Ron | FerrariChat

Ron

Discussion in 'F1' started by brian.s, Oct 31, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Good to see Ron Dennis back at the races, now Mad Max is history.

2. Alex1015

Alex1015 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2005
    USA
    That was one of my first thoughts when I saw him. Looks like he was just biding his time until Max was finally gone

3. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks I missed it.
    Ron has earned a place in F1. Max has earned an exit;)

4. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh
    Regardless of how you may feel with regard to Ron Dennis, you have to give him props for his time in F1. He helped usher in a more professional atmosphere into F1 and along with others such as BE was responsible for taking F1 from being a garagiste activity by mostly amateurs and transforming it into a PR-driven, professional appearance that was cultivated to be attractive to large corporate sponsors. Although others had started F1 down this path, Ron was the one that took his corporate appearance to the highest level, made his team attractive to the corporate world, and maintained this appearance by demanding professional conduct and appearance by all team members.

To me this will be his legacy.

IMHO, RD's main problem is that he was bitter personal enemies with Mad Max and Max was not merciful and give it in full to RD at every possibility. In many circumstances, McLaren was punished far more harshly than other teams for the same offense. We have seen it over and over and over... Max made it his personal duty to drag RD and his team through the mud and discredited him at every opportunity.

Message of the story is to not p*** off heads of organizations with absolute power. It usually ends in tears. Poor RD, with his reputation in tatters, all that he worked for years to accomplish, Max tarnished and destroyed at every opportunity.

Regardless of how you feel about McLaren, you have to admire the accomplishments of a strong competitor. It is far more gratifying to win on the track rather than due to Max's out-of-line punishment of a team, that ruins their competitiveness and diminished the accomplishments of a great team such as Ferrari. It is a far greater feeling to defeat an opponent at the peak of his powers, than a crippled, inneffective team...

Frank

5. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hear hear ...:)

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1.

I think RD is a huge dic...tator BUT one can't ignore what he has archieved!

7. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1000
    Excellent post .

8. P1-EH

P1-EH Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2007
    Waterloo, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The stewards, under the direction of Jean Todt, who is under the direction of Max Mosley, have announced a 10 spot grid penalty for the '10 Australian Grand Prix to each McLaren car for 'the unauthorized presence of a Ron Dennis in the Paddock'.

9. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Ron's appearance today may have more to do with his long standing Mid-East connections than anything else.
    Still it was good to see him back.

10. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    +1. his road cars are basically being financed by mid-eastern banks

11. sambomydog

sambomydog Guest

May 23, 2009
    Great post. I never had a problem with RD. He did what he did with great efficiency IMO.

12. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I am sure there was a big component of PR with his financiers in the reason behind his being there.

But I have no doubt there was a component of "FU Max!" of him being prominently there as well. And I am sure it irked Mosley to see it.

And that makes Ron smile. And me too. :D

13. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Well that too, but I'm sure Ron came despite that;)