Boxer Engine Clamshell Removal & Refit | FerrariChat

Boxer Engine Clamshell Removal & Refit

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 2dinos, Nov 17, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Any elegant ways to remove & refit the Boxer engine cover by yourself? It's nice to save the calls to friends as much as possible. I guess the whole cover weighs about 50 pounds.

2. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    By yourself? This really is a two person job, Bruce. I'd estimate the weight at closer to 75lbs....The most elegant way to remove them is to pull the hinge pins...rather than unbolt them.

David

3. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day 2Dinos,

Indeed, what David says it true. That being said, I was able to remove my clamshell myself by creating a supporting rig attached to my ceiling. It was a bit of work and really not worth it. In this particular case (and a few others :) ) excitement ruled over logic as it was in the middle of the night and so I was anxious to get the engine out.

As for the hinge-pins...this would be the preferred method, however, mine were seized so bad that they would not budge at all. I tried numerous approaches to removing the pins, but to no avail. Fortunately removing the brackets and realigning the clamshell (when re-installing) is rather easy and so I had no issues going this route.

Cheers,

Sam

4. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    There's a lot of ingenuity on this site. I figured it was worth asking.

BTW: My pins are totally siezed. Otherwise, this sounds like a great way to go about it.

Thanks again.