roadster vs daytona | FerrariChat

roadster vs daytona

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by 95spiderman, Nov 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    ive been interested in gold/ss rolex daytona for while but recently saw cartier roadster xl chronograph and was very impressed. not sure if i like the stainless with black face which has steel and black nylon bracelets or the gold with the nylon strap. cartier seems more distinctive vs rolex which is so similar to other watches.

opinions and how do sale prices differ? thanks

2. Bluehinder

Bluehinder Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2005
    Colorado
    Every man needs to own a Daytona at least once. It's the icon Rolex, and stunning in either black or white. I have white.

Roadster is not in the same class as Daytona, imho.

3. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    Long term I think the Daytona will be iconic, if it isn't already. The Roadster will be out of style in a few years. Resale will be better on the Daytona if that matters.

4. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    hasnt roadster been around for long time already? i thought that rounded rectangular cartier shape is a classic too

what are the other watches that would compete with roadster and which for daytona? prices for gold with strap are about 13k for cartier and 16k for rolex so not far apart

5. Ray G

Ray G Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    Newport, RI
    Yes the Roadster has been around for over 10 years. Cartier does a great job of making watches tht don't go out of style. The tonneau shape has been used for over 75 years.

Have you checked out Breitling?

4re308 likes this.
  6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    The Cartier will be a lot less.

7. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    is daytona considered top line rolex or is president?

(cartier is 13k and daytona is 16k so about 20% less)

8. Ray G

Ray G Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    Newport, RI
    I guess you could say the Daytona is the top of the line since it is the most complicated watch that they make.

9. Bluehinder

Bluehinder Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2005
    Colorado
    Rolex makes more watches than the Daytona, but in terms of desireability, the Daytona has long been considered the watch to covet in the Rolex line. For a long time, they were nearlly unobtainable unless you had a relationship with the dealer.

In the end, buy what smiles at you when you put in on your wrist.

I might add, Rolex keeps the price of the Daytona high, raising it every year. It will be the better investment.

10. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    #10 95spiderman, Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
    im going to go with gold roadster with black nylon strap. decision for me now is whether or not to customize it with black face which is only available in stainless steel. i think this would look great

dealer i know did similar for my wifes rolex and will do it for me for $1k and will warantee it himself for 2yrs since factory warantee will be void. ive been told this will still be a problem as cartier repair parts will be impossible to get. i dont know so is it worth the risk?

11. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Good Call. I purchased a Roadster XL in basic steel and silver for $6200 when I graduated college. All of them come with the interchangeble bracelet. I originally went to get the XL chrono but decided that the Standard XL looked more sleek and would age better. I also thought the black one was sharp until I saw it in real life. I don't follow why people are saying that the resale on the cartier is bad. They are limited run watches and have one of the highest resale values of any company and are very sturdy against abuse. The last I checked 8 months ago, the XL model had APPRECIATED in value. The Daytona is very nice, but in terms of quality, I think the cartier feels more solid. I have been trying to get into rolexes, but they just don't seem as solid. Go play with both of them and I think you will immediately notice the difference.

4re308 likes this.
  12. Ray G

Ray G Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    Newport, RI
    How about a Daytona with a black mother of pearl dial? They do make the gold Daytona with the black mother of pearl. Then you don't have warranty issues.

13. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    hi ray. im going to go with cartier. just cant decide if i want to take risk on custom one. if not, i will be buying std gold one from you. (some might think its risky doing $12+k purchase over phone but anyone with a good rep on fchat is honest enough for me!)

14. Mojosan

Mojosan Formula 3

Jan 31, 2008
    NJ
    Daytona.

I love the look of the Roadster, and eventually I'll get one, but the Daytona is an iconic watch.

I have a stainless white face and an 18k with the zenith movement.

Prices are down right now for the first time in my adult life. You can get a SS Daytona in near mint condition for around $9k.

15. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    #15 95spiderman, Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
    darn! i was all set to go with the gold roadster when i get a catalogue from london jewelers who have a chopard mille miglia yellow gold chrono with black face and rubber strap. its really, really nice and much less $ than the cartier also

guess i will have to go look at them now but how do these 2 watches compare? also how does the roadster nylon strap hold up to getting wet esp with salt water?

thanks

16. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I cannot speak from experience. I have worn mine with the steel bracelet in pools/water and its fine. The nylon strap I only use for dress occasions sometimes. It will come with both bracelets so you can change to the metal/gold if you think you're going to be around water. I want to get a chopard for my mother but I don't like their floating diamond nonsense in the dials and I don't think she will either. Got any pics of the one you're looking at?

17. huichoval

huichoval Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2009
    texas
    Full Name:
    luis
    which ever you like best. rolex has higher resale value though.

18. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    #18 95spiderman, Dec 19, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
    just got gold cartier roadster chrono with strap from grenon's jewlers of newport road island and cant be happier! was a little apprehensive ordering such expensive item by credit card over phone and was immediately put at ease by ray, the owner. he had best price and pleasure to deal with which is unusual to hear coming from me as im hard to satisfy. thank you ray

ronfrohock likes this.
  19. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Time for some pics! :)

20. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    #20 95spiderman, Dec 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. Ray G

Ray G Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    Newport, RI
    Thank you! Wear it in good health!

22. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Congrats on the buy and welcome to the roadster club!

23. cscott67

cscott67 Formula Junior

May 13, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Nice choice. I have the daytona, and it is nice to have something different too........sorta like F-cars. Best wishes to you and yours during the holidays, Scott

24. albert328gts

albert328gts Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    I love Cartier watch's, and own several but the only one I bought and got rid of was the Roadster. My Daytona, white face D series will be with forever. Its the only Rolex I own and will give it to my son. Money wise, the Daytona will always go up in value.

25. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    hi scott! hows the old car doing? did u make any changes? would love to see fotos and happy holidays to you guys too