicholson, Grumpy Jenkins, Gene Snow, Gas Ronda, Jungle Jim and so many more of the pioneers......

It has become so commercialized that the privateer has no chance of even making the show, much less winning something big. Maybe a round or two but almost impossible to go against the big boys weekend after weekend. The pockets are not deep enough.........

12. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
  13. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Go to Daytona and drive he top fuel cars they have that run on propane and are on tracks - not the same as real but pretty close - it is across from the track and a little west. when at the Daytona 500, I always go over there with a few friends (after a few drinks) and race each other - lots of fun

JOHN E

14. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    Any drag racing fan driving on Interstate 75 in north-central Florida MUST budget a hour or two to spend at the Don Garlits museums in Ocala. Two side-by-side buildings, one housing a classic car/antique workshop recreation, the second holds the drag racing collection. You by a ticket for one or both depending on your interests. Good starting point for car/fun rallies. Roughly one hour north of Orlando via Florida Turnpike & I-75. maybe a little longer from Tampa.

If you've never seen a "Wally" before, there's a case of them. When you walk into the small room and pause amid the 12 to 16 AA/top-fuel motors, it becomes a silent shrine to horsepower, the sight of Keith Black motors makes the silence deafening.

With a little bit of more work on the collection and the facility, this place could become the Smithsonian of drag racing. Open everyday but Christmas but check their web-site to make sure. Sort of a diamond-in-the-rough but would love to see improved with a karting track, junior dragstrip and die-cast model factory outlet all on one site.

KevFla

15. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #15 AnotherDunneDeal, Oct 31, 2009
    It really is an interesting place to go. I doubt that Don Garlits will do much more to expand it and that is a shame. It holds some of the most interesting and innovative pieces of drag racing memorbilia ever. Yes, it certainly worth making a visit to for the drag racing fan....

Keith Black built one of my old Fuel altered motors way back in the 70's. I have no idea where that engine is now.......or the car I had it in..........I may have to do some research to see if I can locate them. I had no idea back than that a Keith Black engine would become a collector piece.

One view in the museum. Garlits on a smoky run and then the moment of his clutch explosion and the aftermath. And the fact that the flywheel exiting the car cut off the front half of his foot......

16. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Went to the Pro Mod shootout last night and talked to my buddy Gene Hector. He was having some wheelshake problems with the car and went out in the first round with a 4.08 to a 3.93.

Also found out that he still holds the world record at 3.83, for a small block. The Pro Mod record is a 3.71 but it is with a big block.