Thinking of moving to Denver area | FerrariChat

Thinking of moving to Denver area

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by hdpt00, Nov 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Tell me what I should know... How much and often does it snow - can you drive a nice car at all during the winter?

I've seen Cherry Hills, Parker and Greenwood Village as nice places... any others to consider.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    On driving.....there are many really nice days in the winter. My biggest concern is gravel in the winter. Snow melts within a few days so the slick stuff is gone in a reasonable time frame. You can't drive the performance car every day but if want to get out several times a month, it is not a problem.

Many nice places in Denver Metro....if you need a good realtor, let me know -- i have a good friend in the business.

3. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Have any more info about certain cities?

4. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It can snow anytime from Labor day to Memorial day but 60's and 70's are fairly common in January. Winter is actually the driest time of year on the east side of the divide. I would advise doing a search on weather and climate. You don't mention where you live so it's hard for us to compare. You might also disclose the types of recreation you like to get better advice.

Dave

5. rachidbaligh

rachidbaligh Karting

Dec 18, 2008
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Rachid
    Cherry Creek, Washington Park and Hilltop are also really nice areas, lots of out of state people think that we get as much snow( here in Denver) as mountain towns , but that's not the case, we have plenty of sunny days and you never see lingering dirty snow like in the east coast.. try filling out your profile , it'll only help you ;)

6. Pantera

Pantera F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2004
    #6 Pantera, Nov 14, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
    You won't get good weather in Colorado period.

It snows or it rains often.

living here all my life the weather is frustrating its like on the days when you want to enjoy your car BAM! severe storms. The weekend is approaching and you get a winter storm that starts on friday and ends on sunday night.

If you move here I highly recomend bringing a 4x4 of somekind. otherwise be prepared to be upset and disapointed manytimes out of the year especially durring the winter months.

I get to drive in the winter months but not as often as id like to.

7. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    hehe....nice response......by the way, it is a little difficult giving recommendations without know what you like......city vs. suburbs vs acrerage etc. There are many really nice areas here.....my favorite is certain parts in the Parker/Castle Pines/Castle Rock/Franktown area but that is just my personal taste. I do like some of the areas around Ken Caryl Valley as well. Best bet is to speak to a realtor to help you nail it down a little, then ask for feedback on those specific areas. You will get better responses.

8. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Here are some statistics:
    Denver #1 as the most "stressed" out city in the US.

Colorado #4 is the "happiest" state

#1 tourist attraction in Colorado is Cherry Creek.

Highest income per capita in Colorado is zip code 80108 Castle Pines Village (Douglas County). Beats out Aspen, Vail etc.

Forbes Magazine ranks Parker #4, Casltle Rock #5, and Highlands Ranch #20 as the top 25 places in the US to relocate. All three cities are in Douglas County.

Lastly don't let anyone tell you Denver has more sunny days than San Diego. A total falsehood. Marty Coniglio, channel 9, clear up this misconception. It has to do with the definition of "sunny". Marty said if the sun comes out for a "few" minutes then the day is classified as sunny. Whereas in San Diego the sun has to come out for "hours" to be classified as a sunny day.

9. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    #9 05011994, Nov 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    +1 The weather is usally pretty good; I live at 7,300 feet in the foothills and get the Ferrari out more than enough over the winter months. Denver gets far less snow than the foothills and the mountains. Per Dave's response above we live in a semi-arid climate so it is much drier once you are east of the foothills. We have had a couple of big storms each of the last 4 years, but the snow typically melts away fairly quickly. Plenty of days with sunshine, but the weather can change overnight on you, both good and bad. I have lived in other places like Dallas that do not have as much sunshine. I have travelled a ton and would have a hard time not living in Colorado, it really is that special. Plus we have some pretty good roads to drive on as well, this hot is from late September near Telluride.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #10 hardtop, Nov 15, 2009
  11. cobmw

cobmw Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 22, 2006
    Rocky Mountain area
    Your reaction to Colorado weather will depend on where you come from. If you come from California like I did you will say that the weather here is a real pain. I feel like it constantly controls my mood and the things I do. Nevertheless you can get in some driving in the winter with the caveat about the gravel put on the roads to reduce skids. If you come from the midwest or northeast you say that Colorado weather is mild by comparison.

12. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    The gravel here is a sore point with me. The mixture has granite in it. The granite seems to be the main reason for broken windshields and pitted paint. My State Farm agent told me the #1 claim in Colorado is broken windshields. I'm surprised insurance companies haven't banded together to get the granite removed from the mixture.

13. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I haven't found it! Snow, wind, gravel, sand storms, ,stress, chips, hail,window cracks,now registration fees that have markedly increased for no apparent reason! My 4 collector cars including the Ferrari will be put away till approx. the end of May. I can't imagine who designed the roads in Denver as there is hardly a one that is level,straight and not plagued with obstructions. If you are moving from say the North East, or Mid West you may see the move as some improvement as there are many sunny days. For my family it is back to Fl. @ 7 yrs. Just for the Ferrari expect to pay from 600.00 to 1500/yr for tags. Make sure you add winshield protection on your insurance as you certainly are going to need it here.
    I'm sorry if my review may offend some who love it here, but I can defend all the objections that I raised!
    Docf

14. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Yep, my Scuderia tags are close to $3600 a year.

15. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    But that will drop every year until it gets to $100 or so at 10 years. My 2005 430 was down to about $800 this year. Some states don't have property tax on cars and so it is a bit of shock. Other states have much higher fees. RE property tax is much more reasonable than most states. It's all about the mix of taxes and anyone contemplating a move should investigate to see if it's better or worse than where they are overall.

Dave

16. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Not really possible since the Colorado rockies are pretty much all granite to start with. Most of my broken windshields actually occurred in the summer. Rocks on the road are a fact of life here regardless of season.

Dave

17. IndianaFRC

IndianaFRC Karting

May 11, 2008
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I drive my cars all year around.

18. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Any problems with windshields getting cracked?

19. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    I guess I am just lucky, I am up and down I70 in the foothills every day for the last 6 years and have never lost a windshield. I have had a couple of small chips, but no cracks.

20. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    Did a stint for 1.5 yrs in the mid 1990's up in Boulder...after years of "8 inches of snow at Stapleton" weather broadcasts on national TV, the snow scene in Denver/Boulder was the biggest surprise to me of anything I ran into.

Found out that one really doesn't need four wheel drive in the winter to get around...

Usually a decent ground temp, high altitude, plenty of sun means the snow melts really quickly.

21. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    If you enjoy going to live sports events, Denver is the place for you or at least close by.

I am not impressed with Denver public schools. Cherry Creek and Jefferson County are better. Aspen is the best.

I lived in Denver for several years...Cherry Creek. And lived in Evergreen for a few years. I prefer living in the mountains. Smog can be a big problem in Denver when the inversions set in...no fireplace use. And all your cars have to be smog inspected every two years. A real pain. Even have to do this in Jeffco and Colo Spgs.

I think there is lots of crime in Denver, especially downtown. Cherry Creek is no exception. Like any big city.

My goal in life was to live in Aspen and we love it here. the most expensive real estate in the state. but worth it.

Let us know what your needs are and we can be more specific.

Good luck.

22. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    I always encourage people to consider Genesee. It is a foothill community just 20 minutes from downtown Denver. Stunningly beautiful with mountain and city views and a nice selection of Ferrari's and Porsches. Homes range from $400k to $5M. I have been privilaged to live here for 5 years and wouldn't live anywhere else. Many good sports car roads too! Best of luck.

23. hdpt00

hdpt00 F1 Rookie

Jul 15, 2005
    Earth
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    Are you able to drive year round? I hear the snow melts pretty fast, so is driving a nice car once a week usually possible (at least in Denver area)? Are the roads really that bad and with pebbles in them?

I know you love Aspen, but it's a bit too remote for me and want to be near a big city.

24. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I drove the Fcar Tuesday (two days ago) and could have driven it every day this week. there is never a lack of things to do here. and skiing is sooo convenient. People take a run before work, after work or at lunch. most employers provide you with a pass.

there is even more to do in the summer.

Life is good.

25. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    #25 05011994, Dec 17, 2009
    +1 I have lived in Genesee for 6 years, it is one of the best kept secrets in the metro area. I can be downtown in 25 minutes, hike for 2 hours on the trail system without running into anyone else, we have better snow removal than in the city, and fantastic views and open space. Like you I cannot imagine living anywhere else, it is not bad coming home to this view every night.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login